EQSecure 3.4 released + non-official language file

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by solcroft, Aug 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Why don't you apply the advanced rules of ThreatFire for registry and file protection? ThreatFire knows the system related processes and the trusted ones. Also the limitation of ThreatFire having no wildcards for the registry, will cut it down to a practible scope (e.g. of Toni Klein).

Regards Kees

2. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Very Impressive Indeed!!!

As much as i always depended heavily on SSM and have experienced no ill reservations on it's effectiveness, i find myself gradually migrating ALL my snapshots and/or hard drives over to this EQSecure 3.4 HIPS. With a little time spent tightening it's configuration rules, i find it formidable enough to warrant this switch-over.

3. Gen

Gen Registered Member

Easter do you use the Locked Mode ? i cant find a good use for it yet.

4. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I tried it too today and I must say that I am impressed too ATM.

One question: if the default browser is loaded then any application can launch a new browser window/tab. If the browser is not loaded then its OK, I am always asked first. How can I overcome this?

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Rules amking is not easy I think but realy I never tried, I will play some day.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

In System Safety Monitor theres a setting to "keep this process in memory" whereas IF something was to terminate, say your firewall, SSM would auto-restart it again infinitely many times as long as it's running.

Is there a similar setting in EQSecure?

7. Kees1958

In the how to setup custom rules post there is also a text file with all the reg entries.

Regards K

8. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm really sucked in to this HIPS without reservation. I've tested it and slammed it in an attempt to neutralize it's built-in capabilities and it returns some very promising results, enough that i've began to migrate to it from SSM.
    Some are going to think me silly or naive but i also prefer a GUI that has attractiveness as well as efficiency. EQ offers both so far. What bothers me is that just when we get settled into a HIPS we really find satisfactory which we can depend on, they usually make changes that raise eyebrows or complaints. I really do hope that they don't follow suit in that manner.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Protection against Physical memory access/ direct mem access doesn,t seem to work, no op ups.
    Can anyone confirm?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  10. Kees1958

Aigle,

It worked on 3.3, so it would be strange that 3.4 does have this fault.

Regards Kees

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I still have BOTH. Is there any real truth/proof to this about 3.4?

12. Kees1958

Easter,

Ask Aigle how he tested it, with DEP enabled for all programs I should not worry much.

Regards K

13. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have some files( non-malware) which ehen i run, NG and AD gives me baloon alert about direct memory access but no such warning from EQS!

Just try this, Open note pad, write anything in it( few haphazard alphabets), save it as .exe and run it. It will launch ntvdm.exe and u will see direct memory access alert about ntvdm.exe from ur HIPS.
    Or try the file I am uploading, rename it to .exe. It,s harmless file.

I saw it working in nicM tests about SSDT unhookers that it was working with 3.4. May be I am missing something. Unfotunately I have no such malware that accesses physical memory so I can,t test with a malware file.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  14. Nubiatech

Nubiatech Registered Member

Interesting, just tried this.
    EqSecure 3.4 popped up an informational alert stating that action has been allowed and a rule is automatically created for ntvdm.exe to be executed by explorer.exe.
    How safe is this? Should the rule be removed? Given that ntvdm provides virtual memory for 16-bit apps, are there any known threats or exploits against ntvdm, wowexec, and 16-bit user mode environments?
    Is buffer overflow protection planned for EqSecure 3.5?

15. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

The reason for this ntvdm.exe fiasco is because EQSecure automatically creates rules for applications digitally signed by Microsoft. Turn off that option, delete the corresponding automatically created rules, and see if you still get no pop-ups.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have no rules for ntvdm.exe and this is the only alert I get.

Attached Files:

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If i run XP Killer trojan, after allowing its execution, EQS remains blind and xpkiller deletes three services, windows update, system restore and firewall. Too bad. No pop up from EQS at all. NG stops it dead.
    Can anyone let the developer know about it.

Thanks

No more posts from me for many weeks now, back to no internet!:oops:

18. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

All I can say about this is that perhaps it's part of EQSecure's internal built-in ruleset. For instance, it doesn't raise alarms when programs install global hooks using shell32.dll or browseui.dll. But I can affirm that EQSecure does block direct physical memory access, as I've seen it do so many times before.

Regarding the inability to prevent service deletion, I've raised the issue before, when I noticed that DSA blocks this behavior and EQSecure couldn't. Since the developers have yet to respond, I can only guess that perhaps they don't consider it to be an issue. :rolleyes:

19. Kaupp

Kaupp Registered Member

20. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Hi, I'm trying EqSecure 3.41, in normal mode: no problem, only a thing that I'm not sure to understand. EqSecure detects all the applications of my system except KIS 7.0: after installing EqSecure, every application that I run for the firts time is correctly detected from it, but NOT KIS. Also if I run the KIS scan EqSecure sleeps. It sees KIS only when KIS is scannning an incoming email attachment or is warning me about a malware in web pages. But when I run for the firts time A-Squared, for example, only to open it, EqSecure immediately detects it.

What about this ? I have some ideas, but I would like to know your opinions.

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think the difference in different HIPS may be that different HIPS intercept physical memory access differently. Some HIPS might block write access to direct memory but allow to read, others may block both read and write.

Just a wild guees!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.