very long pauses during TI install, backup, and uninstall

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dsn, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsn

dsn Registered Member

This is really strange. Did a quick search of the forums and haven't seen any mention of it.

A couple months ago I bought and installed TI 10. The install went fine, but during my first (and subsequent) file/folder backups, the program would appear to lock up on the screen where I choose file extensions to exclude. However, Task Manager showed TI as running instead of the dreaded "not responding", so I waited around, then after 5 minutes it sprang back to life. Same thing happened when I finished setting backup options and started the backup. No indication of progress, no HD activity, and both CPU cores showed 0% utilization. After at least 5 minutes, everything suddenly started working and the backup proceeded normally. This same exact behavior happened every time I created a backup with TI.

Then, version 11 was released and I was able to download it since I'd only had version 10 a couple weeks. Hoping it would not show this behavior, I installed TI 11. Now I got a very long pause during the install. After about 10 minutes I killed the installer using Task Manager. A second attempt at installing TI 11 resulted in the same thing. I just left the room for a while, checked it occasionally, and after about 15 minutes the installer sprang back to life and finished the installation.

When I went to perform a backup with TI 11, I got the same 5-minute pauses at the same points in the backup process. Getting really annoyed by now, I decided to uninstall TI 11, and now I got a 15-20 minute pause during the uninstall process!

Has anyone seen anything like this -- 5 minute freezes while creating a backup, and 15 minute freezes during installation or uninstallation?

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

If you installed 11 overtop of 10, this often times causes grief. If yes,
    then I would un-install. Clear out the residue (except for backup archives) and re-install 11 to a fresh system.

Or, use one of your archives and restore your system back to when 10 was installed and then do a normal un-install.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dsn,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please collect some information to let us investigate the problem thoroughly?

Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

4. dsn

dsn Registered Member

Got sidetracked, but I'm finally getting back to this.

It can't be related to installing 11 without uninstalling 10, because the 5-minute-long pauses started showing up immediately when I first started using 10. This was on a system that had never seen any version of TI. They just continued when I upgraded to 11.

I'll also get a 5-minute pause if I start TI, then close it without doing anything. If I start it and perform a backup, then close it, the program closes immediately (but I get a 5-10 minute pause while I'm setting up the backup job).

Anyway, I'll try to get a support request started soon.

5. oracledba

oracledba Registered Member

the following is probably not the issue but it could be. Since trying this does no harm its worth a shot.

Its possible your HD has some bad clusters (weak areas). Windows has a utility to detect these, move data away from that spot and flag the spot to not be used again. The good news is anything found on that area will be moved to good areas of disk. If this keeps happening, I would say your drive is failing and shoudl be replaced. To perform the check use windows explorer right click on drive letter, them properties then tools then check now, select both automatically fix errors and check for bad clusters and apply/ok your way out. Its probable the utility will want to perform the task upon the next restart of your pc. If so let it setup that way and then reboot the pc. Be advised this utility check/fix can take a few hours particularly if there are issues. When its done your BC be back to your normal windows logon/desktop.

6. dsn

dsn Registered Member

Woo hoo! I definitely found the cause of the problem. This might be a candidate for an FAQ or knowledge base.

Just to summarize, I was getting VERY long (5-20 minutes) pauses while installing, uninstalling, and running True Image 10 and 11. These were definitely pauses and not hangs; I never saw the dreaded "not responding" in Task Mangler, and TI always eventually came out of it's coma and finished.

Anyway, this home-built computer has an Asus A8N-E AMD motherboard with an Nvidia Nforce4 ultra chipset. Due to a bad experience with an earlier nForce board, I did not install the Nvidia storage driver when I installed the chipset drivers. The generic Microsoft XP storage drivers generally work fine with this chipset. Knowing that True Image works the disk storage system extensively, on a hunch I reinstalled the latest Nvidia nForce4 chipset drivers, and this time I also selected the Nvidia storage drivers. True Image immediately started working like a champ! Previously I could not use the program without inducing a 10-20 minute pause every time; the program was basically unusable. Since installing the Nvidia storage drivers I haven't had a single pause in 3 days, including the installation. Response is lightning-fast.

I'm FINALLY able to use TI like it was intended to be used!

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dsn,

We are glad to hear that your issue has been solved and you can use Acronis True Image successfully. Sharing your experience is very much appreciated.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.