Two Disappointments--Command Line and Secure Mail Connections

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by profhsg, Nov 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. profhsg

profhsg Registered Member

I have two disappointments with the v. 3.0 on NOD 32 AV (not using the ESS). First, I cannot use the command line scanner in my download manager. I saw a thread on this during the beta trials, and tried the suggested solution of adding the base dir parameter to the command line, but that didn't seem to help. BTW I can't wait for Blackspear to come out with his max settings, including command line settings, for v. 3.0. Second, the mail tags aren't working, which to me indicates that v. 3.0 has the same problem as all prior versions--email scanner does not work on secure email connections using ports 995 or 465. I had read that v. 3.0 was going to solve that problem and am disappointed it hasn't. I'm hoping someone will tell me I'm wrong about these problems and how to set v. 3.0 to fix them.

Thanks in advance.

2. GAN

GAN Registered Member

I used the command line scanner with my download manager without any problems so it should work. The command line scanner isn't very good though and contain som bugs, but i guess that will be fixed soon. I think the command line scanner in 2.7 with a GUI is much better for this purpose.

So in case you cannot make it work you could tell us what download manager you use and what paramters you use. Maybe someone can help.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

As for the tagging issue, what email client and OS do you use?

4. a_lunatic

a_lunatic Registered Member

I use Free Download Manager & can't work it out too so it would be nice to have a working command line

5. GAN

GAN Registered Member

You could start by testing a command line that works when running from a dos windows or start->run in windows. Then when you know the command line is correct and working try to use that one in the download manager.

I use internet download manager and used the following value in the field for the executable:
    "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe"

This is the value i added to the parameter field:
    [File] /base-dir="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus" /log-all /aind /no-boots /adware /sfx /unsafe /unwanted /heur /adv-heur /action=clean

The [File] parameter is a parameter used in internet download manager and not a nod32 parameter so this might not be relevant using another download manager. I also wanted to use the parameter action=prompt, but it doesn't seems to work. Also the logging doesn't log to the same log as you can see in the GUI so the log-all paramater is useless at the moment unless you specify a logfile it seems.

6. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I am using Outlook 2007 and I have manually configured under POP3 the 995 and 465 ports just in case and ALL my mail is scanned by ESS so maybe you could do the same?

7. profhsg

Thanks for the responses. My OS is Windows XP SP2 Home and my email client is Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0. My download manager is Get Right Pro. GAN, I notice you used the command line switch separator "/" instead of "--" which is what the help file on 3.0 calls for. I successfully used the "/" separator in NOD 2.7. Does it still work in 3.0?

Thanks again.

8. GAN

GAN Registered Member

Yes with nod32 3.0 you could either use -- or / for the parameters (at least using version 3.0.551). If you want to use the command line scanner with nod32 3.0 and getright you could add the following into the field for the scanner:

"C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /base-dir="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus" /log-all /aind /no-boots /adware /sfx /unsafe /unwanted /heur /adv-heur /action=clean

It should be on one line just as typed above and if you use ESS the path is different by default, but the rest should be the same. If you prefer some other parameters that is up to you. You could run ecls.exe /help to see what parameters you can use, but not all seems to work like /action=prompt which is assume is a bug. I think the nod32 2.7 command line scanner is way better for this purpose though so hopefully they will add a windows GUI command line scanner to version 3.0 as well in the near future.

9. profhsg

Thanks to Gan. My command line scanner in my download manager now works. I'm still having the problem getting the tag line appended to incoming email. I still suspect that v. 3.0 has not solved the old problem of NOD32 not being able to scan email coming via an SSL connection on port 995.

10. wiak

wiak Registered Member

just a stupid comment
    "shouldnt secure connection be secure?, when NOD32 cant scan it, thats secure, if you can scan the secure connection its not secure"
    :rolleyes:

11. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

AFIK, Kaspersky is the only anti-virus which will by itself scan SSL mail.
    All others have to use Stunnel - a bugger to set up in my experience!

12. rogervernon

Yes, but, no but, --- a secure connection does not ensure that the content is clean from malware, does it?

13. wiak

wiak Registered Member

most mail are scanned on the mail server, atleast gmail and hotmail does it

14. rogervernon

AFAIK, Gmail only scans for and rejects any content with an .exe file format.
    I know it won't let me send attachments with .exe extensions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.