Sumo the Software Update Monitor

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by markymoo, Dec 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Thanks for the tip, but that doesn't answer the questions that have arisen. What is RK, which files and registry entries are installed, what does it do and why is it there? Has the spyware issue been resolved?

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

3. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

I said it before, I say it again : if you want to reject RK, you can do it during installation. And if you don't want to hear about RK at all, that's why the "Lite" version is here.

Please move along to something more related to SUMo itself...

5. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

If you choose to bundle it into one package I think the question is highly 'related to SUMo itself' indeed. Since Wilders is a security forum, I believe this to be an appropriate place to discuss the question why your acclaimed app is bundled with spyware.

You are avoiding my questions, so I am asking you again: What is RK, which files and registry entries are installed, what exactly does it do and why is it there in the first place?

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

7. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Can't say more. Thanks.

If you don't trust RK : use the LITE version of SUMo.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Kyle, with all due respect, whilst one can use the lite version instead, you're already tarnishing your reputation by associating yourself with this known spyware in the full installation package. That is the point users are making.

If security vendors are flagging RK as spyware, that alone should tell you something.

9. Steven Avery

Steven Avery Registered Member

Hi Folks,

Kyle, I have to second Tony here. I was interested in Sumo .. and KCleaner especially .. and would have looked at your other softwares (and perhaps included some in a separate thread on "fully free" software for biz) until we started to get the weave and dodge about RK, which looks like an especially bitter little spyware.

Right now your software is in the same league to me as Comodo and PDF Creator, ie. coming from companies whom I simply do not trust on my system, and I will not tell my firewall/HIPS or A-V that you are a "trusted" application .. thus they will not be used. There are good other alternatives with no such difficulty. While I personally may find way to use softwares from these three companies mentioned with no malware or spyware or crapware (e.g. install a Lite version, install an older version, install one package but not the other), I will not do so knowing that hundreds of other folks are being cajoled or tricked into installs that are simply not right.

Understand .. even if you think you are stuck in some sort of relationship with RK, you probably have an "out" if you read carefully and get good advice. Sometimes you simply have to say no, and move on, taking a financial hit for awhile. Or at the very least you could share the details and seek some assistance. If there is a non-disclosure agreement, where you can't even tell anybody what is your arrangement, then at least be forthright to tell the security world that you are stuck with this situation for X months, and due to a non-disclosure agreement the details can't be discussed.

On the other hand, if the $ you receive monthly from RK is the driving factor, then surely you can understand why we are taking a completely hands-off approach.

I sincerely hope you can understand the gravity of this situation and begin to handle it very differently, so your software can come back up for consideration.

Also, my appreciation to those on these Wilder's threads who have dug out the various details.

Thanks.

Shalom,
    Steven Avery
    Queens, NY

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  10. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Hi Seteven

I fully understand your point of view. I can understand that people wouldn't trust companies which sole activity is related to online surveys & ads.

However :
    - RK is still trustes by TRUSTe, which let me think that from a data security point of view, it may be contested but not considered as a threat according to a respectable third party.
    - I clearly stated everywhere that the "normal" version are sponsored by RK with clear description of the reason and the content of this sponsorship. I acknoledge that my early distribution wasn't clear enougth. Now, everything's OK from most people point of view.
    - I "promote" the Lite version as much as the "sponsored" version.

To be honest, our shareware sales dropped by about 70% compared to last year. As we are talking about 15 USD products there's nothing I can do in terms of pricing and since we are a company, we had to find a compensation.

Sponsoring, as a developper, is not the solution that I first considered and be sure that i'm not "proud" of not having found an alternative. But I had to go that way, and did my best to be honnest and fully transparent with my end users.

Sincerely,

Kyle

11. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

And you know the real reason for that ?

12. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Maybe people have found better place to use a couple of bucks....

13. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 2.6.3
    ============

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

14. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Im getting Server offline message:doubt: .
    It's been 2 days since ive checked for updates.
    Any 1 had the same problem??

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

yes, im having that same problem, i had it yesterday and didnt check today tho.

16. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Server has been down for a couple of days. Everything's fixed, up and running !

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

thx, just tried and works.

18. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

working .:D

19. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

You're welcome !

20. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

SUMo - 2.7.3
    ============

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?sumo

21. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Thanks Kyle.

Perhaps this will interest you - I get these two when closing SUMo (occasionally). Haven't had that with v2.6.3 -

sumo240110a.png
    sumo240110b.png

Cheers,

22. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Hi !

That's very interesting !
    Would you please post the content of your SUMo.log after crash occurs ?

23. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

24. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

What the heck is "Relevant Knowledge"?

I just installed this Sumo, i had surveys and garbage popping up i tried to kill it and it locked up my whole machine requiring a reboot. :mad:

Time for a thorough malware scan it seems.

25. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

As stated a few post above, RK is our sponsor.

SUMo lite as well as ZIP package, avaialble on our website do NOT contain RK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.