Norton AntiVirus 2008

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ink, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ink

ink Registered Member

HI, the artical is about symantec end protection, it is to substitute SAV, SCS, nothing about the home product. You will not see sygate for they interested in the access control.

2. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

Yes it is, but he mentions also that NIS 2007 will be the last of its kind. I asked about it if you read the comments below the text. He says he got to know that from a Symantec official on one of their recent conferences. So I don't know, maybe it is more long term strategy. Why would there be a beta for NIS 2008 otherwise?

About the firewall .. I know there is no configuration possibiliy. But is the technology based on Sygate?

3. Valentin_Pletzer

Valentin_Pletzer Registered Member

Hi,

I am the one who posted the blog-entry. I was told, that SEP 11.0 is the first Symantec-product to use the Sygate technology. I don't know about the ominous NIS 2008 beta.

I also sent an email to another Symantec official to get a confirmation wether or not there will be a NIS 2008. The guy I asked previously is Andreas Zeitler, Vice President und Regional Manager Central Region.

Greetings,
    Valentin

4. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Hi Valentin,
    I am a beta tester of NIS 2008, so there will be NIS 2008:) . Maybe there won't be German versiono_O .

5. Valentin_Pletzer

Valentin_Pletzer Registered Member

Hi.

I asked a second official at Symantec and she told me that the first source was mistaken. Sorry for all that fuzz.

Greetings,
    Valentin

PS: I was promised another call with the info wether or not the Sygate technology is used with NIS 2008 or maybe even in 2007.

6. Abeltje

Thanks for the research! And the Sygate question will be very interesting one to get to know!

7. ink

ink Registered Member

Sygate technology will not used in home product, they buy sygate not for its firewall but for access control and customer.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What happened to the pics on the first page of this threado_O

9. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

If you are referring to C.S.J's pictures check your browser because all of the pictures are still on the first page.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Posts number 18 and 26 are blank for me in Fx and also in SeaMonkey. Do you have to use IE to see them?

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It's fine in FX.

I assume that it's your Proxo. Remote image tags are used in those posts, not locally stored image files.

Blue

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks. It's not Proxo though. It is the browsers. Both are set to accept images from the originating site only unless I specify an exception (such as i.dslr.net). I couldn't see anything there (I looked at the page properties) to tell me that the images were off site so I would know to allow them.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Very nice screen shots. I'm impressed that you can use Norton to create Identity cards. I couldn't get the Microsoft software for Identity cards for XP to work...but I haven't tried in awhile.

I don't care much for the black background with white text though. I always avoid websites that are reversed like that as it is hard to read.

14. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Norton has "Vista-ized" the new interface so it looks pretty good in Vista. It makes my '07 look dated, lol. I am really looking forward to '08.

I am glad to know that there will be a NIS '08. For a while there I was wondering if they were going to replace it with the 360.

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

im glad you all liked the pictures,

now i can tell you, that i photoshopped them :)

*lol*

-----------
    it definatly needs tweaking in my opinion, i still prefer the 2007 GUI.
    i feel the lack of yellow disconcerning, i know some people didnt like yellow, but i feel norton need this to keep its identity.

mcafee tried to lose their RED, it didnt work.
    bitdefenders new beta has lost their RED and its not working.
    drweb seem to have lost their green, i hope v5 gui brings a bit back.

16. confused0625

confused0625 Registered Member

I hope it's not a resource hog like the other Nortons.o_O

17. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Norton 2007 products are generally not considered resource hogs. I have NIS 2007 installed on my computer, and it runs very well.

18. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

ET7 is now available for testing. Along with a "new" beta, that coincides NIS 2008. ;)

19. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

I like the new Beta.. fixes a few issues I had with automatic form filling. Also fixes some crashes I was seeing when closing IE. So looks good, running smooth. LOOVEE the new Network Map feature, although I could think of a ton of new features it could use. Still not seeing new antivirus definitions although I was told that Symantec has not yet started posting definitions for the new version.

20. controler

controler Guest

The Beta download page is down today.

No word yet on the trial expired bug.

This time I installed it , I left computer on to see what would happen and do not get the trial expired. the program just stops loading all together.

21. controler

controler Guest

Not able to download the Norton removal tool as well :-(

22. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Major Geeks has the file for download that I believe is the current version.

SymNRT

23. Richdog

Richdog Registered Member

24. Abeltje

I dont agree with this post there. It does not say much about impact on system. Just that it takes more disk space and adds more entries .. so what? Anyway, it's a suit, it does much more than Nod32, it is not unusual that it needs more disk space and entries and so on. About start up time, again, it is a suit. And sorry, P3 is outdated, on a more recent system the difference will melt away. Memory usage by NIS is low, so is CPU usage. I'm not sure what its effect is on disk input / output. I read that NIS is not doing well in this area. When doing tests on my own system I could not find a difference between NIS, NOD32 and Avira, but then again, I have fairly new computer.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

There isnt a difference except its great cleaning and detection ability.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.