Security vendors question accuracy of AV tests

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Thankful, Jun 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

2. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

That is absolutely bullshit.

3. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

TOtAL BS. I agree with IC.

4. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

You do not have any other option :D

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

FIXED! (-:

tD

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  6. FRug

FRug Registered Member

lol, the wildlist alone has 766 entries at the moment. VB may use less samples than Marx or Clementi, but not THAT few.
    In addition to the wildlist they test additional larger sets like the "standard" set, macro sets, a few thousand poly samples etc....
    I agree they use less samples.... but 30-50 is WAY off from the correct number....

I guess the sentence in the article totally confused some of the special HIPS proactive tests with on-demand scans...

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

fixed on the forum, but the website still shows the wrong info.

8. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I meant this to be a joke. ;)

tD

9. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

Before I can agree with you :D [learning mode] Why [learning mode] :)

10. herbalist

herbalist Guest

About the only thing those tests are good for is advertizing. All they do is tell you how each one did against a very specific set of samples at a specific moment in time. The results are almost meaningless.
    The article. The vendors complaints. The tests themselves. All BS.

I hate to see what they'll come up with for more comprehensive testing of suites, and how badly the results will be misused to discriminate against single purpose security apps.

Rick

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I am holding a very neutral stance on this issue for now, however I will say that I was expecting an article of this sort to be published sooner or later.

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

this didnt surprise me, although i dont think its completly BS, just a few disagreements.

i still want to see a removal test for the tested products.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think calling it BS along with other tests that are performed is childish. I think there is some validity to all of these tests. Just how much you want to put into them, is entirely up to you. So to each his own.

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I think they mixed up the numbers lol. It should be vice versa...

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

BS is every where.

16. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I think any sort of testing is legitimate. Whether users should accept the findings is a different story.

I think the best way of testing AV would be:

- Pay 10 random script kiddies and 10 proclaimed hackers to collect, assemble, compile, and prepare a random set of 1,000 samples, including placebos, innocent programs, web exploits etc.

- Test the AV for a full week in an isolated environment (virtual LAN) where both experts but also novices will work machines and have to interact with exploited web sites, pdfs, docs, screensavers, links in chat etc.

- Compile results and present to the public.

- 10 kiddies / hackers can be replaced with any number of people capable of writing code, collecting code, finding malware samples etc.

Mrk

17. herbalist

herbalist Guest

It would be much more realistic than the testing they do now, where you don't know where the next threat will come from. Instead of just AVs, open the tests up to other security apps like sandboxes, HIPS, virtualization, etc and include people who know how to use them. Open up the choices of operating systems, not just XP or Vista. Add a few alternatives to Windows and a few older systems to reflect real world usage. The test should include at least one computer hobbyists system. I'll volunteer mine. :D

Signatures + Heuristics
    vs
    containment
    vs
    a virtual system
    vs
    default-deny
    vs
    not commonly targeted
    vs
    secure by design.
    I couldn't imagine an AV vendor ever agreeing to a test like that. Too embarrasing for signature based apps but the alternatives would shine.
    Rick

18. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Mrkvonic,
    Had an idea for testing, a variation on yours. Instead of an isolated network environment, how about an obstacle course? Have a group of hackers create a series of web pages using exploits, embedded code, whatever methods they choose, containing all kinds of user file types and types of active content with the intent of defeating security-ware and compromising the computer. The computers/apps being tested have to be fully functional, no disabled JS, Java, text-only browsers, etc, functionality typical of the average internet computers. Links from one test page to another could be in the active content to ensure compliance. Users have to open the links in order to finish the course, no avoiding the malicious content. Systems must withstand the attack. This duplicates the average user who clicks on anything. No routers, no hardware firewalls. Strictly testing software and the computers themselves. A few simple rules like no destructive malware. No previews of the course. You find out what the threats are when you get to them. System snapshots before and after the course to judge the effectiveness of each app or package. Let the malware writers rate the apps and packages.
    Rick

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This thread is very confusing. Some of you are replying based on a joke fix. :(

Maybe this thread should be canned and started over.

I have no objection to adding tests for suites but those results would not interest me. I don't use suites. I like the layered approach.

20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

A wise choice.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.