MozBackup when TB profile in other partition

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by tepe2, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Like some other users I have moved my Thunderbird and Firefox profiles to another partition. TB and FF in OS-partition C, and profiles in partition D.

I like MozBackup http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/ and it still works fine with FF. But no longer with TB.

Anyone else experienced this? Know how to fix?

I know I can backup TB profile using other backup tool, but would like to know how to do it with MozBackup.

Thanks

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I think that most users ditched MozBackup, once they moved the profiles folder of FF/TB to their "Data Partition".
    You need TWO backup softwares now : one for FF/TB and one for all the rest.
    I need only ONE backup software to backup all my data in one hit.
    I don't backup everything, just the files that have been changed, it can't be more efficient than that.
    What is so special about MozBackup, that you want to keep it ?

The only way to solve this properly is asking Mozilla to change the program and make it also work when the profiles folder of TB is moved to another partition. Mozilla probably forgot it or it has a bug in the TB-part, since the FF-part is working properly. :)

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Afaik MozBackup only works if the profile is in the default location.

One person already asked about supporting profiles in different locations, but no response has been posted yet.

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks for your replies.

I think I will stop using MozBackup at least for TB.

I just visited MozBackup forum (did not know there was a forum) and other have asked for this to be fixed. I dont know if it will be. So I find another solution.

I also look for an easy solution to backup/sync between Firefox and Firefox Portable, and between ThunderBird and ThunderBird Portable. I am new to FF Portable and TB Portable and have just started learning. I have copied the profiles from FF/TB to the portable versions. Would like the opportunity to sync bookmarks and mails.

5. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Long time ago since I tried to use MozBackup with TB. I cannot remember what went wrong last time I tried. But I think it backed up settings, passwords etc but stopped with an error message when trying to backup mails.

So last night I tried one more time to see where it would fail.

Big surprise: Everything seem to work just fine now:

Mozbackup.png

No error message. I did not download a new version of MozBackup, I used the same version. My guess is maker of MozBackup did not fix it, but has been fixed in TB?

I have not tried a restore yet, so I dont know if a restore would work, so dont "try this at home" if you dont have other backups.

I want to try a restore, but I dont have a file backup software at the moment. Could I just copy the profile folder to an external drive in case something goes wrong? And if something goes wrong I copy the folder back to where it belong? Sorry for stupid question but I want to be sure since we are talking about mail I dont want to loose.

6. WSFuser

Yes you can do that.

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks WSFuser

I did. And it work. I deleted some unimportant mails and empty trash can, then I copied the folder to an ext to be safe. Restored. The mails I deleted is back. So it works :thumb: :)

Edit: Only thing is I had to enter password for all of my 3 accounts after restore. Before restore I had one main password.

8. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

In windows I used Mozbackup to, but now in Zenwalk Linux I simply create a tar.gz archive from my .mozilla and .thunderbird folders. If I need to restore them, on a new install for example, I simply extract the archives to my home directory. Wouldn't this work in windows to?

What I mean is, wouldn't it be just as easy to make and restore the backups manually?

9. WSFuser

Of course it would, though MozBackup also lets you make selective backups. For example backing up passwords and cookies but not extensions.

10. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

That's true. But since MozBackup is windows only I have to do things the "hard" way. Items like passwords and cookies are easily restored manually as well by copying only key3.db and signons2.txt for passwords, and cookies.txt to the profile folder from the complete archive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.