Licence Downgrade

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by crummock, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crummock

crummock Registered Member

Hi,

apologies if this is answered elsewhere but I can't see it....

If you purchase a licence for ESS can you choose to download and use EAV instead ?

I know that might sound a strange thing to do but if you've bought a 3 or 4 user licence for ESS but only want EAV on one of your PC's it does make sense.

I would expect you can as you are using a cheaper product than you have paid for.

thanks

2. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

actually I bought 2 license & I'm curious to the response, I would think they would be interchagable...

3. PatG

PatG Registered Member

Why not call the company you purchased it from for a correct response?

4. crummock

Certainly could do that but as this is supposed to be the Eset support forum and I thought that it may be of interest to other users then it was appropriate to ask here in the hope of an official ESET (or reseller) response ?

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The current policy is that the product you are entitled for is the same as the one you purchased. It remains, however, a subject for discussion between our management, marketing and distributors.

6. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Marcos, a bit of feedback for management, marketing and distributors:

My license renewal for three machines comes up in late December.

Without an option to "downgrade"/fallback from ESS to NOD32 3/2, I will certainly simply renew EAV for the next year and then see how stable ESS turns out to be next year.

Without the fallback option, investing in and being stuck with ESS at this point appears too risky. With the reassurance that would come with the option to fallback to NOD32 3/2, upgrading the license to ESS would be a no-brainer.

Cheers,

SemiP

7. crummock

I would expect that the outcome will be that ESS licences will allow you to download and use both ESS and EAV. Obviously EAV licences would be restricted to EAV only.

Anything else would be daft.

8. Jdeane

Jdeane Eset Staff

currently your ESS licence show also allow download of EAV

9. SemiP

SemiP Registered Member

Currently, I am taking Marcos at his word, word for word (post #5). I'm not sure that the ability to download EAV with an ESS license is proof that one can run and update ESS with and EAV license. Would like to know that for a fact, beyond speculation and what would seem reasonable.

SemiP

10. crummock

and quite right. You should not be able to update ESS with an EAV licence. That is giving the benefit of the dearer product without paying for it. Updating EAV with an ESS should be acceptable as you have effectively paid more for the privilege.

11. Parijat

Parijat Registered Member

I had bought 2 licenses a few months ago for nod32, I upgraded only one of them to ESS and other to EAV since I want ESS on only my computer and other one is fine with Nod32 AV.

12. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

My 2 cents:
    If you bought a ESS license and you want to us EAV, change the license and give a refund for the remaning period of the the ESS license. :thumb:

13. saffron

saffron Registered Member

With all the bugs flying around ATM, upgrading at all is a no brainer.

Stick with V2.7 and you'll be OK.

Upgrade at your peril.

14. saffron

I cant believe I just said that. I used to be a NOD32 fanboi. I must be suffering from PESSDS --- Post ESET Smart Security Depression Syndrome. :(

15. JamesO

JamesO Registered Member

That's actually a really good question, because it isn't just about license downgrades.

Those of us who have a license for more than one machine may wish to upgrade to ESS.

In my case I would upgrade to ESS on one machine, test it and get familiar with it before rolling it out to other machines.

If the answer to the OP is that, once you've upgraded to ESS, you can only run ESS (not EAV), then I'm stuck. The machine I upgrade first will be fine but the other machines (still running 2.7 or EAV3.0) won't update their signature database at all. I'd basically be forced to upgrade every machine within 24 hours, or not do it. Not keen.

Have I misunderstood Marcos totally?

16. saffron

If you have a multiple computer LAN Update licence for NOD32 you can't even get v3 to run properly over your network, never mind about ESS. No mirror. Updates have to be downloaded to each individual computer. There's no downward compatibility with your V2.7 licence at all. How f#cked is that for an "upgrade"? ESET has lost the plot. :(

17. JamesO

JamesO Registered Member

True. I hadn't realised it was that bad!

But I only have 3 PCs, so haven't bothered with mirroring. Each PC downloads its updates separately. But that still leaves the question of whether PCs running 2.7 / EAV3.0 will succeed in doing so, if I upgrade the license to an ESS one.

18. patch

patch Registered Member

Any update on how the discussions are going?

19. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

The holders of an ESS license can also download EAV.

20. crummock

Thanks Marcos and thanks to Eset management for a sensible decision.

21. JamesO

JamesO Registered Member

Does that also mean that if I currently hold a multi-user license for NOD32 2.7, I can use that license for EAV3.0 on some machines and keep 2.7 on others? (Or does my license turn into an EAV3.0 one the first time I download and install EAV3.0?)

Does that also mean that if I currently hold a multi-user license for NOD32 2.7, and I upgrade to ESS3.0, that any machines with 2.7 still installed on will still be able to keep their sigs up to date?

22. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

Thank you eset that is very good news indeed

23. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

you can use a mixture - that would HAVE to be the case for mixed win2000 and xp installations.

24. JamesO

JamesO Registered Member

Thanks wyb - that makes sense. Good stuff!

25. catprincess

catprincess Guest

Marcos,

Not according to what's written on this website

http://www.nod32.com.au/purchase/purchase.html

This is quoted from the above page:
    "NOTE: There is currently no online purchase option for Eset Smart Security.
    With purchase or renewal you will receive a license which will enable you to
    use either ESET Smart Security or ESET Antivirus. (NOT both!)"

Can you please explain further Marcos?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.