Straight from the Horses Mouth

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by DVD+R, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Today I called ESET and asked a few questions about ESS. What I was told will astound you :eek:

This program has been released without rigourous testing, and the Advice straight from ESET themselves was to remove it as there are far too many issues at the moment, and wait until at least February or even March Next year before even looking at it again...

Its entirely up to you, but I for one will certainly be removing it, even though I havent experienced and irregularites untill everythings smoothed out.

DVD+R

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Really strange.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

Generally, I eschew anything that might emit from any orifice of any equine.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Generally Just its rear end huh John :cautious: with bucket and Spade in Hand :shifty:

5. lych

lych Registered Member

Somehow, I doubt Eset would sell a product and inform their customers not to use it. Who did you talk to on the phone about this? Eset directly or a reseller (if so, which one)?

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you :cautious: Maybe it was Santa Clause :shifty:

7. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Sounds like a disgruntled reseller, an Eset employee would have his/her head on the block for a quote like that.
    :ouch:

8. MarkJamesNodUK

MarkJamesNodUK Registered Member

As the Senior Technician here at ESET UK, I would be very interested in who you have spoken too, perhaps you could send me a private message or leave me a phone number and I can contact you direct.

Many thanks in advance
    Mark James

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Hmm, yes lets tell him so someone can be fired for being honest. What a world we live in.

10. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

Or a disgruntled employee.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

true, but you can also look at this 2 ways to. If it was me, I would have thought that hey, the guy is being honest and I actually appreciate that. Yeah some kinks to work out but at least he told me what was best. 2.7 is a proven winner, no one here can dispute that. So I take his advice, stick with Eset, continue to use 2.7 until I get the "word". So it isnt always a bad thing, being "honest" .

12. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I guess that Eset should give their 3.0 customers all an extra six months or so on their licenses...

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Folks,

Without speaking to the details that DVD+R mentions, if a user is experiencing specific issues with either a new version release (NOD32 V3) or an upgraded product (ESS V3), the prudent recommendation would be to step back to the most recent stable version (NOD32 V2.7) until the specific problems were fully sorted out. Naturally, this would involve removing the current version.

With respect to a general statement such as "remove it as there are far too many issues at the moment, and wait until at least February or even March Next year before even looking at it again...", I just don't see that as being necessarily appropriate advice to anyone regarding any product in the absence of specific and articulated issues, while that same advice could be quite prudent under other circumstances. There seems to be some context missing here, and it's not necessarily on DVD+R's side, it could be from the person on the other end of the support line.

Blue

14. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I really don't believe this at all!

15. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

If this were written communication, the TOS would prevent disclosure unless both parties agreed, but since this was a verbal communication, there's really no way to validate the conversation.

In those cases, I generally take what was relayed as an accurate statement of the message received. It may not have been what the other party meant to convey, but let's assume that it is, in fact, the gist of the message received and go from there. It's either decent advice, decent advice with some caveats, or generally bad advice. In this case, I'd go with the middle option. There are some circumstances in which quickly implementing the initial field release of version X.0 of anything is not the best course of action.

Blue

16. ASpace

ASpace Guest

And we can all agree that the very first public version of v2 hasn't been the best one . However , the latest one - 2.70.39 is really the one! Right? :thumb:

17. lych

lych Registered Member

It makes me wonder why someone who hasn't experienced any "irregularites" would call Eset's technical support :rolleyes:. Desperate for friends maybe? Anyways, I find it best to not feed the trolls (even though I can't help it sometimes ;))

18. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

This is one thread I'm just going to ignore.

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Does ESET Smart Security have bugs? Certainly, just as any other piece of software which is sufficiently complex enough to do anything useful is going to have them.

Could it have been tested longer? The program could have been stayed in beta for perpetuity but that doesn't mean it would have been any better upon release. There is no question that the engineers always want to find one more thing to fix, add one more feature, et cetera. There is a specific time, though, at which you reach the point of diminishing return, where all you are left with are nonreproducible bug reports and enhancement requests that are of marginable benefit to anyone. And, as the saying goes, at some point you have to shoot the programmer and ship the code.

To state, though, that ESET Smart Security or ESET NOD32 Antivirus were released without going through rigourous testing is simply not true. The programs went through seven months of public beta testing and before that there was internal testing for a longer amount of time. During that period, hundreds of bugs and enhancement requests were logged in and addressed by the developers. This certainly does not mean that everything that could be fixed was fixed or that everything which could be added was added, there are always going to be things which cannot be addressed, but enough of them were that the programs were judged to be of sufficient quality to be released, and they were. The response from the public (customers, reviewers, et cetera) to the releases has been positive, and I consider ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3 to be a success.

It may seem like there are problems with the programs from reading some of the messages in the product support forum, but, the thing that you have to remember is that this is a product support forum, after all! The number of people who are going to call into technical support and wait in a call queue or take the time to register an account on a forum simply to say that a program is working correctly and they don't have any problems with it is statistically very small.

One thing to keep in mind is that some of the biggest changes with ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3 (and ESET Smart Security, antispam and software-based firewalls are not new technologies to the industry, after all) are not to how the programs work but how they look and where you go to look at information in them. A lot of people, employees included, who have been used to doing things one way and one way only have had to relearn how to do those things anew with the v3 products and for some people that can cause anxiety and frustration.

What I suspect happened was that an otherwise very-competent-with-NOD3 v2.x support person who was frustrated by this chose to take it out on you, and for that I do have to apologize. I can assure you this is not the way the support personnel are supposed to communicate with a customer. Sometimes those of us who live life from beta to beta forget what it is like for those who do not, and it is clear more training is needed to make sure everybody is comfortable with the changes going on around them.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Dont Belive What exactly? That I Spoke to someone at ESET or that I'm going to remove it? Either way, nobody is forcing you to believe anything.

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Its quite simple, because I've read all the Complaint posts, and decided to find out what all the fuss was about, and I found out :cautious: Being that what I was told, I decided on a personal matter to remove the said offender untill such time as it can actually be clarified that the bugs and imperfections had been Ironed out. I havent as yet experienced such, but neither do I want to, therefore I removed it.......End.

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Get out then Stuey, and go down the pub for a pint instead :p

23. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

Not a bad idea DVD.:thumb:

24. bseos

bseos Registered Member

That was a quoate taken over from the Beta forum right before ESET ESS was mad available to the public.

So, YES, this program was rushed, it was released without rigorous testing and with many bugs and issues identified in beta which were not resolved in the final release so to rush it out the door.

25. bseos

bseos Registered Member

No!, what i suspect happened was a reputable support person giving his honest opinion on the product!
    It is exactly how i would want support personnel to communicate with me, and not just feed me the garbage the company tells them to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.