Prohibit resurrecting very old threads

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by Mele20, May 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I think this site needs a policy that prohibits resurrecting very old threads to then include a more or less worthless post considering how old the thread is. When looking at the forums one cannot tell that a thread that one has not read the latest posting in is an ancient thread until it is clicked on. It is a waste of time almost every time a really old thread is resurrected.

If there are reasons to want to post about the same subject, I think after three months that one should be required to start a new thread.

I've endured the yucky experience of clicking on "new" posts in a very old, resurrected thread here many times. What prompted me to post this was my seeing what I thought was a new thread, clicking on it...to find that MORE THAN EIGHT MONTHS PASSED before the latest two posts: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=134703&page=4

My home site has, for a long time, banned resurrecting threads after a certain time period and I think Wilders would benefit from a similar policy. It doesn't have be after three months but I really don't think resurrecting a thread after 8 months is useful. A new thread should be started I feel (even if the thread in question is a poll as is the example I gave).

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I think u r right.

3. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Sounds good to me too. And if anything from the original thread happens to be worth referring to in the new one, you can always copy-and-paste into a quote.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

There already are restrictions on bumping old threads. The only exception is the Polls forum section itself. We specifically allow Polls to be replied to longer then any other sub-forum threads because it can take quite a long time for the votes to come in based on the volume of activity in that section. Starting new polls too frequently would dillute their effectiveness. Even your own "home forum" has annual polls opened all year...

dslr-security-links.png

In any case, we're going to continue to allow polls to be replied to as they have been. All other sections have reasonable bump limiting in place already.

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks. What prompted this was the poll thread. But I was mistaken in that I thought other forums allowed long limits for bumping. Seemed like I recalled reading threads that were not polls that were really old and then someone replied...maybe I am thinking of another site. I don't think my "home" site should leave polls open a long time like they do but you are right they do that. So, if it is only the polls here...then I'm ok with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.