Avira vs Avast!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Ramzes, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramzes

Ramzes Registered Member

Hello.

Can you guys tell me some info about Avast! and Antivir. I want know which have better:
    -detection rate
    -better heuteristic
    -definition number of viruses, worms, backdoors etc (now Avira have 745.000, what about Avast?)

I don't need things like adware scaner or http scaner (i'm using safe browser - not IE :D , and Spybot S&D for adware). All what i need is good software against viruses, trojans, worms and keyloggers. I know also after last update to Antivir has beed added rootkit scanner and e-mail protection. Thanks for helping me:) .

P.S. Sorry for my poor English, don't flame me please... :blink: .

2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

Get's blowtorch:D j/k

Both are good, but from the sound of it Antivir might be your choice, it is top notch and you can't go wrong, enjoy!:D

3. polak

polak Registered Member

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Avira, because of mainly one reason: virus submission system, where AVIRA is very prompt and responsive while Avast leaves a lot to be desired, just like...ehh I should keep my mouth shut. :D

5. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

It's all subjective, and each camp has a lot of faithful members. Just take a look at the front page of this forum: Avira vs. <insert competitor here> :ninja:

Now that that's out of the way, I prefer Avira for several reasons. It has a better GUI, solid support, on-demand scanning is exceptional, and the heuristics are top notch. Couple those opinions with the AV-Comparitive URL that polak posted and it's obvious that the red umbrella is the way to go. ;)

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

They are improving this a lot...

7. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

AntiVir's latest update fiasco proves once again it has the worst system of the AV's, Avast has one of the best updaters.

IMO Avast has better support.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Assuming both run well on your system I would choose Avira. However, an AV that is troublesome is not worth the bother. So try both, and if Avira runs well it has the better detection rate, but if not Avast is a very good AV.

Regards,
    Jerry

9. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

They are both good antiviruses.
    Avasts update that is every 4 hours always jarred my computer for a few seconds and it was noticeable. AntiVir does not do that with the update, but Avast has a very strong point in that the update always works well.
    If you use free Avira Classic, be prepared that sometimes the update servers are not found, times like these when serving for a new program download.

So they are both good, AntiVir's detection is on tops , but avast! is not too bad behind and the update of Avast is better for free versions users, especially if they are using a phone modem connection,

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Avira has better detection and better heuristics.
    Avast has a much better update system.

Use what you prefer after comparing both.

11. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Since you are only considering detection rates, you shoudl go for Avira.

12. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Although I now use Antivir I have also used Avast in the past and simply changed because I got bored. I would try both and pick the one you like based on gut feeling. Neither have ever found a virus for me but then I don't go looking for trouble.

13. Ramzes

Ramzes Registered Member

Thanks for your posts. You are right, both programs are good, but i still with Avira :).

14. Tarq57

Tarq57 Registered Member

I've used both, they're both good, I prefer Avast. Very configurable. Trouble free.
    One big advantage Avast has is the ability to perform a boot scan, before windows (and any malware) drivers and dll's have been loaded. Which gives it an edge in removing certain things. (Don't ask me exactly what; I'm not that expert.)
    Slightly off thread, I see you're using Spybot. It has it's uses, but I think something like Superantispyware (free version available) or SpywareTerminator (free resident antispy) would give you better protection and removal capabilities.
    Others to consider there are Asquared, and AVG antispy. All those are likely to be better for trojans than most antivirus programs.

15. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Actually, most antiviruses have far better trojan detection than the above apps you have mentioned.

16. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

First read this and judge yourself:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/

It is a very credible website about antivirus comparatives site. It is unmatchable. Worth reading!
    It is hard to find another site which is independent, unbaised, and provide long-hours of test work for free.

In short, Antivir can even defeat kaspersky in both On-demand and Retrospective/ProActive Test (so-called heuteristic test to you). It is top-notch.
    Avast! is about the medium among the software list in av-comparatives.

Up till February 2007:
    Antivir: 662,365
    Avast: unknown or not disclosed

After all, if you think the number of definition files or signatures is proportional to its antivirus capabilities, it is a misconception. There is a weak link between both. Let me give you one example. It is just an example. A company writes a generic signature which can detect a number of viruses (eg 50). That counts as 1 signature only. Another company writes 5 specific signatures to detect 5 viruses respectively.

As you see in the example, we don't need to create a signature to detect 1 malware. What's more, there are also behavorial analysis and heuristics detections. You can't rely on the number of signatures to determine the detection rates of one antivirus.

Let me give you one real example this time. Kaspersky had 264,410 number of virus records in Aug 2006; while BitDefender had 458,019. However Kaspersky detected more malware samples than Bitdefender (~3% difference).

Your English is bette than mine, so don't be worried. ;)

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Yes, I know, but still they have some work to do in this regard. When they are good in this regard, I'll have no problem recommending Avast, and may even go ahead and buy the Pro version just to support the company. :)

Also Avast! has no heuristics currently (but their generic signatures are good), I hope this is resolved/improved in future.

BTW, Does anyone know anything about Avast 5.0? o_O

18. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

Antivir have better detection, better heuristic and apdates of Antivir premium security are much better then Avast!(Avast! updates once per day, while Antivir apdates several times per day.)

Avast! have more options and better can remove virus, also Avast! have skinable, better GUI than Antivir.

Antivir is much faster, but have more bugs.

Antivir is better in rootkits

Here it is what i noticed using both products...

19. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

According to vlk, they need first to improve their sample submission systems. See these posts made by him :)
    Good point :) For example, Symantec has around 73,000 signatures and it detects far more malware than ClamAV which has more than 105,000 signatures.

20. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Do both of these AV programs protect your e-mail inbox, ( Outlook Express.)
    Badcompany.

21. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

Avast does, so does the paid version of Antivir, but the free version does not. However, Microsoft don't recommend using an email scanner with outlook express as corruption can occur.
    See here.

Personally, I've never used an email scanner and don't see the need to use one, a background file scanner is sufficient.

22. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Hi Londonbeat,
    Thanks for your reply,What I don't understand is why do AV companies like Kaspersky and my own Drweb protect my e-mail inbox if it s not necessary,Drweb as saved me many a time from nastys in my e-mail.
    Badcompany.

23. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Perhaps because it sounds like a sensible idea and it sells product. From a marketing point of view the more features the better. Marketing people will add all sorts of unnecessary crap to sell their product.

Personally I prefer to have all my mail collected and cleaned before delivery. If something ever did slip thru I would hope that Antivir would stop it doing any damage. To be fair though I have never actually seen a virus so I might be wrong.

24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive always loved email scanning, as long as it doesnt slow down the recieving of emails (kaspersky does slow down, but my drweb doesnt... this is not a jibe, just true)

ive always recieved more nastys through email than general surfing and downloading.

my email, although it does have an ISP spam blocker, alot still gets though which my drweb stops.

i can easily get 300 spam emails per week here, its actually quite bad, my brother hardly gets any, and id say about 40 a week make it through to my windows email, which drweb identifys as spam and does what its told :)
    for the past month, i get alot of phising emails.

not sure if my ISP scans for viruses on incoming email, but definatly some have tried to get through, which again my drweb has stopped with its spidermail.

25. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

@Badcompany

I agree with Long View re the marketing aspect, I imagine an AV company initially developed an email scanner as an extra feature/gimmik, then for fear of being "left behind" other AV's copied in developing their own. You can understand why as even in this forum some users trash another AV simply because it doesn't have an email scanner, when in reality they are not necessary if you have a background file scanner.
    In the case of Dr Web, there is probably nothing Spidermail deals with that Spiderguard would not handle if Spidermail was disabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.