Available drive space question...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by squirrelsmasher, Jul 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squirrelsmasher

squirrelsmasher Registered Member

Hi, kinda new at all this and hoping I can get some help. My pc is an HP a920n, XP -SP2, Athlon 3400, 1GB Ram, 160 GB HD. I was having problems with my HD..ran Spinrite which helped, but got the "S.M.A.R.T. - BAD - backup and replace drive" message on reboot. So I purchased a Seagate 500 GB external HD and a copy of Acronis 10. Due to the amount of installed programs I have, I opted for the "CLONE SYSTEM" option.. Everything went great.. I changed my bios setup and booted from the external drive and everything works great..my problem is that my new 500 GB drive only shows 144 GB of available space, when it should have more than 300GB available.. The Acronis cloned ok..... but it also cloned the exact amount of space I had left on the original drive.... My questions are: 1) Where is the rest of my new HD space? and: 2) How do I get it back or get it to show in the drive properties? I'm kind of computer stupid so I apologize ahead of time if these seem like silly questions.. Thanks for any help anyone can provide!!:)

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

See if this helps:
    ================================
    If you have already cloned your drive and just want to regain the missing space procede as follows:
    1. Make the bootable True Image Rescue cd, if you have not already done so.
    2. Boot with it and from its main menu choose Manage Acronis Secure Zone.
    3. Create an SZ of any size less than the missing unallocated space. Do not accept the default to activate the Startup Recovery Manager.
    4. OK back to the main menu.
    5. Go right back into the Manage ASZ.
    6. Choose to Delete the SZ.
    7. When asked what to do with the space, accept the default to append it to the existing partition.
    8. Back out to the Main Menu, Exit the process, quickly remove the CD and reboot the system (if it doesn't self reboot).
    ====================================

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello squirrelsmasher,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It's possible that during cloning "As is" option for partition sizes was selected. If that's the case, then under Windows Disk Management window you will see unallocated space at the end of your drive. Please proceed as DwnNdrty suggests. If there is no unallocated space listed, and the drive total size is shown as 144gb as well, please refer to this thread for explanations and solution.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.