cannot use VSS option, error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by kidtriton, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kidtriton

kidtriton Registered Member

I am using TI enterprise 9.1 and have several 2003 servers that I need to use the VSS feature on and it has not been successful on any. One is a 2003 server with exchange 2003, and three other that had the same error are 2003 servers with MS SQL. I set up a job with the VSS feature and I always get this in the log:

Cannot create the image of the logical drive C: because it is currently in use by running applications or the logical drive contains bad sectors.: None

It does this on all the servers ive tried to use VSS on, and modifying the job to not use VSS makes it complete successfully, but I know I may be getting bad images due to the exchange and SQL transactions.

I called Acronis Support and the only solution I was offered was to try to use pre and post commands instead of the VSS feature! One of the reasons I bought 12 copies of TI Ent. was for the VSS feature:mad:

What's the deal here?

(also, i have 2 win2k servers running SQL, can anyone show me what I need as far as the pre and post commands for these? Like exactly which services to stop and start?)

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kidtriton,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Could you please let us know your Acronis request # (e.g. [Acronis #123456])? So we could figure out why this suggestion was made. If you have not received an autoreply then please send us a Private Message containing your e-mail address.

In addition, please do the following (if you have not done it already when you contacted Acronis Support Team) to collect the information that would help us to investigate the issue?

Download the latest version of Acronis drivers, unpack the archive, install unpacked MSI package and see if the problem persists.

If the issue persists, please do the following:

- Replace C:\WINDOWS\system32\snapapi.dll with the one from the downloaded SnapAPI archive;

- Reproduce the issue and collect the log file;

- Get the log file without closing any application windows (including the error message windows if there are any). The log file will be created at C:\ . The name of the log file will be snapapi [date-time].log

Then submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. kidtriton

My case# was 995452 and it got replied to with one of the 3 problems i called about. My call requested help with 3 things:

1) Unable to use VSS feature
    2) Not sure how to change the credentials for group server (the ones you provide when installing group server) without removing and re-installing.
    3) One of my deleted group tasks deleted the task off the remote machine, but still shows up as a pending delete in group server under group tasks.

The only thing my case reply helped me with was the last item. I was sent a link to download schedmrg.exe from the acronis site, and insrtuctions on running it. I havent tried it yet to see if it purges that 'lost' task.

I still need to know how to change the implied credentials for group server without having to re-install the product, and i still need to get VSS working.

I don't know if this will complicate things, but I am running an unreleased build that support provided me on case# 977636 due to the number of users in my active dir. environment.

Also, I have another unresolved case, # 988888 from last Friday about recreating a backup server environment to recognize the BACKUP.FDB and GUID files from a destroyed backup server.

To say the least, after spending close to $12,000 USD on this product to use on 12 of my production servers, I am quite disappointed about all the roadblocks i have run into that seem like limitations of the software that are either not advertised, or mis-represented in the documentation. On top of that, support has been disappointing too. I really wish I could talk to some of the engineers or developers of the product instead of support folk who are just trained on how to use the product. I have already figured out one of the issues that support could not help me with, by cloning and recreating a backup server with a duplicate machine SID, while support told me it worked a different way.

Where do I install that snap MSI? Do I have to manually install it on each of my 12 servers? or do I install it on my management/group/backup server and push it out, etc?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2007
  4. kidtriton

bump for Acronis Support.

5. forker

forker Registered Member

Hey, dude...They need the logs... Huh?

6. kidtriton

They never answered my question on how to push it out with the management console.

7. pcottrill

pcottrill Registered Member

Kidtriton,
    I feel your pain!!! I'm at least glad to see that I am not the only one experiencing problems with this product and their support. I find them to be lacking in product knowledge, or perhaps its just a language barrier. They keep referring me to the documentation, but their documentation is very lacking; definitely not geared towards helping administrators with the nuts & bolts of the software. Their support techs might be just fine for the home user, but not for the professional IT person.

We, too, purchased the sw because of the VSS feature, so we could use it to backup our exchange 2003 server. At this point, I have not used it to do exchange backups cuz I'm not quite sure how its going to work. I've asked for help, but quite frankly, their replies have been somewhat confusing. On one hand they say I should just be able to enable the VSS support and it will take care of everything, then the next paragraph will suggest that I run before & after commands to "suspend" the application. Can you please tell me how you're doing it? Also, I am assuming you are on the 3877 build.
    -Patty

8. kidtriton

I have been given what is either a custom or unreleased build for a different issue that i had with the number of active directory users and backup server. It is build 3889. I installed those snapAPI drivers from further up in this post on all my 2k3 servers and have been using the VSS option on my exchange and SQL servers. I get an error about one in 5 times the nightly image job runs on each server. I am working with support still on this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.