Is GeSWall dead?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by omega5475, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omega5475

omega5475 Registered Member

I'm having problems with GeSWall "hiding" files from Recycle Bin. Let's say I delete a file from an application which is isolated, it doesn't seem to go into Recycle Bin. After reboot, my Recycle Bin will show there are x items inside but there's actually none.

I emailed their support at least 3 times but never did receive a reply from them. Their last blog post was in July and the forum doesn't seem active as well.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I can,t be sure about their future. My last contact with them was 1 month back and at that time Brian told me that the silence was due to one month vacation there. There forum is quite silent and so is the web site.

I will not be surprized if they disappear. How many people use GW? Software development needs money and without a larage customer base, u can,t get enough money to go on.

Let,s hope that Brian was correct n they will be back on scene soon.

3. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

I agree with aigle, i send them 2 mails about the future of GeSWall 3 weeks ago and never received any answer.
    Last post made by them in Forum is at least one month old.
    Very sad if they have disappeared because GS is a very good product.
    Buyed a DefenseWall license to replace GW

MaB

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Your bin may be corrupted.
    Crrupted Bin
    Or you could use an app like Icesword to navigate to the bin and delete the hidden info file within.

Windows will recreate a new one at reboot.

5. omega5475

It's kind of stupid for the entire company to go on a vacation without leaving someone behind for customer support. At least make an announcement about it so people won't keep trying to contact them.

Franklin : My Recycle Bin isn't corrupted. It's just that the files sent to Recycle Bin are somehow "hidden". If I accidentally delete files from an isolated application, I can't recover them since they don't show up in the Recycle Bin. Plus the files are deleted after my computer reboots.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@ omega5475

I just sent an e-mail to Brian. Let,s see if he will reply or not.

BTW I have no such problems with GW. Not sure what,s the reason on ur system.

I will be really unhappy if GW is dead. It,s such a nice software. In that case, I prefer that they sell it to someone rather than just disapearing from the scene. Seems i will have to move on to DW or SBIE.

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Indeed :'( GW is so powerful, light and stable that I will really miss it if it dissapears.

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Lucas1958, Aigle

I first used GeSWall when it was totally free then I got the Pro version of Brian because I attended him on some bugs. Later on I bought a DefenseWall lisence (and Ilya gave me a four year lisence for tips). I always felt Brain and Ilya were close in repsonse and developing strong programs.

Since a few months it became awfully quiet with GW, while the concept of a policy sandbox is great. I cannot think of a stronger HIPS with so little user configuration as a policy sandbox. When GW goes down I hope that Ilya with his lean and mean one man band operation survives. They both deserve it to earn a decent living for their great programs.

Regards Kees

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I started using it about one and a half year back when very few people here were using it. It was the time when zopzop tried it against KillDisk and GW stopped it dead( other sandboxes at that time failed against KilDisk if I remember corectly). I was not expecting GW to be so useful and stable as very few people were using it at that time. There was no pro version and no forums by them at that time. I tried GW with so many security software combinations and did not got any major issues except with few. It happily stayed with most of my combinations. Later I got the free licence for pro verson. I have not tested any software so extensively as GW and Brian accepted many of my suggestions over this time period, some of which are yet to be implemented though. It,s super secure but still light and causes no slow downs. Now if I loose it, it will be really a sad end, atleast for me.

Anyway I know software die now n then. It,s part of game. I will have to move forward in that case. Wait n see until then.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  10. omega5475

A product won't sell if the developer don't know how to market it. With poor support like this, customers would think they are being ignored. I didn't buy Pro since I helped out with v2.6's beta testing, so Brian gave me a Pro license that expires in year 2099 : )

I trust GeSWall so much that I've uninstalled my software firewall and only rely on GeSWall and my router's NAT SPI firewall. I'll continue using GeSWall until the time I find it no longer capable of protecting my system.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What,s the relation of GW with Firewall? It,s a totally different category.

12. omega5475

Yea, I know. I don't think there's a need for a software firewall since I've already have a router. All I need is antivirus and sandbox since my router doesn't have filter outbound connections.

A simple but powerful HIPS like GeSWall does the job well by isolating applications and files, so my PC hardly has problems like virus or spyware infections.

13. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Agree, even if I right now have some problems with DW and temporarily uninstalled it waiting for the next build, I never hesitated to buy I license for supporting the work since sandbox HIPS is a very effective way of dealing with most malware problems.

/C.

14. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

man, i hope they don't go out of business. geswall is an excellent program that's light on resource use. if worse comes to worse, i hope comodo or someone buys the geswall source code and does something with it. it's too good a program to let die.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Oh.. nice idea. I think I should suggest this to Comodo people. lol

16. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

i mean it would rock. can you imagine comodo's firewall with geswall in one neat low resource using package? :eek: :thumb:

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes, it might be really nice!

I wonder if it,s dying why no one tried to buy it.

18. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

good question aigle (hopefully it's not dying and they are just taking their time on the new release). if you think about it, comodo purchased boclean for an unknown sum of money (at least i don't know how much they purchased it for) and they can easily do the same to geswall. i don't think geswall is as big as boclean was in terms of userbase so i don't think comodo would have to break the bank in purchasing it.

in an odd sort of way this would be a big plus for comodo. many users find v3 of their firewall confusing (me included). by purchasing geswall comodo could offer 2 versions of their firewall one with HIPS (for advanced users) and one with geswall (for novices like me). it would be win-win for comodo. since geswall requires very little in ways of updates (except to fix serious flaws).

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Hello zopzop, :)
    Comodo needs a better GUI i think, maybe that's why you didn't notice it already offers a GeSWall' like functionality :D . It's a D+ predefined security policy ('isolated application' i think).

Anyway, on topic, i think this is one more of those "is X dead?" occasional events. I bet he's just busy working.

20. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

oh i've tried that function and it does not work right at all. some programs like limewire fail to load while others like windows media player can't even read my mp3 files (WMP gives me some error message). i don't know what the point of the isolated application option is, it's never worked for me. i don't put any stock in it, i just use geswall to run the program isolated.

i'm hoping against hope that this is so.

21. omega5475

I tried Comodo's products (BOClean, CPF) but wasn't too happy about them. First CPFv2 crawled my system to a halt and BOClean just completely prevented me from entering Windows (keeps killing svchost which results a BSOD). Maybe that was still in the early testing stage, but I don't have much good impression on Comodo since then.

I would prefer Microsoft to be the one acquire GeSWall. Since it's already using Microsoft Management Console as a core, it shouldn't be hard for Microsoft to add GeSWall's HIPS as addon in the latest service pack. But let's just wait for a while before deciding Gentle Security is dead.

22. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I didn't think of that. Of course, GeSWall has predefined policies for individual programs. Perhaps in time Comodo can build those, or folks contribute with their app specific rules/policies.
    This doesn't substitute GeSWall of course, GeSWall has value on its own, as a sandbox and nothing else, for those who want just that, a powerful and easy to use sandbox, and stable (DW also).

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have seen it long ago even when it was not working at all but the thing is that GW is install and forget. No config needed n very few popups. Also GW has registry virtualization that gives additional usability without breech of security. I think there is no virtualization in CFP.

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I don't think so either.
    You forgot, another GeSWall plus: you shouldn't need to configure anything, but if you want, you can (protect folders, edit rules).
    Very cool application.

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That's why I love GW so much and I'm not passionate about software.
    Let's hope that Brian is busy with 2.7. 2.6 works very well and hasn't been breached.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.