Nod32 to scan Gmail

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by psych1610, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    Hi, I use Thunderbird to access my school email (pop), my AIM mail (IMAP) and my Gmail (converted to pop via gmail options). Nod32 scans both my school email, and AIM mail without any extra configuration, however, I've noticed it's not scanning gmail. I don't get too much through that one right now so it's not a big deal but in the future I plan to.

I saw a thread here awhile back that attempted to explain it using a program called stunnel I believe. Sorry, I don't know who wrote that answer. Anyway, it was too complicated for my brain and involved editing a file or something.

My question, anyway to get nod to scan incoming and outgoing gmail messages without something really complicated that might confuse a novice? Or if there is no way other than the complicated way can someone provide clear, step by step type instructions.

Thanks,

psych1610

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Stunnel is the only way iirc. Also what part of the instructions confuse you? To edit the file, you just have to open it with notepad.

If you post screenshots, I could help you. Or you can also PM VaMPiRiC_CRoW and ask him.

3. psych1610

Ok, here's what I did. I took the instructions and copied and pasted them to what was there. Then I saved it.

I also made the settings for the screenshot in thunderbird look like how they should.

What's next?

Is it,

Run stunnel
    Service Install
    Service Start
    Service Stop
    Service Uninstall

I think I did everything else right. Bear with me, I'm struggling to figure out how to upload a screenshot.

psych1610

4. WSFuser

Find stunnel.conf and open it with Notepad. Then see these instructions for posting a screenshot.

5. psych1610

Thanks, I was close lol

This is a screenshot of what I added under pop3s in stunnel notepad.

Under start menu/stunnel it gives these options:

Run stunnel
    Service Install
    Service Start
    Service Stop
    Service Uninstall

Trying any one of the ones that says service install gives me an error. This is how thunderbird looks. I erased my username.

Attached Files:

6. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

Gmail is using Port 995 (Incoming) & Port 465 (Outgoing).

You may need to add the port here (the default has only Port 110):

IMON -> Setup -> POP3

7. psych1610

8. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

I am not using Gmail.

Perhaps you might want to give it a try?

IMON -> Setup -> POP3

If it doesn't work, you can always delete them.

9. WSFuser

IMON cannot scan SSL, so adding port 995 to the list wont do anything.

Anyways psych, you already did Service Install, correct? Did you then try Service Start?

Check task manager for the stunnel service.

10. psych1610

Stunnel.exe is running.

If I click on service install I get error: Create service error: 1073: The specified service already exists.. so yes, I guess I did already do service install.

Service start I also get an error, says "an instance of the service is already running". When I mouse over stunnel tray icon it says 0 sessions active.

Trying to download mail in thunderbird I get error message "connection to server localhost timed out" after about 1 minute.

11. WSFuser

In stunnel.conf delete the semicolon behind "client = yes", then retry using Thunderbird. If it still gets the same error, put back the semicolon.

12. psych1610

WSFuser, You SOLVED IT!! Thanks so much for your patience through this. My Gmail messages are coming in as being scanned by IMON just like all the other accounts I have.

Few stupid questions, if you don't mind.

1. What exactly did this do? Did it wrap the ssl encryption in pop to allow IMON to scan it?

2. I assume in order to have Gmail scanned by IMON stunnel would have to be running.

Do you know whether it starts up with my PC?
    Or perhaps it starts up with Thunderbird itself (ideal) and closes with it also.

I already saw how to eliminate the task bar icon, otherwise I would be asking for that to lol

Thanks again

psych1610

13. psych1610

Also, is there a particular place where I have to put this command:

Tip: You can hide the stunnel icon from the system tray by adding this in stunnel.conf:
    taskbar = no

I tried adding it and I ended up having to reinstall stunnel. It kept telling me there was an error and the server was down even after I deleted "taskbar=no".

The server wasn't down, because now it works fine.

psych1610

p.s. I answered my own question of whether it starts up or ends with thunderbird and whether it starts at bootup.

14. WSFuser

Honestly, I dont know what that option does, I just got the idea from this guide. But Im glad I was able to help you :thumb:

15. psych1610

You wouldn't believe it, I'm back.

Ok, here's another one for you all, sort of on the same topic.

I need to drop AIM in my Thunderbird client because for some strange reason they don't support tagging.

I found another email provider called fastmail: http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/imap/thunderbird.htm

For some reason IMON isn't scanning fastmail.

It's an IMAP mail server
    Currently using port 143 with no secure connection (same as AIM which is also not getting scanned). There is no smtp server for fastmail.
    It can support ssl port 993 but I would rather not do this because of the stuff I went through to get IMON to scan gmail with ssl enabled.

Can IMON not scan IMAP mail? Or do I have to add port 143 to nod32 to get it to scan?

Also, if someone can provide directions to get a normal free yahoo account scanned and then I swear I will leave you all alone.

Also, if anyone knows how to configure stunnel to hide it from the taskbar (using the configuration file) without me killing it, that would be appreciated.

16. WSFuser

IMON does not scan IMAP.

As for yahoo mail, the free version does not allow POP access from a email client. Theres various programs (like freepops) and even a Thunderbird extension to let you do POP, but then I wouldnt know how to set up scanning.

17. psych1610

Does anyone know if nod will eventually scan IMAP email? If not I think it's a feature worth adding.

psych1610

18. ASpace

ASpace Guest

As far as I know , the new Eset Linux product (which are currently in beta) can scan IMAP
    http://www.eset.com/company/article.php?contentID=3715

But they won't work for your Windows workstation ... :D

Did you forget AMON ? :thumb:

19. psych1610

Never, I just like the comfort of the signature on the bottom "scanned by nod32".

Maybe I'll just ask everyone who writes me an email to put that at the bottom.. eh?

I also enjoy the feeling of two scans being done with it. I suppose you're right, if anything did create itself AMON would catch it.

psych1610

20. ASpace

ASpace Guest

:D :D :D

21. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

The Stunnel site itself is confusing!
    How the heck do you download the program so it just works.
    Source code, binaries WTF?

22. WSFuser

You need to download the binaries (stunnel-4.20-installer.exe)

23. psych1610

Hahaha, I agree. I had to try a few times before I got it. Then I just saw the.exe file and hoped for the best. Even after you download it, it seems like there's a heartache. So much for nod and gmail just getting along. Damn ssl encryption.

psych1610

24. WSFuser

You already editted stunnel.conf, correct?

edit: look here ^ rogervon.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  25. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

OK, I've installed the service & started it. Changed the server settings on my gmail account, entered by gmail ADDRESS - not the user name as usual?- tried with and without the @gmail.com in the user name.
    I try to connect and a box asking for my password on localhost pops up. o_O Just for the hell of it I have tried my Gmail password & also left it blank.
    THIS appears:-

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n297/penfro/errormessage.jpg

So what next I wondero_O??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.