If every OS was free, which would you run?

Discussion in 'polls' started by InfinityAz, Jul 14, 2007.

?

If every OS was free, which would you run?

1. Linux

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Mac OS X

20 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Windows

102 vote(s)
    69.4%
  4. Other

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Assume the following:

• Every OS is free.
    • The hardware you have will run whichever OS you select and is medium-high to high-end hardware (i.e., the hardware won't limit you and what you want to accomplish with your selected OS).

*Limitations for each OS still exist.

Based on this, if every OS is free and hardware isn't a limitation, which OS would you run?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Windows. Im a gamer and Linux doesnt cut it for me.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I would like to try MAC and see what the fuzz is all about

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Interesting poll. I like it.

I haven't voted yet.

Because it makes a difference if the OS comes preinstalled or not.

So if it comes preinstalled & everything working to the max of the hardwares capability. I choose Linux. PCLinuxOS-2007 specifically.
    http://www.pclinuxos.com/
    A really cool distro that I've been using about 6 weeks. It works straight out of the install. But theres still a lot for this Linux n00b to learn.

But if I have to have to be up & running right away. I might still choose XP VLK.

So let me know & I'll vote.

6. zorro zorrito

zorro zorrito Registered Member

I would use Linux "ubuntu", very easy to use. I usually listen to the radio and it works better in ubuntu than in windows, no fails there.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Although I love Linux and have spent hundreds of hours installing distros and tweaking them, I'd still have to say Windows, mostly because it's easy all around out of the box, and has the best compatibility with everything out there.

8. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Has to be Windows XP for me - too many of the programs I need to use only seem to work with Windows. XP is fast and stable for me and has presented no security issues. Would like to see more competition.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You couldn't have said better for me.

10. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

My line of work every OS is free :D I use Linux. But I do admit XP is rock solid and I use it for games.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

windows, Vista. I have it and it is running great.:thumb:

12. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I have XP-MediaCenterEdition, which is my fave of 7 or so OS'es used or test driven. If free, I'd like to upgrade to Vista-MCE, but only after SP1 comes out

13. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

My first choice would be the Windows OS, but since all of them are free I'll grab the chance to get them all. :shifty:

14. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Exactly my point of view

MaB

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

windows xp or vista since all the apps i use work on them and i can play games on it.
    i do like trying linux but its hard to find a decent distro that i like plus cnt play games.
    lodore

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Windows for me too. For me, better the devil I know than the devil I don't. ;)

17. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Since only the security really matters to me, despite the compatibility problems, then Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit (Ultimate due to secpol.msc, otherwise Home Premium would suffice) and of course I want to be able to run my precious Windows Internet Explorer, also due to security and ergonomical reasons. [​IMG]

18. Get

Get Guest

I voted "other", because I would try OS X before highly probable, but not certain going back to XP Pro which runs pretty flawless here so there's no real need to switch.

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I would definitely run all, except Vista. Which is almost what I do now. XP mainly for games and such, Linux for uber-tweakery, development, fun and such. I get to stare at my brother when he works in Mac...
    Mrk

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Windows XP. However, will probably install Vista when I feel the time has come to upgrade my main hardware (in one or two years time).

Regards

Menorcaman

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Windows XP. It's like a car that 's been produced for a while, and its design might be a bit outdated, but in terms of performance we are talking about something that has reached the state of the art through years of security updates ( I must confess I have neither the time nor the inclination to try any other OS).

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

On this forum and other forums you can read where I stated that I am a registered beta tester for Microsoft and also that I tested Vista for a year. I was not impressed with Vista's software compatabily problems. But since then I have installed Vista Home Premiom and am totally satisfied with it. All of the programs I ran on XP run just fine on Vista. I can even run several programs that I ran on 98se. Vista is a main stream OS now and does seem to be a great alternative as an OS, as long as your PC is powerful enough to actually get the full experience with Vista. I surely won't be going back to XP. It would would be as bad as reverting from XP back to win 98.

bigc

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

windows never will be free so it's a pointless question, not that proprietary stuff bothers me, but linux really is free right now, so is bsd. but, i use linux because it's easy to use and stable.

24. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

Voted Wndows. Im a gamer and prefer to have the vast choice of programs that run on Windows

25. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

Voted for windows, Vista love it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.