NOD32 and Fedware

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by msanto, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msanto

msanto Registered Member

It doesn't look like Eset was one of the companies surveyed in this story. I don't have anything to hide, but I can see the potential for malware piggybacking on fedware (defined in the article). Can someone from Eset respond to the question, what would they do in this case? I like eEye's answer, myself.

2. prius04

prius04 Registered Member

I'm not from Eset and I also don't have anything to hide. I did, however, read the article and am somewhat confused about one of the statements, to wit:

"Some, however, indicated that they would not alert customers to the presence of fedware if they were ordered by a court to remain quiet."

The use of the word "some" implies that other firms *might* alert customers, a court order to the contrary notwithstanding. I find it hard to believe that *any* firm would ignore a court order to remain quiet and thereby risk substantial penalties involved in such noncompliance......*all* firms would comply.

The main question, I think, is whether a firm would cooperate (i.e. remain silent), voluntarily, in the absence of a court order.

3. codpet

codpet Registered Member

I know corporate attitude, and I can tell you no company likes to comply with orders from any other entity unless they are forced to do so. Any company would feel that it is *their* product, and their's alone. Companies guard corporate/proprietary data/information much in the same way the government guards it's secrets.

The same goes for encryption; the government tried to put a stop to that with Zimmermann, but that didn't fly.

4. Itsy

Itsy Registered Member

It's a bit disturbing that ESET has no comment whatsoever on the issue raised by this thread.
    Any chance someone from ESET might want to close this subject one way or the other?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.