logon problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mmh, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmh

mmh Registered Member

I want to set up a daily scheduled differential backup using my 2nd hard drive. The final screen filled in a default username and I tapped in a suitable password. A message appears saying that it is the wrong logon information. What could be the reason?

2. robinh

robinh Registered Member

Re: logon problem (second instance)

I recently purchased Acronis 10 build 4942. I did a manual backup & then scheduled a daily 3 am backup. My server was down for a while so I did not expect that to work. Now it is up and still does not work. When I edit the schedule, one screen asks for the User name & password. I enter the correct user name & password and then on hitting next I get "The login information is not correct...".

The help screens are not entirely helpful. They tell me what to do if I am a member of a domain but do not tell me what to type if I am a member of a workgroup. Do I just enter user-name or machine-name\user-name? I have tried both and neither works (gives the message above).

Backup is running on a Vista machine which is member of my Workgroup. I am backing up to a new Windows XP MCE in the workgroup. I can access the server using Remote Desktop. The server backup directory is shared. I can double-click on existing backup files and see the slices list.

What to do?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mmh and robinh,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please remember that you should specify the name of the user who owns the executed task, otherwise no scheduled execution will be available.

User name and password which should be entered are those user name and password you use to log into your Windows Operating System. The user name should have the following format: Computer Name\User name

Could you please make sure that you have administrator rights and type in user name the same as in Scheduled Tasks available at Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > Scheduled tasks. Schedule a new task with Add New Task wizard and copy username and password form it.

You can check the user rights at Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment -> Local users and Groups

Thank you.
    --
    Michael Fedyulin

4. jaycee

jaycee Registered Member

Hi,

In a workgroup context, i'll add a few ideas :

create the same account on both machines, login and password

Make sure "Windows Easy File Share" is not activated.

That is to ease the account things and make sure it works correctly :)

Jaycee

5. mmh

mmh Registered Member

Problem solved! What I hadn't realised is that my single home computer is not password protected under my user name. After correcting that, everything went smoothly and I now have a scheduled task. Thankyou to all.
    mmh

6. robinh

robinh Registered Member

Last night I ran a full backup successfully.

Today I tried to create an incremental task but I am stuck on the same problem.

I could not find a screen "Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local users and Groups" as you suggested. Is this a Vista difference or is it me?

I checked in Control-panel ->User Accounts and yes I am an administrator.

The incremental backup wizard asks for passwords three times, the first for the shared file, the second in case the archive is protected (it is not) and the third for the "User information". This is the one I can't get past. I accept the default user name entered by the the program (workgroup\username) and then enter my password twice and get the same message "The login information is not correct".

So full backup works, incremental backup does not! What exactly is being tested to cause the message "The login information is not correct"? Is the program testing workstation access, server access and file password access or does just try login access on the task machine?

jaycee suggests "create the same account on both machines, login and password. Make sure "Windows Easy File Share" is not activated."

I cannot create the same account on both machines if the workgroup is a part of the user name. I do use the same user & password on both machines.
    Is "Windows Easy File Share" common to XPSP2 & Vista? Where do I find that in Vista? Does Acronis recommend that? Why should full backup work and incremental not?

Has this program been fully tested with Vista? Did I read somewhere that Vista does not operate in Administrator mode all the time?

What next?

7. Acronis Support

Hello robinh,

In Windows Vista Control-panel ->User Accounts is an equivalent of Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local users and Groups in Windows XP.

"Simple File Sharing" mentioned by jaycee is a setting of Windows XP. It's recommended to keep it disabled for some functions of Acronis True Image to work properly, but it's most likely irrelevant to the current case.

Please make sure you are entering the password you are using to log into the account on Windows Vista which user's name is used for scheduling the task.

If the problem persists, please create screenshots of all steps of the scheduling wizard. Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

8. robinh

robinh Registered Member

I just created yet another new incremental backup task from scratch.
    This time it worked!

I do not know what I did different but I did not get asked for the backup-source machine logon and password this time.

I just got the screens for logon for the remote machine and the archive file password. I don't know what causes the program to ask for the additional login?

Anyway it worked!

More ...

The difference was that I had not put in a schedule. Without the schedule, I did a manual incremental backup with no problems. I then edited the task to specify daily backup. Now I get the extra screen asking for logon on the program machine. I enter the correct user name and password and then get the message "The login information is not correct".

It seems that for the program to be run later (on schedule), it needs the logon for the program machine and somehow thinks that it is wrong.

Does that give you more clues?

...Later...

Problem possibly solved. Looking further on this forum I found another post that said:

“it might also be worth pointing out that if you ever changed a user account name in XP via the control panel, it only changes how the name is displayed. you'd still need to enter the original account name in for acronis (or for a manual, non-welcome screen windows logon I believe). “

This may have been the problem. It was a new computer and I may not have liked the user name assigned by the shop so I may have changed it. I am not sure.

Anyway, I decided to create a new administator account and password and used that instead.

Now I can enter that on the program dialog and get to the end of the dialogs without error.

It is scheduled to run tonight at 3 am, so I will get the final answer tomorrow.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  9. Bob48

Bob48 Registered Member

I am also having problems scheduling backups using True Image version 8.0 under XP Home.

My backup works perfectly when run manually.

When I tried to schedule the backup, I got the invalid username/password combination message. Following the suggestion above, I ran the Network Setup Wizard but to no avail.

I then added a new administrator account (logged on using it so XP would create all the folders and settings) and used this for the scheduled backup and this time it was accepted and the schedule was created ok.

However, when I select the scheduled task and click on 'Start Now' the normal progress window comes up for about 5 seconds and is then replaced by message "Image creation has completed with errors. Please see log for more details." But when I click the 'Show Log' button it just says 'empty'.

Any idea what the problem might be, please?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  10. Lefty55

Lefty55 Registered Member

Michael Fedyulin's answer does not compute for some of us. I'm running TrueImage 10-build 4942 on a Dell Windows XP machine. He states:
    User name and password which should be entered are those user name and password you use to log into your Windows Operating System. The user name should have the following format: Computer Name\User name
    I do not 'log on' to my Windows operating system. I have no User Name and password I have to enter, and I don't want one. Why does the program INSIST I have both to run a scheduled incremental backup?

11. BBCMember

BBCMember Registered Member

Hi robinh,

Did it work? Did you set up the incremental backup while logged into the windows user that you were having trouble with, but entered the computer name and new windows user name that you created when asked for it by the program? Or did you have to log into the new user to set it up?

And if you had to log into the new user to set it up, does it have to be logged into the new user when it performs the scheduled incremental backup?

Let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.

12. Acronis Support

13. Acronis Support

Hello Lefty55,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please be aware that username and password are required to perform scheduled tasks in Windows, be it using Acronis scheduler, Windows scheduler, or any other. In your situation I could recommend you to create a user with administrator (or at least backup operator) rights and a password, and use that username/password in scheduled backups.

You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home in the respective User's Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

14. robinh

robinh Registered Member

Yes it did work for me.
    Incremental sector backup now generates 5 Gb daily!! Too much! I will have to do this less frequently and use file backup as daily backup.

You asked:

1. I created a new admin account 'Backup' while logged in as me.

2. While logged in as me, I scheduled the backup specifying log in as 'Backup' in the schedule dialog box.

3. I have never logged in as ForBackup.

Note later I found this on Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283111

It refers to XP Home edition. Surely Vista Home Premium does not do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.