Extremly high cpu usage

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by rekun, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rekun

rekun Registered Member

some time ago i tried the first beta. i uninstalled just after because my computer had 100% cpu usage. Now i tried with Beta1a and it seems that the problem had not beed fixet. The problem is coming when i just after having installed i reboot. Then i am trying to scan my computer and then the cpu usage is being 100%. ofcause i stop the scanning but i dosn't help, and my computer is just working all the time right from i turn it on to i shut it down. I cant connect to the internet either. the problem seems to be gone when i uninstall, and my computer is working just fine with NOD 2.7.

I am using this if you need it:
    Dansih OEM Vista Home Premium
    Dell XPS m1710
    2.16 Ghz Intel Dual Core
    512 mb Geforce go 7900GTX
    2 Gig of memory
    160 GB harddrive

2. rekun

rekun Registered Member

if it can help you i can say that the process svchost.exe uses 50-70% and ESS uses 15-25%. svchost normally uses only 0-1%

3. mayt

mayt Eset Staff Account

4. rekun

rekun Registered Member

I'am pretty sure ( but not 100% ) that i DO NOT have an infection. I have scanned with NOD32, Kaspersky, Superantispyware and Spy Sweeper, and i have postet a Hijackthis log on www.spywarefri.dk and they say my computer is clean. My system is fully updated so it cant be that either.

and as postet before, it seems that the problem seems gone when i uninstall ESS and install NOD32 2.7. From that ( i think ) that we can say it is ESS which has somekind of bug, and it should be fixet

5. deputy963

deputy963 Registered Member

Neither NOD32 or ESS use the svchost.exe process for any purpose that I'm aware of. svchost.exe is best described as a shell process. It's actually a windows dll file being run as a process. Most (any) good programmer writing software would use their own processes and process names.

The most recent and common cause of svchost.exe issues is Microsoft Update.

MS has issued 3 or 4 patches to try to correct this. The last was a 2 part patch and I believe the second part was to come today or next patch tuesday.

The easiest way to correct (until MS comes up with a definite fix) is to revert back to Windows Update.

6. rekun

rekun Registered Member

but why is there only a problem when ESS i installed and NOT when NOD32 2.7 is?

7. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi rekun
    Do you have Java 1.6 installed?
    If you do, then when Java launches the file "erkn.exe" takes up 99% CPU. You can check it in Task Manager, Process to pinpoint which file is taking up CPU time.
    In my case it was "erkn", but only when Java is activated.
    I have already told ESET about it, so maybe they are working on it.
    I hope that helps.
    Cheers :)

8. rekun

rekun Registered Member

erkn.exe uses too much cpu but only 10-20%, but svchost is using 50-70%. And java is deaktivated at startup so i dont think its that, but thx for trying

9. Meister

Meister Registered Member

Are you in the 'Advanced Mode' GUI? I've noticed there is a little increase in CPU usage; although not 100% more like 5% :p.

If you do, perhaps it's worth a try. You never know :)

10. rekun

rekun Registered Member

i cant open the gui without it totally freezes. the only way to get rid of ESS is to boot into safemode and then use system restore ( rollback ).

can i in any way help getting this bug fixet?

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Sometimes I notice high cpu usage for ekrn.exe when browsing files or extracting archives. Anyone else experience this?

12. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

Hi,

Yes, I sometimes get CPU spikes too when downloading/extracting arhives, but that's probably because the runtime packers/Archives options are active in both real-time protection (ex-AMON) and http protection (ex-IMON), so it extracts/checks all the files in the archive at once. But that remains occasional and doesn't last for more than a few seconds.

13. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

So wheres that setting? I dont want archives scanned in realtime.

14. IcePanther

IcePanther Registered Member

In the advanced configuration, you'll find it in the "real-time protection" item (in the list on the left), the threat sense engine parameters button. Then you can configure the options... Also check the same button in the web/http protection item.

15. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    I respect your observations regarding the CPU useage, however, I humbly beg to differ. :blink: :( ... so no flaming :)

With ESS, whenever I go to a web page that uses the installed JAVA Platform Standard Edition, the file "ekrn.exe" takes up 99% of CPU time for approx. 2 mins. When it returns to normal, then the page loads normally.
    If anyone has the lateset JAVA installed on a XP SP2, then go here.

http://speedtest.cogeco.net/

No, you do not need to run any speed tests, just loading that URL will put "ekrn.exe" in ballistic mode (my words) and shows it in Task Manager as using the 99% of CPU for the 2 min. period.

With NOD 2.7.X on either my laptop (xp, SP2) OR another PC with VISTA, this anomally does not happen :)

I am no guru with ESS, and my settings are set to a somewhat high level, however, it does not (should not) mitigate the high CPU useage of the above mentioned file.

Thanks
    Cheers :)

16. Alf_

Alf_ Registered Member

If this is happening with the latest Java v. 1.6.0_1, try going back to v. 1.5.0_11. There are a lot of problems reported with that version.
    If necessary, you'll find an archive here: http://java.sun.com/products/archive/
    Please report back.

17. rekun

rekun Registered Member

It does not seems like i can help getting this solved?

18. noduser61

noduser61 Registered Member

Just thought I would say I am seeing the high CPU usage at times on one core only (athlon x2) - the other core seems to be locked out from any disk drive so is largely idle.

19. OAKside

OAKside Registered Member

Re: 100% CPU usage

I just uninstalled ESS Beta 1a because I noticed when playing Test Drive Unlimited (and monitoring with Lavalys Everest) my CPU - both cores - would stay at 97-100% the entire time. After research, that should not happen on my CPU. I also have a very clean, defragged, optimized XP install (~20 services running). Since 1a was expiring, I uninstalled and checked NOD32.

After installing NOD32 again, my CPU usage is correct (55-65%). What a relief! I now wonder what other things were going on with ESS when I wasn't monitoring it.

Specs:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    BFG GeForce 7900 GT
    Corsair TWINX DDR400 2GB

20. OAKside

OAKside Registered Member

It turns out that ESS' firewall blocking TDU was the cause for my CPU maxing out during gameplay. When allowed through the firewall my CPU usage returned to normal. I still consider this a slight problem as ESS shouldn't need 45% of both my cores to block an app from the net.

21. marmot

marmot Registered Member

Yes I have the same problem high CPU usage and also it pops out 'windows socket error 10055'

The problem particularly prompt when using bitcomet.

In general this software is good, better interface, comprehensive but i have no choice to uninstall it. :isay:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.