Rollback RX v8

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by starfish_001, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I switched my final rollback rx system over to version 8 earlier this week. As the ability to archive snahot data is important to me - especially given the probelms I've had with RB and KAV i nthe past.

Any way did a quick image - 1 for 1 with paragon drive backup.

Installed version 8 seemed to work ok - except I could not schedule event based tasks within it for some reason - spoke to support - not much help.

Decided to uninstalled - trashed the file system. restored image. reinstalled same schedule problem. Activated - rebooted - activation trashed the files system. Rollback the snapshot.

Rebooted - ok - activated again - fine this time. Still no scheduled tasks.

Not really instant recovery - more like instant disaster software for me so far.

Anyone else had better or worse experince with version 8.

2. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

My experiences with Version 8:

Snapshots are slower to make.

I have not found any imaging software that will restore the Rollback snapshots. I have RAID 0 and the Rollback Snapshot Backup does not support RAID. Paragon, ATI, ShadowProtect, or Ghost would not restore Rollback snapshots from their Recovery Disks. I am using Rollback in combination with FDISR. ATI Recovers to the Installation Snapshot only. FDISR Archive Snapshots on an external drive will bring the system up to date. You do, however, have to reinstall RollbackRx when you do a recovery. It only takes a few minutes.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Did you ever try "Data Backup Rx 2.7" to restore RBRx completely ?
    http://www.horizondatasys.com/213789.ihtml

4. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Shouldn't need this if v8's snapshot archiving (and restoring) worked as it should. But then again, v8 is in it's infancy period so issues are no big surprise. It took quite a wihile for v7 to get to where it was reliable.

Btw Silver - if I create an ATI image (with the latest RB v7 installed) from within Windows, RB captures the current snapshot. If the ATI image is created from within Linux (i.e., using the boot CD), then it captures the baseline (installation) snapshot.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  5. ErikAlbert

Yes you have to be very brave to use RBRx as a Dynamic Complete System & Data Solution.
    That's why I use FDISR (I'm a sissy). ;)

6. pvsurfer

Whatever 'floats your boat'... The latest RBv7 build works perfectly - I find myself using it frequently for instant system restores. ATI has never failed me for disaster recovery, so together they are a good combo (for me)!

Perhaps someday RBv8 will mature to where it can do the entire job reliably.

7. ErikAlbert

Since you are an ATI-user, does ATI recover ALL your RBRx7-snapshots or only the baseline snapshot ?

8. pvsurfer

It all depends on how you use ATI... As I explained to Silver, I am quite satisfied having it just capture my current snapshot, which it does fast and reliably.

9. osip

osip Registered Member

I gather that you then restore from the boot cd...And also have to make a ´fixmbr´to get into win...And after that in current with a need for RBrx reinstall, right?

10. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Where can I get the latest version 7 pro version installer of Rollback RX. I have license but I uninstalled it a while back and don't know if I have th ecurrent v7 version. Will stay away from v8 untilbugs are worked out. Thanks for your help.

Gary

11. ErikAlbert

12. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks muc and does anyone know if I can use ShadowProtect with this so that when I resotre the image with MBR that all snapshots at point of image was taken will be intact? I know someone said none worked with version 8 but what about with 7 and thanks.

Gary

13. pvsurfer

It doesn't matter if you use ATI boot disk to restore or not because even if you initiate the restore from within Windows ATI will reboot into Linux to do the restore.

A fixmbr is necessary in order to restore a backup image that was created with RB installed; followed by reinstalling RB. For those reasons, I now find it 'cleaner' to uninstall RB to my current snapshot before starting the backup process; then I defrag my C-drive (I happen to use UD); then I create the image; and finally reinstall RB. This method precludes having to do a fixmbr if and when I have to do an ATI restore and also gives me the opportunity to do a clean defrag before RB creates its new baseline snapshot. This process probably sounds a lot more cumbersome than it really is. ;)

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi PV

Thats exactly what I was doing when I ran Rollback. Honestly I found a lot more cumbersome that it sounds. First thing is you have to be darn careful when uninstalling to make sure you install in the right snapshot. THen do the imaging, and then reinstall, and reactivate. I just didn't find Rollback to be worth that much hassle. I want to be able to image my disk exactly as it is now, and restore it exactly as it was. When I was testing the hardware independent restore of Shadowprotect, I shrunk partitions, restored an image from my laptop which had FDISR and a snapshot installed, onto my desktop, amazingly fdisr restored thru it all, and even worked. Then I restored the original image which of course had FDISR and a snapshot, and everything was back like I started. Pretty robust and thats what I want. I don't think Rollback would have survived that. We could debate I suppose how necessary it is.

Pete

15. ErikAlbert

I can't help you with that. I never used RBRx. One thing I noticed, it seems to be very hard to find an Image Backup software that restores ALL snapshots of RBRx.
    Although some users accept that only the baseline or current snapshot and not the other snapshots are restored, this is unacceptable for me and against my basic principles regarding Image Backup.
    Once I've read a post that EazFix (clone of RBRx) and ATI work together.

My advice : test the combination RBRx and any Image Backup software YOURSELF, instead of depending on what is told at Wilders. That is the only way to find the real truth.

16. osip

osip Registered Member

Repeating myself...as said in earlier posts...Paragon drive backup successfully works with all RBrx snapshots provided that you tick "raw image" and include win aux.files in the image...

17. ErikAlbert

What is a raw image ?

18. osip

osip Registered Member

1 to 1 sector...In the newest Paragon drive backup (8.5) it´s in the options as ´raw´...

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

To answer hunt's question, I suspect not. Osip, that is such a none solution. The biggest advantage Rollback has over FDISR is time, and disk space. So to use it and gain this advantage, plus be able to image I use paragon drive backup. Now I have to image all 640 gig of the drive instead of the 20gig in use. Never mind time, where in the devil do I put that image, and be able to keep a couple of versions. I would have to partition my drive down to something almost unusable for that to work.

20. starfish_001

That has generally been my experience in testing

but this week when I actually needed to restore I only got the current snapshot. Not a that it cuased a problem but ..... it is not 100% for me

21. starfish_001

Slower with bigger images but on the only one of my systems that uses rb I have MCE installed on it own partition. Used to be dual boot so FD won't work on this system as the sys partition is E. As I use it as a media server I have never got round to reinstalling everything - as single boot

Peter I know you don't partition but for those of us that do it is acceptable just not perfect.

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I have always partitioned provided the drive was of an acceptable capacity to offer enough room to grow over time, that is long time not short. ;)

If i had my way, and 95% of the time i do if i ever stop long enough to do these things, i would cram as many hard drives (within reason of course) into a single tower as a single unit and proceed to divide up the file systems to at least 4 per drive. It's just a personal preferred approach that suits my needs and saves on PHYSICAL space and not just VIRTUAL, thats all.

23. pvsurfer

Nothing to debate Pete... You found it a hassle, I don't... Although (as you may recall) I once discontinued use of RB while HDS was ironing out the bugs, I now use it with a high-level of confidence.

I don't disagree that FDISR is a very good product, I just happen to prefer the speed of creating RB-snapshots and their lesser storage requirements (as compared to FDISR)... But as I mentioned to Erik, whatever 'floats your boat'. ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  24. pvsurfer

Just to set the record straight, ATI can do this as well, but (as I suspect is also true with Paragon) it takes a lot longer and a lot more storage to create the image when using this option!

In normal use, these imaging products just 'see' and image Windows-recognized partitions (sectors) and not proprietary partitions (sectors) such as that used by RB. ATI, Paragon, and possibly other imaging products can be 'instructed' to image the entire drive where they will do a 'brute-force' image of every sector on the drive, regardless of use... Since I'm only using about 20% of my drive's capacity, if I were to do that, ATI would take at least 5 times as long to create such an image and much more than 5 times the space to store it. Therefore I choose not to do that, but it can be done...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  25. ErikAlbert

Thanks. I got the picture. Not really THE solution. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.