Process Protection

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LoneWolf, Jun 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Without installing a full blown hips,is there a program out there who's only job is to protect process's?aka security apps.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Are you referring to protecting security apps against being shut-down by malware? If so System Safety Monitor will do that job. Of course SSM IS a "full blown HIPS" -- however, you can UN-full-blown it by disabling all rules except those for applications.

Concerning which, you might want to read THIS thread on the SSM support forum.

3. LoneWolf

Thanks for the reply Bellgamin. I've thought about SSM but setting up that app scares the hell out of me,seems very confusing.o_O I've learned alot over the last few years but this one has me confused on setting it up. But if I start out just using the process protection feature and slowly set it up proper like I should be allright..?? o_O I have used PG in the past which did a good job,just did'nt want to use something that is still not being developed or supported. I wonder how others are(Pro Security,App Defend,Anti Hook and so on) not that that was really what I was looking for but it will do if theres no good dedicated app that just protects one's process's.So if I try SSM is the free version good enough for this or do I need the paid version?

4. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

5. LoneWolf

6. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I would suggest Prosecurity at http://www.proactive-hips.com/

This application looks and feels a lot like Process Guard and it is what replaced PG on my system...

7. bellgamin

Before installing SSM make every effort to ensure that your computer is clean of any & all malware. Then...

1- Install SSM -- By the way, I recommend you NOT be connected to the internet until you get to step #7 below.
    2- Reboot
    3- (a) Start SSM. (b) Right-click SSM icon in system tray & be sure it's in Learning mode THEN (c) on that same right-click menu click "Preferences" (which will get you SSM's GUI) THEN (d) click "Process Monitor" tab AND right click any listed process. On the resultant right-click menu select "Trust all running processes" THEN (e) click Options" tab and check following 4 boxes...

Start automatically
    Connect user interface at startup
    Show icon in system tray
    Confirm exit

4- Click "Apply" then exit SSM's GUI.
    5- Make sure that SSM is still in learning mode and reboot your PC.
    6- Now start-then-exercise-then-close each & every one of the applications that you use most often each day. (a) Be sure & include your browser & email programs (even though you must still remain unconnected). (b) If you use a launcher to open programs, then be sure and use it -- so SSM can make note of parent-child relationships. (c) Don't forget to include Windows goodies such as Task Manager & Explorer & Control Panel.
    7- Once you have exercised all your programs THEN reboot, THEN (a) connect to the internet (still in learning mode) THEN (b) update all your security programs that require daily updates, THEN (c) disable Learning mode.

After that, you should get very few SSM pop-ups. To research those few pop-ups, here are the 3 links I use most often...

ProcessLibrary
    ProcessInfoCentral
    StartUpList

8. LoneWolf

Thanks again Bellgamin.Very informative post.I will give SSM a try this weekend when I have time.Now the instructions that you gave are for the paid or free version? Or does it not matter?

9. bellgamin

Those instructions are based on the paid version. However, I am 99.9% certain that they are fully valid for the free version as well.

10. LoneWolf

11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

An easy way would be to use any normal hips and just disable everything except process protection.

12. LoneWolf

Up and running fine.:thumb:
    Thanks again Bellgamin.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.