Life on Mars?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Uguel707, Jan 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I wonder if they will ever find real evidence that Life existed on Mars.

This is an interesting PDF document about the NASA's 2003 strategic plan. Nice pictures in it too! Not particularly on Mars mission only but rather a general overview of space projects.

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/1968main_strategi.pdf

Cheers! :)

Uguel

Attached Files:

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Very good stuff Uguel :)

I've always been fascinated by space exploration! And, more and more, NASA is putting up better resources on the results of the exploration.

Here is NASA's main site on the Mars Mission and what they have found thus far

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/home/index.html

As to alien Life on Mars, I hope we get some sort of answer soon, but we have ample proof of the existence of alien life on Earth ;)

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

As many million years that it has been there and being closer to the sun than most of the other planets there is a possibility.

Attached Files:

• quoi.gif
      quoi.gif
      File size:
      392 bytes
      Views:
  4. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hey Dan,

a'hem...

Actually I made the little gif from " Step-by-Step Guide to Entry, Descent, and Landing" page from the site you posted. :)

from bigc

Right. They might find evidence one day.......That's one of the most fascinating issues in Science. (Well, to me ;))

Uguel

5. bigc73542

Maybe in our lifetime we will be able to take our vacation at the Mars Hilton. ;)

6. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Quite right! :D

Uguel

7. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    We prefer staying at the Sheraton.

Attached Files:

8. bigc73542

And I bet you prefer your martinis shaken not stirred :D

Attached Files:

9. subratam

subratam Registered Member

rewrwe feferf fewfewffg ferf3eg3g fewf fef3f3 f3f...
    ok ok ya i will tell them dun worry
    egrgr vegergerg rhgrthgrthr rgregreg
    never mind
    wef3ef3
    cya
    hey i was just talkin with marson .. the oldest person in Mars... he says there we have a head office of wilders..... and i doubt anybody knoz that here... :mad: shud have been told... by someone... i bet someone here also knoz bout it
    or it was kept secret for some cause??

10. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

To heck with going to Mars I would like to just go up in the Shuttle One time.

But if a trip to the Mars Holiday Inn came up I would go. :D :D

11. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

When i think about the deep-ocean hydrothermal vents that leak poisonous gas and the creatures that live around it, plus the thousands (millions?) of species that call the desert home, Mars all of a sudden seems strangely hospitable ... :)

12. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Space exploration has always interested me, especially with the visions that television and the movies have dared to imagine. Wondering if something as grand as Startrek may come to pass in our lifetime. There is always the possibility that it could happen within the next 50-100 years. Who knows. Some incredable leap in technology may make it possible in 10 years. In fact, some of the technology isn't all that far away. I remember seeing it on the net that Dutch scientists have actually created a transporter device using the theories of quantum mechanics. It doesn't work exactly the same as in ST, but it's a start. I think the biggest hurtle is going to be breaking the speed of light barrier if it is even possible. Einsteins theory says it can't be done, and we're not even close to going at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) and until we can acheive such speeds, all of our exploration will have to be limited to our own solar system, and the inner most planets at that. I'd like to go to the moon, Mars, and where ever else. But as for right now, I think we'll all have to wait a little longer, unless you've got $20 million to pay the Russians for a round trip ticket into orbit. A little too rich for my wallet. Too bad isn't it? To be so close and yet so far.

13. bigc73542

Just for general knowledge a tacyhon can excede the speed of light by as much as three times by passing through a controlled vacume. If a natural occuring object can excede the speed of light I am sure some scientist somewhere will do it eventually. :eek:

Attached Files:

14. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

I fully agree with your post BJ, :)

"Science may once again follow the path of science fiction"

Arthur C. Clark used it in one of his early stories.... ;)

Read yesterday, from the same link above:

Why Mars ?

Outside of the Earth-Moon system, Mars is the most hospitable body in the solar system for humans and is currently the only real candidate for future human exploration and colonization. Mars offers the opportunity for in-situ (In the original position)source utilization providing air for the astronauts to breathe and fuel for their surface rovers and return vehicle (this will be discussed in further detail later). Mercury is far too close to the Sun (radiation and temperature extremes) and has almost no atmosphere, Venus is far too hot (avg. 500oC) and the surface pressures are extreme, the gas giants (Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune) do not provide a surface on which to land (at least until the pressure is far too great!), and Pluto is far too cold and distant. ;) Some of the moons of Jupiter (eg. Europa) and Saturn (eg. Titan) are interesting targets in the search for life elsewhere in the solar system, but they are much farther away and far more inhospitable than Mars.

In August of 1992, a "Why Mars" workshop was held in Houston, Texas. Six major elements behind the motivation for human Mars exploration were introduced by a consultant team consisting of 16 professionals from across the country...

1) Human Evolution - Mars is the next logical step in the expansion of the human race into the stars.

2) Comparative Planetology - by understanding Mars and its evolution as a planet, a better understanding of Earth will be achieved.

3) International Cooperation - an international Mars exploration effort has the potential to bring about a sense of global unity as never seen before.

4) Technological Advancement - the development of new and improved technologies for the Mars mission will enhance the lives of those on Earth while encouraging high-tech industry.

5) Inspiration - the human Mars exploration mission will test our technological abilities to their maximum. The ingenuity of the mobilized populace will be tested and our accomplishments will serve to inspire future generations. A common focus will unite people from around the world as they expand the envelope of achievability.

6) Investment - the cost of a crewed Mars exploration mission is reasonable when compared with the costs of other current societal expenditures.

Of course, statement no: 6 is debatable :rolleyes:

The entire topic of Mars exploration is captivating though. :)

Uguel

source: http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planetary/mars/marswhy.html

15. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

very interesting...

It's quite paradoxical that "when they lose energy they gain speed" !

Apparently though they are still hypothetical?

extract from Guru Net:

tachyon , hypothetical elementary particle that travels only at speeds exceeding that of light. According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the limiting velocity for all ordinary material particles. Particles having nonzero rest mass can approach, but not reach, the speed of light, since their mass would become infinite at that speed. On the other hand, particles with zero rest mass, such as the photon and the neutrino, must always travel at the speed of light; they cannot be brought to rest or even slowed down. Theorists have argued that since nothing in principle prohibits the existence of a third class of particles that travel only at speeds exceeding that of light, such particles, called tachyons [Gr. tachys,=swift] may exist although no evidence for them has been found. In the terminology of the theory, the particles that travel only at the speed of light are called luxons, and those that travel at lesser speeds are called tardyons. Like the original theory of relativity, the theory of tachyons has several aspects that appear to contradict common sense but that are fully self-consistent. For example, a tachyon must have an imaginary (in the mathematical sense) rest mass, or proper mass, and it must travel faster rather than slow down when it loses energy.

Maybe they travel too fast ! :D

Uguel

16. bigc73542

Lets say for instance we could excede the speed of light in my toyota x31 space ship and we were going to andromeda. Now if we get to far from a star or a sun to use as a light source and we are going at twice the speed of light If we turn on the headlights does any light come out of them since we are going twice as fast as the light from the head lights o_O o_O o_O

17. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Well, you made me think of a gif I made 2 weeks ago...

Consider this an experiment to find the solution to your question ;)

Uguel

Attached Files:

18. bigc73542

At the big particle accelerator in Georgia they tracked three tacyhons in a controlled vacume in october 2003. I wonder what it cost to fire up the accelerator seeing as how it is the size of eight city blocks

19. bigc73542

Light will still come out but in a red shift. ;) by the way,that is a nice gif.

Attached Files:

20. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

nice gif! :)

Oh! So they did prove it then. The data from Gurunet was from an Encyclopedia published earlier in 2003. Thanks for the info! ;)

Uguel

21. GoonMan

GoonMan Registered Member

This is getting very interesting. :D

22. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

Well, if normal matter (for lack of a better term)(the matter that surronds us) can only travel at speeds up to light speed, and tachyons can travel at speeds beyond light speed, (basically the complete opposite)(+ - so to speak) could we be safe in giving them the following terms---
    Matter and Anti-matter.

Even if a balance could be achieved to produce such speeds (in some kind of engine)one problem would remain-Time Displacement. The closer any moving object comes to the speed of light-the more time slows down for the moving object and any passengers. Time passage for stationary objects remains the same to the stationary people. It's commonly called the Doppler Effect. That's why the sound of a horn sounds different when it passes you than it did before it passed you. It would be the sound equivalent of a red shift.
    It was proven after our manned flights to the moon that the astronauts aged 300 milliseconds slower than everyone here on earth. So, if someone were to go at the speed of light, time would obviously slow down dramatically for them. Theoretically, on a 5 year trip, they might actually only age 2 years, but everyone here on earth might age for 100 years.
    On the opposite end, if light speed were exceeded, would time be reversed for the traveler, where by he would be younger when he got to his destination than he was when he left? Maybe if the trip were long enough, would he just keep getting younger and younger until time reversed to before his birth?

23. bigc73542

It wouldn't be a fountain of youth but you could out live your enemies if you had any. Or your creditors. :D As long as you didn't get to young to remember which was the return home button.

24. bigc73542

You know that Mars is just 34.65 million miles away. Even at the speed of light(186.000 miles a second) it would still take 21 minutes to get to mars if you started at the speed of light. Can you imagine the fuel bill for just that short a trip.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/mars_progress_030808.html

Attached Files:

25. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

Hi BJ!

The idea of interstellar travel brings lots of fascinating possibilities into play. :) And theories abound. Those of you who read Science Fiction books may have heard of Bussard Ramjets which are theoretical interstellar engines that can move at significant fractions of the speed of light. If you google for it you will find many links but here is one with a decent description and diagram...

http://woodmansee.com/science/rocket/r-interstellar/r-interstellar-18.html

On a lighter note... ;)

Am I seeing things or is there a smiley in this martian landscape? :D

http://www.space.com/php/multimedia/imagedisplay/img_display.php?pic=happy_face_021203_02.jpg

Uguel :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.