CyberHawk is now ThreatFire & has new beta for v3

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by InfinityAz, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Just noticed this on the PCTools web site. CyberHawk has been renamed to ThreatFire with a new web site and there is a new beta version available (i.e., beta of v3).

Description of free vs. pro versions from website:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2007
  2. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Good news :thumb:

BTW, what kind of antivirus engine does the Pro edition come with?

3. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I assume the same as used in PC Tools Antivirus...
    Anyway, certanly good news. Will try it for sure. I hope the team behind it will stay the same. At least tech support seems to be the same (kudos to Armando :) ).

4. dogma

dogma Registered Member

PCTools antivirus is powered by KAV isn't it? So it will be KAV if that's the case. Although I don't think it will be too long before they start to develop their own AV.

Anyways, the program sounds good and the free version offers a lot more than Cyberhawk Pro. However, I'll be patient until a issue free non-beta is released. That may take a while, going by the progression of Cyberhawk. Hope I am wrong.

btw Good going PCTools!

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I think that PC Tools AV is powered by VirusBuster

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Crapz, i thought it's final already and that there is a separate beta version.
    But from whati can see, ThreatFire is only a beta by default. Correct?
    I'll just wait a bit more...

7. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Yeah, looks like your right lucas1985. They dropped KAV for Virusbuster.

Well, as you know, Cyberhawk always had some issue with most releases. I guess a software such as this always needs tweaking.

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

TF-free, PCTools-f/w and AntiVir/Avast/AVG might be a good, free Suite (ugh) for those inclined (that don't want Comode.)

9. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: ThresatFire pro = ThreatFire free + On demand AV ? Do I read this right? I have not noticed any on-demand only AV is asking mooney. This is an eye-opener indeed. I would rather use ThrestFire free version and any other result-proven free AV. And use that saved $$$ to buy treats for Picchu-my lapdog. Another marketing blunder from PCTools ?

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I said what the hell anyway and installed it. And damn, they did a fine job on GUI. Sweet trey icon (guys at PC Tools know how to make nice trey icons thats for sure!). GUI is also nice. It still has the good old Cyberhawk feel but completelly PC Toolsified :D Will see how it runs over time. But very good first impression though! :thumb:

11. pctools

pctools Registered Member

Hi all; to answer some queries:

Yes, ThreatFire includes the AV engine from PC Tools AntiVirus, this is a unique engine to PC Tools and although some of it was licensed it is now our own engine. This is the same engine that recently received two VB100 awards in the latest review and has WestCoast Labs certification.

Yes, the excellent team from Cyberhawk/Novatix are still the team behind ThreatFire!

Free vs. Pro - the Free version basically gives you what used to be the full paid version of Cyberhawk, i.e. a lot of functionality. The Paid version gives you Free version + the AV engine being active for real-time blacklist (i.e. when some behavior is detected it is checked against the AV engine as well) and on-demand scanning (it's not just on-demand scanning). The free version on it's own is a very capable product and could be run in combination with another AV product if you choose (just be aware of some performance impact in doing so). And yes we know we're giving away a lot for free, it's not a "marketing blunder" ;)

Best,

Simon
    PC Tools

12. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Make sure you keep up us to date Rejzor.

13. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi Simon, could you answer Rejzor's question:
    Thanks

You can say that again!

14. pctools

pctools Registered Member

Correct, the beta was launched today. Cyberhawk 2 is still the official full non-beta release, but ThreatFire 3 is currently Beta 1.

It's a pretty solid beta in our testing, but normal safe-guards when testing beta software should be used. That being said I'm running it on all my PCs, including corporate ones, as are a lot of other people at PC Tools and it's looking good.

Expect probably a couple of beta builds to fix niggling issues before we go final.

Regards,

Simon
    PC Tools

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Will these updates be available via SmartUpdate or will we have to update it by manually downloading and installing new version (like for example most of Comodo betas and some others like Kaspersky beta programs)?

16. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

Hi RejZoR--

There's unfortunately not a straight answer for this during this initial beta period.

Depending on the situation, new updates may either be via Smart Update or may require a full uninstall then reinstall--it will basically depend on the specific update. The idea going forward though, is that ThreatFire will work on the same Smart Update platform as other PC Tools products.

Kind regards,

Becky Dubrow

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  17. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Oh nice and light... wouldnt need much more done to it MD:eek:

18. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Will those of us that hold a current license for CyberHawk Pro be able to migrate to ThreatFire Pro?

19. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

This is really cool news! How light is it? I was wondering if it is lighter than CH as I heard it could be a bit heavy.

Cheers, innerpeace

20. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

Yes--after the beta is completed, all Cyberhawk Pro users who hold a valid license will be able to "upgrade" for free to ThreatFire Pro.

When we officially release the non-beta version of ThreatFire you'll all be able to request a free ThreatFire Pro license from the www.threatfire.com website. You'll need your original Cyberhawk Pro license in order to do so.

(due to changes in the licensing scheme we couldn't just migrate all Cyberhawk Pro users to ThreatFire Pro, but we have designed a process to make it as simple as possible to get the new ThreatFire Pro)

Becky

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

This single features line makes all the difference in the world to some of us who lean a lot on "FREE" versions.

I hope this proggy is fine tuned it all enough to everyones expectations.

Thanks for the new notice.

22. maddawgz

it is finding things in hidden folder my First Defence ISR?... think theyre ok though not malaware, Adobe things guess i ignore that !MD

23. maddawgz

update
    does the Pro run ok along side other AV's?? is it heavier becuase of av?

24. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi folks and PCTools : Thanks for your rapid reply and explanations re Free vs Pro. From what I can gather , your added benefits in Pro version are two folded: firstly, an on-demand scanner (AV engine) and secondly, an always on, real-time behavior-based protection against blacklists utilizing AV engine. As to the latter part, how wide is that feature's scope. Let me put into more detailed perspectives; in avast home, its realtime has 6 shields= network, files,Web,IM,email and p2p. What do you have? I do not have your price structure for Pro version, and hoping its cost is in line with other paid softwares in term of quality and value.

25. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

ThreatFirePro is advertised @ $19.95 per year...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.