Is Norton 360 another letdown?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by confused0625, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. confused0625

confused0625 Registered Member

I might be getting Norton 360 for my mom, as I heard that it is an app that you can set it and forget it. As for memory and CPU usage, does it consume a lot like other norton products? I'd be happy if anyone gave me exact figures. Thanks for the help.

2. NNard

NNard Registered Member

Exact figures regarding CPU memory and usage depends on your system configuration and setup. Trial it before you buy it to see how it runs and/or coexists with other software installed. Just be sure to uninstall any other security software that may be installed and possibly conflict with Norton.

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I haven't tried 360 but I can tell you that NIS '07 on my computer has 5 processes using 7.2 MB RAM (however I am not using the Add-On Pack). I imagine that 360 will have more since it has the other stuff like the backup/restore. I don't really need all that other stuff myself. Also it lacks certain things like right-click scan but ordinary computer users probably don't do a lot of that anyway.

The last sentence in PCWorld's review of 360 pretty much sums it up:

:D

Review is here if you're interested.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

norton 360 is a fine product,

no right click scanning though, wtf ? o_O

also, ive never like these suites with a useless backup thing, which always wants to try and backup useless stuff, pain in the butt.

the suite NIS2007 has right clicking scanning, more options to play around with and i prefer its gui too, backup is NOT there either :)

norton is light and extremely powerfull, it does its job... with a little class.

:thumb:

6. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I'd opt for NIS 2007 + Acronis TI since it is also a set-it-and-forget-it combo.

7. confused0625

So now I'm deciding between Norton 360 and NIS 2007, but does NIS 2007 nag you with pop up messages constantly? Also, if I was getting the 360, do you believe that there's just too few options to configure?

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

yes norton 360 has too little options to configure,

no NIS2007 doesnt nag or have constant pop ups, if any....

9. confused0625

So from what I hear everyone thinks NIS 2007 is better?

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

NIS2007 has a better program layout, right click scanning and more configurable options.

360 has a plain GUI, no right click scanning, but it has the backup tool (which i find useless)

the choice really is yours to make, but i prefer NIS2007 definatly, and based on most comments ive read on here, so do most people for sure.

11. confused0625

Why do you say that? And is it the 2GB of online storage atleast useful for backing up documents?

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

if it is something you want, then it might appeal.

please try the trials and find out which one you prefer yourself. :)

plus - i dont even think you can just do a full scan with norton 360, i think you need to go through all the scans aswell, such as backup/weak password checks/temp files clearout which is just annoying aswell etc etc

but really, it might appeal to you, so try both versions and see which you prefer.

13. confused0625

Thanks... that's what I should've done in the first place anyway. One more question (bear with me). Does Norton still have a problem with uninstallations, where it doesn't sucessfully uninstall everything?

14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

15. Hangetsu

Hangetsu Registered Member

I might be going against the grain here, but based on how you expect to use it (i.e. installing it on your Mom's PC, set and forget, and quiet so you don't get called about pop-ups), I think Norton 360 would be an excellent pick. Its handles EVERYTHING behind the scenes (backups, updates, scanning, etc.), its very light (I think it also was around 7MB), and I didn't notice any performance degradation on my Mom's PC.

It doesnt have a right click or on-demand scan, but in my case I'm far enough away that I'm not about to walk her through this anyway - Most people don't need it if the files are being scanned on-access. It does scan on-access as well as new files, so you are protected. It also runs regular scans while the PC is not in full use (so it won't degrade performance).

Both products would work well for you, but given what you appear to be looking for, my vote would be for 360.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.