My computer freeze after login

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tepe2, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

My computer freeze after login. BING or SSM?

I restored an image to resolve the problem. But I dont know why my computer froze after login.

When I create an image I use the date as name of the image-file.

I created an image 070505 which contain the following changes to my Windows XP-partition: Installed Cyberhawk, Ashampoo Burning Studio 6.5, IE Tab (Firefox Extension). Uninstalled Ashampoo Burning Studio 2007 and IE View Lite. Updated Nod 32 from 2.7.32 to 2.7.39.

So far so good.

Then I decided to do some other changes to XP-partition. First I ran Ccleaner and Windows defrag. Then I created image 070615.

Made the following new changes: Update Thunderbird to 2.0.0.4. Uninstalled Adobe Reader, and installed PDF-XChange Viewer. Update to last version of Ccleaner. Turn off Windows System Restore. And the last thing I did was: Doubleclick MyComputer - Rightclick C-partition (XP) - Properties - at the bottom I chose to turn off something that makes faster search on disk. (Sorry dont know how to explain in English).

After one or maybe two days my computer froze within a minute after login. I tried several times. Also right click Cyberhawk icon and suspend. Did not help. So I took the easy way out. Restored image: 070615. And here I am.

Probably hard to tell what made my computer freeze, but if anyone has an idea please let me know. I hope it was not Cyberhawk because I like it.

Almost forgot: Ccleaner hang up/froze last time I used it. Anyone have issues with Ccleaner?

I cant see other than Ccleaner and perhaps Cyberhawk causing the problem, but I could be wrong.

XP serv.pack 2
    Nod 32
    XP Firewall
    Cyberhawk
    Ccleaner
    Firefox, Noscript, Ad-Block Plus
    Thunderbird

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Today it happened again. No error message.

I logged into Windows, and did not do anything else. Did not start any program/application. The latest Windows Updates downloaded automatic, but I did not install. Yesterday I installed SAS Free and updated Adobe Reader. Thats the only changes to this image.

I once again restored the same image.

More than a week ago I had SSM trial and DSA installed. When SSM/DSA was on my system i had some problems, but I restore an image after testing software, so that should not affect my system now.

This time I will not do any changes to OS-partition, and wait and see if it happen again.

Does anyone have similar problems with Ccleaner, Cyberhawk or Adobe Reader?

Something I can do to find out why my computer freeze?

Or should I restore an older image and go on from there?

(Dont know if it matters, but I have moved my FF and TB profiles from C-partition to D-partition.)

3. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I know now that I have serious problems.

I have restored 3 different images, including the first image i created. This is almost a clean install. Windows, Firefox, Thunderbird, Adobe Reader, Mozbackup and Nod32.

Still same problem. I use BING (BootIt Next Generation) as disc image tool. I dont think BING is the problem.

Maybe I did something wrong when SSM was installed?

Last time my computer hang up, I did notice in Task Manager that the following processes was the last to start up before hang up:

wmiprvse.exe
    wuauclt.exe

Unless I am wrong I do remember SSM asked a question about one or both of these, and something like logon or logonui. Maybe I did mess up with wrong answer?

Anyway, I dont understand why the problem is still there when I restore an image. This should not be possible.

I can startup in Safe Mode, and it seems to work like it should, no hangup. I did scan with Nod32 in Safe Mode. Nothing found.

If restoring an image does not work, why should reinstall work? Hardware failure?

What can I do? Throw my computer out of the window?

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Re: My computer freeze after login. BING or SSM?

No replies.

I have BING installed (but also cd)

Not so long after I installed BING I backed up the MBR. (Floppy) Should I restore MBR from floppy? Will that resolve my problem or make it worse?

Restoring any image does not work. I only create images of my OS-partition which is C: Could the problem be on D-partition?

Main hdd internal:
    C: Windows XP and applications
    D: Personal data, music, documents....

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I would download "paragon justboot corrector" demo , burn that onto a cd, and use it to bootup your computer. When it boot's up, look at your partitions and make sure that your system drive is c:. Sometimes during restorations , drive letters get changed around and that will prevent windows from booting up. This is very common on windows xp. Also another utility that can boot up a drive, that won't boot up normally is "Partition commander pro 10", it also comes in a bootup cd and has the same "boot corrector" utility built-in as paragon.
    As far as messing with the mbr, fixmbr, repair installations etc, when I have un bootable drives after restorations it's usually cause by a drive letter being changed. It's a pretty quick fix if you have the right utilitys.
    I also only do images of my c: partition and that always works for me. I upgrade/change hard drives all the time and have always been able to get my restorations to work , from personal expierence I suspect you have a drive letter problem.
    As far as your slow log-in, and computer freezing. when I had a similar problem it was cause when I was using a SATA drive as my boot drive. It was a motherboard/sata drive problem (to fix it I just replaced the sata with an IDE.).But it can be cause by software problems also.

6. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions :)

I am able to boot up
    C is my system drive
    I login Windows

The problem is that a minute after I login to Windows my computer freeze. I can start any application, Firefox, Thunderbird or other, but after a minute it freeze. If I only login to Windows but not start anything at all, my computer still freeze after a minute.

I have restored all my images with BING earlier without problems.

I uninstalled BING, used BING CD, reinstalled BING. Problem still there. I overwrite OS-partition 6 times, then restored an image. Problem still there.

I dont think BING or my images is the problem, but I could be wrong.

I dont think Ccleaner could have caused this problem, but I could be wrong.

I think perhaps SSM and the lack of my knowledge to use it, has something to do with my problem. But I could be wrong.

I cannot download anything because my computer freeze before I get that far. I use a laptop right now. This laptop is not mine, so I dont want to download anything on it.

Dont know what to do. The problem must be outside Windows and my images. But where? Anything I can do to find out?

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

"This laptop is not mine, so I dont want to download anything on it."

That these appear to be coming from the same location I don't see reason to hesitate, but understand your caution. Top one say's the demo/trial is unavailable. The lower page, yes. The download for me worked out to around 2meg's.

http://www.rescue-kit.de/eng/home/personal/demo.htm
    Name: rescue-kit.de - Address: 62.159.194.173

http://www.justboot.us/boot_corrector.htm
    Name: justboot.us - Address: 62.159.194.173

The 'JustTry,' direct download link - ht*tp://download.paragon.ag/demo/jbbc_demo.exe
    On my machine the download did in fact originate from 62.159.194.173

FYI, justboot is linked from paragon - http://www.paragon-software.com/links.htm
    PS - I posted cause it looked like you could use a little encouragement. ;)

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2007
  8. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks this looks interesting.

I cannot use my desktop to download this utility because it freeze.

Can I download JustBoot to the laptop and burn cd. And then use the same cd on my desktop?

9. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I tried this "Justboot" utility. It does not work at all.

I downloaded it to the laptop. Burned cd.
    On my desktop I setup Bios to boot from cd first.
    Restart and put in cd.
    It starts, but says:

No swap space!
    Please wait Getting partitions info...

Dont know what this means. I also tried Windows cd and repair XP, but it ask for adm password. I dont have. So I tried fixmbr. But still same problem. So I guess there is nothing wrong with mbr.

I got BING to avoid these kind of trouble. I thaugt that if anything should go wrong I just had to restore an image and everything would be fine.

I was wrong!

And if I cant find a solution to my problem here at wilders, where else?

I may just have to give up.

10. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I did reinstall Windows XP.

It works.

I created an image of this clean install.

Then I restored one of my images. The same problem is still there.

So I restored the clean-install-image.

For some reason all my images are corrupt. Except the clean-install-image.

I still want to know why. And I would love to know how to work it out so that I can use one of these images and go on from there. Because if I can not work it out I have a lot of work to do. Install drivers, windows settings, install applications...............

Im sure it can be fixed.

11. GlobalForce

Look's interesting?

It's what jonyjoe81 suggested. Sorry to hear something else may still be undermining your effort's.

I did reinstall Windows XP. It works.

Never hurt's to clean the slate. Maybe even rule's out any potentially suspect hardware?

Say, the image you restored has which program's onboard? You can probably forget about anyone answering "why" because it's anybody's guess what happened exactly. Furthermore, reinstalling those other item's shouldn't be that big a deal provided you have the disk's. Too many folk's complain about "oh, the burden of installing software" .... what? A large install take's all but two or so minute's, right? Hey, if it'll give you back your sanity it's worth it?

This time though I think a systematic approach to program *install order* is in effect. Paranoid2000 recently shared his thought's in this area though eluding my memory atm (yes Mrk, even mine lapses). Instead, take a look here (watch it as I think Pilli's second post "PO" mention should be OP). While tinkering perhap's you pose that question to the community. Your choice to run SSM is a good one I think and should allow you to lighten your arsenal, provided you take the time to properly configure it.

Take it one program at a time with snapshot's between after having installed the minimum amount of protection to go online. Too many new item's at once make's it difficult to determine which app may be at fault when problem's arise.

Steve

12. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

This is the metode I used. The first image contain Windows, Nod32, FF, TB and Adobe Reader. Then I installed one or two programs and another image. And so on. It worked for months, then suddenly I had problems.

I thaught no big deal, just restore one image. Did not work. Yes I can install all programs from scratch, but I still would like to know what happened because it could happen again.

I think the problem can be fixed from booting to safe mode. But I dont know where to look.

SSM is not for me. I dont have the knowledge required to use it. I think that is why I have problems now.

A key to solve my problem could perhaps be the answer to this question:

What does BING and other image tools not backup when creating an image of C-partition? And does SSM have access to this?

All my images worked. Then suddenly after messing around with SSM and other HIPS I had problems. I dont know why all images including the first one is affected.

13. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Must be something I can download to my D-partition, and then boot to safe mode and run this to check if all windows files is ok?

14. GlobalForce

So let me get this right .... you have no pro controlling outbound? Forgive me too if I've overlooked this somewhere but your restoring these images from where? Another partition? If cd/dvd, is the burner your using internal or external?

Could you also fill me in on what it is you use ccleaner for .... automated registry cleaning? Other? Cyberhawk .... free or paid? Looking at your sig I'm under the impression your box is a triple-drive. :eek: Two internal's .... one 500, one 250, and another 500, external? Is that (oy~vay) correct?

Oh, almost forgot .... sp2 came included on your install disk or through update, separate sp2 disk?

S

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  15. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Now also the re-install freeze !

Reinstalled and installed the usual drivers, network, nvidia... but now freeze.

I have 2 int drives.
    Samsung 500gb (main drive) and 250 gb second drive

I have one WD MyBook 500 gb ext drive.

I store my images on both MyBook ext drive and second int. drive.

I used Ccleaner to clean up registry. I backed up first.

Cyberhawk trial, which means first 14 days pro, then turn to free version.

Serv.pack 2 came on my Windows CD when I bought my computer.

As I said, the reinstall of Windows alse freeze. This is strange. Maybe my new Samsung hdd is destroyed?

If no other suggestion I may just have to use the old 250 GB hdd as my main, and install XP on this.

The laptop I borrowed is now delivered back. Im using a very old laptop now, and dont know how long it will work. Very slow.

I thaugt after reinstall I could download some utility on my desktop to search for errors, but I can not because it freeze.

16. GlobalForce

"I'm using a very old laptop now, and dont know how long it will work. Very slow." I'll take this into account tepe. Now that I know for sure which drive manufacturer's are involved give me a few hour's to investigate.

Confirm one item before signing off. This Samsung drive is new? Meaning it replaces a previous drive that was different from what came installed with the base system, or was it merely an addition because of an unoccupied drive bay?

Late question: Were these restore snapshot's taken before the addition of the new drive or afterward's?

S

17. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

When I bought my computer the Seagate 250 GB (which now is my second internal) was the only drive. I bought the Samsung 500 GB 3 months ago.

I created an image after reinstall, so I have an image of the clean install. And I mean clean as in only Windows, no drivers.

Right now I restored this clean image and no freeze. I install drivers, Nvidia nForce4-4 Series Utility CD (nVidia chipset, usb2.0, audio, network) and driver for nVidia G Force 6600GT. I activate Windows and start Internet Explorer try to go to Eset.com to download Nod32, but then...Freeze.

Same thing happened first time after re-install. I activated Windows and go to Windows update...then freeze.

Thank you so much for trying to help me:)

18. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

BING is the first and only image tool I use.

I started to use it 2 months ago, after I put in my new Samsung 500 GB.

Has worked fine until now.

The problem must be somewhere on my hdd, but outside Windows?

19. GlobalForce

Thank's for the info tepe. Your one of the few who actually understand the importance of answering question's with detailed answer's. I suggest we both take a break from this, relax, and give our subconscious a chance to get creative.

I'll post back later sometime, OK. ;)

Steve

20. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks GlobalForce:)

Dont know if it matters but I notice this:

I login (one of my corrupt images), and before my computer freeze I open a document in OpenOffice. I can scroll up and down this document for several minutes, but as soon as I click the close mark upper right corner to close OpenOffice, then it freeze.

(I only use OpenOffice as an example here, it also happen with other applications) As soon as I start or close anything my computer freeze.

21. GlobalForce

Tepe,

I think we're quickly approaching that fuzzy grey area filled with thing's like hard disk type's, master/slave lingo, and jumper pin setting's. Tell me, how was it you came to add this extra disk? Was it recommended as compatible through your pc manufacturer? Did it come included with a manual and software? Did YOU install it? I ask because I no longer suspect software issue's as much as hardware, it's compatibility with your existing, and whether it was properly setup to coincide with mobo capability. Here, take a look through this somewhat dated, but still relevant guide to gain a sense of where my thought's are focused. *Fill me in on those disk type's.

http://www.infohq.com/Computer/adding-second-hard-drive-review.htm

Though I don't atm lean this way, each hard disk manufacturer offer's their own diagnostic software.

PS - I do have a parting question for this evening btw. When you say you "reinstalled," did you simply format and go or use something like active@killdisk on the drive's (this would also take out any manufacturer's soft including ssm remnant's).

PSS - Would you know if Samsung is using a ddo or, dynamic drive overlay on that disk?
    Let's get a look at the content's of your boot.ini too.

S

22. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I bought my new drive because I wanted more storage capacity. Same type as old one, only bigger and different manufactor.

No manual. No software. I took out the old one, and put in the new myself. No change of jumpers. A friend told me not needed if both were SATA. I installed XP on new drive. Put old drive back in.

This worked for 3-4 months. After messing with different security applications I had problems. But I will not blame these applications.

I bought my computer 2 years ago. I have no reason to believe my hardware is not compatible. Every time I buy something new I go to a Norwegian (my country) forum. I ask questions about new hardware I want to buy. And I can read about other users experience with the product.

I used BING to overwrite C-partition 6 times and restored an image. Did not work.

When I reinstalled XP I used Windows XP cd. I format partition (not quick format).

Me to believe something must be wrong with hdd. (Hardware failure). Maybe caused by running several different security applications at the same time. Some of these hook deep into system. Maybe something at low disc level that will not go away.

Right now I see 2 different solutions:

1. Some kind of low level erase of entire hdd (Samsung 500 GB system drive). And then reinstall XP and BING. Or first try to restore an image to see if it works now.

2. Remove both internal drives. Put back in my 250 GB Seagate and make it my main/system drive. Install XP on this. (And maybe restore one of the images to this drive). And later on erase/format Samsung 500 GB and put in and make it my second internal drive.

I visited Samsung webpage. There was a utility called Hutil. It includes Erasehdd. I downloaded to old laptop. Extract it to floppy diskette. Tried to run it on desktop, but it did not recognise any hdd at all. Is supposed to run from DOS. Only way I know to enter DOS is to start XP, start-run-cmd. Did not work, and computer freeze.

Should I try to download this killdisk? Or boot from Windows CD and format entire drive?

(Sorry if my English is not good):)

And thanks:)

23. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Would you know if Samsung is using a ddo or, dynamic drive overlay on that disk?

Dont know what this means, but I will try to find out.

Let's get a look at the content's of your boot.ini too.

OK. How to do that?

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Start, run, type in msconfig. It will show you all your startup programs, and your boot.ini file.

Also, You can find a copy of your boot.ini file by going to the control panel, system, advanced, settings, startup and recovery, edit.

25. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks Ronjor.

Only problem I think my computer will freeze before I get that far. But I will try.

Oh BTW can I do this from safe mode. My computer does not freeze in safe mode. I try safe mode first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.