SpyGuard ~DFxxxx.tmp files in My TEMP Folder :-(

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by nycIRONheaded, Jan 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nycIRONheaded

nycIRONheaded Registered Member

SpyGuard ~DFxxxx.tmp files in My TEMP Folder :-(

They drove me nuts. Why assign them there?

Is there any way to have them go to to their own folder that was already in my program files folder?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

3. nycIRONheaded

nycIRONheaded Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

No biggie, just made me look around some.

Take it ease

[move]i m c o o k o o f o r c o c o a p u f f s i m c o o k o o f o r c o c o a p u f f s i m c o o k o o f o r c o c o a p u f f s i m c o o k o o f o r c o c o a p u f f s i m c o o k o o f o r c o c o a p u f f s i m c o o k o o f o r c o c o a p u f f s[/move]

nyc

4. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi

I have two questions to ask.

I got some of this ~DFxxx.tmp files too.

Q1) Can I delete them or just leave them alone?

Q2) Oh yes ... can I actually delete everything in my Temp folder?

(c:\documents and settings\%username%\localsettings\temp)

I seem to have files from 2 or 3 years ago and may I know what are they for?

Thanks

Chew

5. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You can generally delete any files from Temp folder if they are not currently in use. What I do is I periodically (monthly or so) reboot and login under a different user profile on my XP Home system, and clean out all the old stuff that has piled up: index.dat files for IE; the icon cache; all files in Temp. I do this the same time I do other periodic cleaning, like scandisks and defrags.

If any of those DF tmp files can not be deleted, then that just means those are the current ones that SpywareGuard is using at the moment. But you can certainly delete all the old ones.

6. chew

chew Registered Member

LWMark

Thanks for the explanation.

So I can delete files ending with .tmp in my Temp Folder. So I will just start by deleting the .tmp files in my Temp Folder first (Not Internet Temp Folder) ...

But I have so many files that also end differently other than in .tmp.

For example. (under the heading Type)

1) WMF image file. (plenty of 1kb, 641kb etc)
    2) Microsoft word document (16kb, 47kb, 13kb etc.,)
    3) HTML document (1kb, 9kb etc.,)
    4) XML document ( 2kb
    5) DMP File (1302kb, etc.,0
    6) Bitmap image (1407kb etc.,)
    7) Text Document (1kb - 297kb etc.,)
    8 ) Window media file (12kb - 288kb)
    10) Application files (8kb- 979kb etc., )

These are some that are there and plenty of folders there too ... I have never saved anything in that Temp folders at all ...

So do you think it's save to delete the above too?

For example I have Spyseeper stSetup application in there too but I had never saved it in there but my new folder for Download Files.

I am still trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

Chew

7. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hello Chew, welcome to forums.

Why don't you download a cleaner and let it do it for you.

I use a cleaner called Crap Cleaner [CCleaner] LOL

Bigc [forum moderator] pointed it out in another thread which I can't find at the moment. So I tried it. Absolutely brilliant. I *thought* I had a clean system, I ran it and it found almost 30Mb of CRAP first run, and that was just with the options you see checked. In First tab [I did not want cache / cookies cleaned].

Crap Cleaner

It's FREE.

Now, by default, it has a LOT of items checked off, make sure you read each option, as once you press RUN, it will clean, no option to go back, done, finished first time around.

...and it's FAST.

Look under the first two TABS it gives a lot of options in there.

This is what I would do... get it, install, UNcheck all options and just leave the TEMP one, Run and see how it works.

Now, the third tab on top left relates to your Registry, that one when you have that Tab open and run, will give you option to then CHECK items found to delete. I have not done that so far, personally, as I run RegSupreme for Registry.

I will post another screenie below this post to see what the options are in the Frist two tabs.

Make sure you also Look under the OPTIONS Tab top right, you can set lots of things in there, etc.

UNcheck anything to do with auto run on start up, or anything else you do not want. It can save cookies also.

TOOLS TAB you can uninstall programs, etc. Easily one of the best cleaners I have ever run. Thanks BIGC :D :D

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

• 073.GIF
      073.GIF
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

here is other

LOL... I just realised screenshots on site... but my screenie bit different.

SITE SCREENIES HERE

TAS

PS: Note the option to clean temp of files only older than 10 days, safety feature in case some are needed, ok... By default I *think* XP keeps them for like 2 days anyway.

PPS: There IS a backup option when cleaning in Registry also. Just tried it, worked fine.

Attached Files:

• 075.GIF
      075.GIF
      File size:
      26.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2004
  9. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi Taz

Thanks for the info on Crap Cleaner ... LOL! Indeed there are plenty of those junks in my Temp Folder nowadays.

I will give the Crap Cleaner a good read before I install it.

Was told by a friend not to delete anything I didn't understand from Temp or any folders at all ... if I did I would be playing "Russian Roulette" with my system and files ... LOL! Nearly gave me a heart attack there.

Cheers

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.