Firewall get's disabled, 5-8 times now...

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by SweX, Sep 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi,

Well im very tierd of that the Firewall get's disabled, and that have happened 5-8 times now and i don't know why, it just happens.
    And today when i started the computer i've got an error right before the desktop was going to show up, " ERROR > Explorer EXE " don't know if that had to do whit ESS, but after 2 restarts it was fine again and the desktop did start as it should do. Then the firewall started to disable it self, then i restarted 1 time, then at start up same problem again whit the firewall disable it self, then i restart again and now it's fine. Altough ESS said,
    " firewall maybe need a restart" then i quit the ekern and gui from taskmanager. And restarted ESS again and now it's ok at the moment.

So why all this, and is anybody having the same problems whit the firewall that it disable it self, and what can we do about it, though i don't think that the " Explorer EXE ERROR" has anything to do whit ESS.

Regards SweX.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  2. ldupuy

ldupuy Registered Member

Yes, I have been getting the same disabling nuisance. Tonight, I reinstalled the d/l file from the web site, thinking I may have an out-dated installation. Turns out, it was the same file; so I chose the "repair" option. After a restart, everything is, once again, as it should be. We'll see if it starts up enabled in the future. I'm hoping that this may have rectified the situation.

Lyla

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi Lyla,

Right then i don't try that you did if it was the same file, let's see if ESET fixing this to future release's, i hope so anyway because it is really disturbing and worrying if it happends a lot.

Thanks SweX.

4. ldupuy

ldupuy Registered Member

Good Morning! :)

I am happy to report that after repairing the installation, this morning the fw started up without a hitch! :thumb: Hopefully, if you also did the same, that it worked for you, too!

Have a great day! :cool:

Lyla

5. ldupuy

ldupuy Registered Member

I've had it with ESS; the firewall isn't working again! :mad: Going back to KIS 7.0; no problems there! I realize ESS is still in beta and maybe I'll give the final release a try; but for now, I don't have the time to mess with it every day! Hope it works better for everyone else!

Lyla

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Will ESET ever fix this problem whit the firewall gets disabledo_O

YES will Eset ever fix this problem whit the firewallo_O

What i mean is, everytime Windows starts the firewall get's disabled and the Windows security center says that the Firewall is OFF, so i need to quit the ekrn.exe and egui.exe in taskmanager and start up ESS again.
    The problem starts to drive me nuts, so will their be a fix in future releases? Or do i need to find a new antivirus vendor. I don't want to change vendor but i maybe don't have a chooise.

Please fix this problem ESET. And is anybody else having this Firewall problem?

Regards

7. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

Re: Will ESET ever fix this problem whit the firewall gets disabledo_O

if there any problem with the actual release it surely get fixed. remember ESS still is a Release Candidate not Final.

have you tried download a fresh copy and re-install it?

8. PatG

PatG Registered Member

This is what mine says in Control Panel / Security Center:

Attached Files:

• fw.jpg
      fw.jpg
      File size:
      22.8 KB
      Views:
  9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe a problem of the Windows Security center? You should test the firewall to make sure that it's actually disabled or that it's just the WSC that reports a wrong status.

10. sjgore

sjgore Registered Member

Isn't this the problem that most people have experienced, when the Windows Security Centre randomly says that the firewall or antivirus is disabled, but when you look in the ESS GUI, everything is enabled and running fine?

I haven't heard anyone on this forum say (yet!) that the firewall is actually off when they look in the GUI when the above occurs. When WSC says the firewall is off, I still get pop-ups from the firewall.

Steve.

11. ugly

ugly Registered Member

I had the same problem and it is not a WSC problem. Yes , WSC reports a wrong status , but this only happen with ESS. Any other firewall I had installed (part of a suite) was working well with WSC.
    From what you are saying I understand you are not aware of this ESS problem.

12. Neoxellos

Neoxellos Registered Member

I sure hope that's not the case. There are many reports on this forum about this problem.
    The only difference I see is that most of us have random WSC messages and SweX, starter of this thread, seems to have them all the time.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi. Thanks for ALL the good answers and suggestions !!!!

I need to say right now 5 minutes ago when i started the computer i DIDEN'T see any message show up either from ESS or WSC at windows start up,
    pretty wierd i should say because i have allways get an message from ESS that the FW needs a restart, OR message from WSC that the FW is OFF but in ESS interface it's ON,

Need to say that this problem whit the FW did NOT happen in any other ESS beta ONLY the current " ESS RC1 "
    or any other security-suite either.

I agree whit Neoxellos im not the only one whit this problem it's many more here at the forum.

Again thanks for all good answers guys.

Regards SweX

14. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

It is a problem for me as well. I found that by turning off Windows Security Center in services in Windows XP Pro and restarting it, the problem goes away. If you do a reinstall you will need to do this again as this starts the cycle all over again. On my machine once the WSC is stopped and restarted, any subsequent boots will not produce the firewall message.

15. deimos

deimos Registered Member

I see it occasionaly, ESS RC1 on XP Pro SP2. Disabling ESS firewall and enabling it again fixes the problem.

16. edchu89

edchu89 Registered Member

ekrn cpu usage spikes when ESET says my firewall is down.

I am running on Windows XP SP2 and since my installation of this suite yesterday I have done 2 reinstalls and been forced to reboot about 10 times. Dell Inspiron 640M, 2GB Ram, 2GHZ Core 2 Duo. This product makes my laptop unusable.

The ekrn.exe process just spikes my cpu up to between 50-70% and when it starts it doesn't stop. I have been trying to track a common cause but I have had no luck. When this happens my laptop then heats up REALLY FAST.

I made sure scheduled scans are off so that should not be causing the spike.

In most cases when I check the status of my firewall during a spike it says the filtering mode is not defined and that I might need to restart my pc.

I was finally forced to uninstall ESET permanently until a new release is available. It ground my work to a halt for the past day.

I am sorry to see this does not appear to be a prevalent issue becuase I am really interested in this product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.