cFosSpeed - WOW!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by OliverK, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverK

OliverK Registered Member

I'm running three computers through my broadband router at home and have been running cFosSpeed on one of them in the past. It's done a great job of allowing that computer to run downloads and uploads at full speed at the same time.
    But now the cFos people have just released their new multi-user version which shapes the available bandwidth so that each computer hanging off the same router can run at max speed.
    Having now tried it, all I can say is WOW!! I'm on a 256/512 connection and running a download full speed on one computer appears to have absolutely no effect on the other two computers running World of Warcraft at the same time - there's no noticeable lag or slowdown on any of the three computers.
    Phenomenal!
    Here's their readme for this new version (which is still a beta version) -
    I'm using the 'Variable bandwidth with cooperation' mode on all three computers.
    You get the beta version (the multi-user version) from the cFos beta area link at the bottom of this page.

See what you think.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007
  2. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello my friend I tried cfosspeed but it didn´t work for me:(

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i cant test the features of this beta, but cfosspeed works great on my standalone computers. neat little utility :thumb:

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Too expensive for a BETA version.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

This is an excellent program!!! :D

6. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

Is this supposed to speed up general surfing, on a stand alone DSL machine?

They talk about the worlds fastest DSL driver, does this replace a windows driver? I did not run any software to setup my DSL, that' why the question about the driver.

If everything goes South with cfosspeed, does a simple un-install restore previous DSL?

Thanks
    Rico

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

cFosSpeed is a traffic shaper. One situation where its helpful is when playing online games (or web surfing) with p2p running in the background.

I dont think it replaces any driver; it installs its own driver into your ethernet connection.

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9670/screenshot00001ea6.png

If you dont like it, just uninstall it and its gone.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hello Mr. Fuser,

Seems like it's great when doing more than one thing at a time. I think I'll pass as my DSL is pretty fast now. I was thinking it might improve the results of a DSL speed test, probably not.

Take Care Amigo
    Rico

9. OliverK

If you just do one thing at a time whilst on the internet and you're the only computer connected to your DSL connection, then you WON'T notice any difference with cFosSpeed. If you just browse, you'll browse no faster. If you just download P2P, you'll download no faster.

The program does NOT turn a 512k connection into a 1MB connection, or a 2mb connection into an 8mb connection.

Where you will notice a difference (or I should say, where MOST people notice a difference) is where your DSL connection is servicing MULTIPLE requests - eg either you're the only one using your modem and you're downloading/uploading via P2P AND trying to browse the net at the same time OR (now with the new multi-user version) you're one of several PC's hanging off one router and each PC is downloading/uploading to/from the net. In this situation (the way my un-technical mind sees it) the data requests are somehow combined in a co-operative way through the router so that the data stream to neither computer (or to either process on the one computer scenario) really slows down. If it does slow down, it's FAR less so than if this co-operative streaming were not occurring.

10. OliverK

Oops - one further clarification.

When I said in my last post that multiple streams run at full speed, what I should have said was multiple UP AND DOWN streams seem to run at full speed.

As I said before, this program won't turn a 512k connection into a 1mb connection (etc), so it won't allow two computers to download at the full normal speed that one computer on its own would do it (which would effectively mean an increase in overall bandwidth), but it does allow one computer to download at full speed while another is either uploading at full speed or running a program which involves a lot of upload/download traffic (such as World of Warcraft). In such a case WoW appears to run at full speed with no perceptible lag, which would not normally be the case if another computer hooked to the same router is sucking up all the bandwidth with a large download or upload.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.