Kaspersky's Object Identifiers

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by De Hollander, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

If i understand it correctly kaspersky is gone use a different method regarding the object identifiers issue. What happens with those object identifiers when you upgrade to V8?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, unless KL provides a tool to delete them, or a user invokes the native MS fsutil utility to delete them, .... nothing.

Blue

3. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

As a Kaspersky user myself, I ain't even bothered about the objectIDs.

4. De Hollander

So why are they changing the methode?
    Is this because of reports about chkdsk.

o_O

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, it is due to the chkdsk problems and the fact that Microsoft did not approve of Kaspersky's method of using object identifiers.........:)

6. De Hollander

Is there a "official" response from KL.

7. Firecat

Yes, something that is not very frequently mentioned.....

http://www.kaspersky.com/support/kav7/error?qid=208279501

Of interest is this quote:

IMO Kaspersky has not handled this issue in a proper way at all......The issue is very much there, even if not for all users, and the fact that one will have to wait for version 8 to get this "problem" finally fixed is not going to make customers happy.

Whether or not this is a significant issue; Kaspersky has not handled it properly.

8. De Hollander

So did they shoot themselves in the foot with this technique o_O

If having no problems, you just end up with 200mb max of extra data on your HD, (digital form of tattoo), or to resolve it, you can use MS fsutil utility (plastic surgery)

9. BlueZannetti

Basically yes. They violated one of those implicit rules of good behavior - even if you remove KAV/KIS from your machine, a fairly large and obvious footprint of the installation remains. A fair number of users freak out about a handful of residual registry entries, this is a lot more extensive that that. However, like inactive registry entries, they are innocuous once properly created and as long as chkdsk can complete an execution.
    Yes.

Blue

10. Firecat

Yeah, even after removing KAV the chkdsk issue does not get solved........For those having the problem the only solution is a complete reformat or to live with the chkdsk scan delay.

Removing NTFS object IDs is not as simple as removing Alternate Data Streams (which was another trick Kaspersky tried in version 5.0, called iStreams - adding ADS tags to files); so I doubt there will ever be a fix for the affected users.

11. BlueZannetti

Just be clear on specifically what the issue really is. Chkdsk takes a bit of time to process stage 2: not a problem. Chkdsk will not complete: this is potentially a problem. File system is inconsistent and cannot be fixed due to chkdsk's inabiliity to complete leading to cascading filesystem corruption: this is the problem
    Correct, if by "problem" you mean an inconsistent and corrupted file system. A simple delay is, once again, not the problem and should not be used as a guideline to recommend users execute a system reformat.
    For home users, it is as simple. For business users on a networked domain with application servers, probably not simple.

Blue

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That isn't really a fair statement. I for one had no issue with the OI's and prefer that being added as opposed to the junk some US software adds to my system.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2007
  13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would say it borders on violating this.

14. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I believe this is rather a strange statement. This has nothing to do what country it is from

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2007
  15. De Hollander

I agree :thumb: Nothing at all to do with country-of-origin

Is there any info about what kind of technique is going to be use in the new version v8

16. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

One gratuitous and potentially inflammatory post removed.

Regards

Menorcaman

17. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

that sucks, this answers why it hung up the other day almost to the point where I thought the machine froze & it's a new machine, I'm running another solution at the moment but this doesn't make me feel very good about the potenial problems could be there on a machine that is barely 45 days old...maybe I should reformat but the programs on there was tough to get going in vista, not sure if a reformat would cause more headaches...

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Because programs are created to intergrate and "fit" into an Operating System, that allows them to tinker around with what is installed there. For PCs, that only impacts the user of that PC only. On mainframes, only systems programmers can tinker with the Operating System. If the application programmer tries to do that, they get reprimanded and told to cease and desist or else.:gack:

19. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it seems some av's will do anything to lower their scan speed, it must be a really big seller :)

20. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Speed and execution time is a critical factor whether a program is used or not. ANY program that takes a long time to run won't stay on any user's PC for long. I tried the ZA online AS scanner and it was finished scanning my system in less than 15 seconds??!! I said WHAT? That was FAST! :D Almost too fast. :doubt:

21. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I look at it this way: if the objectIDs impede my day to day use of the computer, posting here, sending emails etc., then I'll worry. As it is, I'm not aware of any problems.

There are bigger issues in the world to worry about.

22. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You bet. And if I put any AV back on my system it would be KAV. Had it on for two years, and no problems with OID's. What I did like was I could do a full scan in 5 minutes as opposed to 1 hour.

Pete

23. De Hollander

Anybody or every company can and will make mistakes.

If you want to remove the OID, because you don’t want to have a chkdsk slow down.
    What are the current solutions?
    Format, Clean image, Fsutil, or does KL offer you a tool?

If I wood be using a KL product, and KL wood stated, “Costumer, Sorry, we where wrong, and will work on a permanent solution for you” I wood be happy with that, Now, they stop using this method and start with something else in version 8. So as a hypothetical costumer, I wood dump this program.

But as you stated :thumb: "There are bigger issues in the world to worry about"

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

basically they have made a technology with a big flaw, and instead of fixing it in the current version, they say "Wait for next version"

refund.....

25. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

I can't think of any piece of software that doesn't have one problem or another,can all you "experts" actually with hand on heart say that this is a major issue that affects more than a handful of users?Its Kaspersky and there are some guys on this forum who like to make a mountain out of a mole-hill when any problem re-kaspersky is brought up
    I have a friend who because of his hardware"combination" cannot install either service pack 1 or service pack 2 for XP(bsod everytime no matter what is tried!),does this make these updates to XP "bad programs"?or is just a problem that affects very few users so on the whole the updates are worthwhile installing for the vast majority?Its the same with Kav/Kis most users would not even be aware of this problem if a few "bashers" didn't keep banging on about it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.