Interesting keylogger test

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

which is why it is a good practice to reboot immediately before using a credit card to pay on line.

2. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I wonder if any of the malware programs would detect this keylooger, like a-squared Anti-Malware, Spyware Terminator, or Windows Defender? And still wondering about Dynamic Security Agent.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  3. Henk1956

Henk1956 Registered Member

SafeSpace (with 'block keyloggers' activated) renders this keylogger useless when running in safespace. Even keystrokes entered in apps running in safespace are not detected by the keylogger.

Pretty good result for a free app.

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Figured I would give the "on screen keyboard" a try that's built into XP.
    And it failed also.
    I guess that might just help with maybe a hardware keylogger.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You are very right about this. Keylogger seem to act immediately, but they have to be on board first. You don't get keyloggers that easy, unless you visit and download everything on the internet.

I use the same method as Long View : reboot first, which removes any keylogger as a "change" and then I go directly to the website.
    My bank, which was the most dangerous activity (money !!!) on my computer, created such a complicated login procedure, that no keylogger is able to steal it. The password is changing constantly and the thief must have several attributes, to calculate this password, even a hardware device.

My freezing doesn't remove keyloggers only, it removes ANY change. Never heard of a scanner or any other software or real-time shield, that removes ANY change. The all remove something, but not all of it.

6. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

But can it remove the information that has already been taken?

7. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Lol, that is very logical. But I guess the case of a hardware placed keylogger is for home users nearly 0 and if you´d be in a office you could check the keyboard cable.

No. :D

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Of course not. When I remove any keylogger as a bad change, there is no keylogger to take information. :p

9. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

that's pretty impressive. safespace is a sweet app.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I reported failure of GW against this keylogger and have got a response from Brian. They will fix it for 32-bit version of GW.

11. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

Would welcome some advice please.

I have Online Armor Free and Prosecurity and KKEYLOGGER TEST is kept in my downloads directory. I login to Windows XPSP2 as an administrator account

When I click on KEYLOGGER TEST I get pop ups from both Prosecurity AND Online Armor. So both are doing their job, BUT when I click Block from the popup I get the following message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions"

Well as I said its an administrator account and Run Safer is not activated in Online Armor so there should not be a problem.

Then it gets weird, if I open up either Prosecurity or On line Armor I can then BLOCK KEYLOGGER TEST from within. No Windows messages about permissions.

Questions

1) Could this be a function of the Kelogger test?

2) Anybody else experienced it?

3) Hoow do solve it?

Thanks

Terry

12. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

This method is totally unknown and new to me, and apparently for some security vendor too. I am currently investigating this keylogging method to add it to AKLT. I have already a rushed working version but I have to test it more.

Does someone know the discoverer and author of this tool ? Is it the "wuliyen" from the first forum link given on the first post ? Credits will be given to the author.

Regards,
    gkweb.

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi gkweb! Thanks for your time. I have no idea about the author. I just got it from PC Tools forums, from the mentioned thread.

I just PMed him and will let you know if I got any info!

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

DSA, DSA , DSA. The chant continues. Can Dynamic Security Agent stop the holy terror, that is this keylogger test?

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

How about sharing a link for EQS 3.5 that most of us can find. Would be greatly appreciated and especially interesting IF 3.5 is this formidable against intrusions.

Boot-To-Restore with Frozen snapshot is useless since keylogger would already captured you input.

LAYER APPROACH is infinitely more reliable in this case. Frozen snapshot is vulnerable to many exploits, even FD-ISR's permissions are easily by-passed with the likes of XYPloyer, so i wouldn't put all my eggs in just one basket.

16. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

The same applies to Deep Freeze (Reboot-to-restore).

The question I ask of myself is, how will a (software) keylogger get installed? It is an executable; how will it get installed? Is the probability of that happening such that I should worry about it?

On another front, it's been shown that a XSS script can send out the information you type while on a web page that has such script embedded. To me, that is more worrisome than a software keylogger.

----
    rich

17. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You can Google it and get a RC EQS 3.5 setup installer. I'll be checking this out tomorrow for sure.

18. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I think so, the problem of a executable could become overshadowed eventually by keylogger scripts/exploits focussed on browser attacks who knows, anything is possible.

19. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

I concur with the above.

/C.

20. Long View

Is this the sort of thing that the noscript add on for Firefox is supposed to handle ?

21. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Yes :) Currently, NoScript is the only tool against XSS.

22. Long View

Thanks - was worried for a millisecond - can now go back to being irresponsible.
    :shifty:

23. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

I have just released AKLT v3.0 which includes this new keylogging method :
    http://www.firewallleaktester.com/news.htm

I had to add it to make AKLT complete, it has now 7 keylogging tests. Moreover, it does not use at all .NET, thus people who couldn't previously test will now be able to.

Thanks to aigle to have mentioned to me this topic.

Regards,
    gkweb.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  24. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I've been told that LS' solution doesn't cover all the XSS types and it's very basic currently.
    NoScript is much more powerful and hard to bypass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.