Goodbye to BOClean

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by LoneWolf, Aug 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

After much debate I have permanently removed BOClean 4.22 and will not install the Comodo version. :thumbd:
    BOClean has served me well but I had to remove it's life support and let it die.
    Burried in the software graveyard BOClean is now next to Ewido and ProcessGuard. :'(
    Now off to find a replacement. :mad:

2. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Perhaps you've howled a bit too soon, LoneWolf. :D I too am a long time BOClean user, and I wasn't thrilled when Comodo acquired it. I've seen more than a few of my favorite programs go the way of the bit bucket due to acuisitions by large and uncaring companies. Being that Kevin still is BOClean at Comodo, I have to give it a fair run. I'm currently running 4.25 with RejZoR's icon hack alongside KIS 7.xx. It's running as one would expect, and for me still a viable addition to my security.

3. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Yes, they were all such good soldiers.

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Same here, I won't go past version 4.22
    Just because it has the Comodo name and its free doesnt mean anything.
    The support went way down hill, still cant figure out how a whole entire message board cant match the support of 2 people who gave A+ support for 10 years.
    I'm currently using the trial version of A Squared 3.0, hopefully this will work out.

5. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Ok, thanks for letting us know.

6. Get

Get Guest

@LoneWolf: any particular reason for not using the Comodo version or is it just bad vibes?

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

In my opinion, if BOclean ever had a really great version it will probably be the present version 4.25. The reason is because Kevin was rushed to produce ver.23 and as you know it was buggy. Then Kevin and his team really tried to come up with a bugless version and did it. It don't get better.

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Any business acquisition will certainly bear at least two side effects; the bright and the dark one. In BoClean 's case, the dark side is that Comodo has not come forward cleanly and honestly with the so-called privacy intrusion issues, which if are left lingering unsolved, could hinder their future growth both in personal and its butter and bread section, namely commercial clients. Bad words could spread out like bush fire before it could be contained. I am going to ask members of local Chamber of Commerce re privacy issues in next coming regular meeting. The bright side of the rescue(a white knight style ?) is that Kevin now has more resources at his disposal to expand and prefect his talents. IMO, without Comodo's involvement, Kevin probably will take longer time to have future version ready and the surprising discovery of over-flow flaws existing since 4.09 version. It is a balance act users have to face. If your worries overcome the benefits you could receive, by all means, just shred Boclean without hesitation, otherwise.... have a nice one whatever it may be. For me, I continue to use BoClean until further clear development.

9. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

...I remain engaged in the debate and I myself have made no final decision...just big time undecided :doubt: :doubt:

Although I have taken the first step (of possible removal) by loading on one PC IP provided McAfee Suite which has decent spyware and trojan security, or so I hear.

10. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I have 4.25 running along side KAV 7 & Outpost Firewall Pro 4 with no problems. I saw no reason to dump it unless there were problems (like 4.23 when I went back to 4.22).

11. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I uninstalled BOClean because I prefer Win Patrol Plus.
    Not that I saw anything wrong with Comodo BOClean,just didn't need both programs.

12. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Any overlap between these two. I have scotty for a long time and have just upgraded to v.12. Can you share your findings? Thanks.

13. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They are not comparable! ;)

One is based on signatures, another monitors some system areas for changes...

14. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I am going to stick with Boclean. I didnt use the 4.23 version but did upgrade to the 4.24 when I read that peeps were running fine with it. Seems that 4.25 is running ok so upgraded to that also.

15. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

There have been a number of you that have said that you run Boclean along side KAV 7. Why? Are there, in your opinion, inadequacies in KAV's protection, or perhaps features that Boclean has that are useful? I ask because I have tried Boclean in the past (4.24) and was not thrilled. Besides I did not have a place for it seeing as how I had KAV, LnS, SSM, and system hardening tools.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

It's apples & oranges. BOClean is a frontline security app -- in the Rottweiller class along with A-squared, Superantispy, et al.

WinPatrol is a useful adjunct to any frontline security app -- as such, WP is properly classed as a Scotty. Lots of yip, not much bite.

17. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

It has nothing to do with inadequacies. KAV/KIS 7 are certainly powerful programs that cover a wide spectrum of system security. As good as they are, I still wouldn't depend on any one program to do everything. The layered approach is still the way to go, IMHO. BOClean has shown its worth to me more than once over the last several years. I'll also say that if Comodo picked up the program sans Kevin, I wouldn't be such an eager proponent.

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Perman,
    Thanks for mentioning version 12 in your post.
    I updated after reading that.;)

19. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

And just nice to have around - I use WP for checking programs, processes, etc.

Rob

20. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Yes,it is. I have the paid version. Very useful at times.

21. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Interesting on how everyone's opinion can be very different. IMO, as already said above, BOC 4.25 is probably the best version BOC yet released. I have it on every PC I touch...

22. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

There was a time not long ago when paid users were notified of upgrades to the program. I saw mentioned also that the previously paid users would be treated separately to the free users. I cannot see anywhere where the original users are going to have preferential treatment. I have asked this question twice and not had any reply.

23. fphall

fphall Registered Member

I guess that the silence _was_ your answer then. :-(

24. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Looks to be the case. I saw in other postings after I wrote mine that this seems to be the case.

25. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

So far paid users have been treated just like any other..................you can use it for free, but only if you use the newer Comodo build 4.25 can you continue or you can decide not to use it..........i choose not to use it anymore. I honestly think it was a bit of hotair from Kevin when he wrote that paid users would be treated differently, so that users that had just bought would not get too angry. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.