Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0.2.614 review

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dah145, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

Matousec´s KIS review:

More: here

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  2. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Pretty much confirms what I was saying here (btw, this thread belongs in the same Other Security Issues forum).

3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

This "other firewalls forum" is the correct forum: Matousec has only installed/tested the firewall part of KIS;)

Regards,

Smokey

4. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Matousec did not only test the Firewall although it was the important part of the test.
    It is a pretty good test. The problem is that he shows the world several bugs, but is not giving enough information. You will only get this when you pay a lot of money.

5. The One

The One Frequent Poster

But just for the record.
    kaspersky is doing really well for a suite in this test

6. ankupan

ankupan Registered Member

Hi,

Is KIS supporting firefox also ?
    Is firewall is better than LnS ?

KIS License is for two PC ?

7. The One

The One Frequent Poster

Hi Ankupan

Yes, KIS is supporting Firefox

If KIS is better than LnS depends on how you configure. It can be.

No it's one license per computer

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frankly, that colors the whole thing in my mind. Supposedly these were bright college kids out to make the internet safer. I would take everything they say with a large grain of salt.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder why they have discontinued standalone FW. Any ideas?

10. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

probably marketing decision. it just didn't sell good enough. still is miles behind the firewall of kis.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It will be an interesting idea if they launch their firewall plus PDM as a standalone product just like ZAP!

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

The PDM etc was intergrated into the AV. The firewall is an addon.

13. plantextract

because of the prague architecture any module can work independent (firewall independent from pdm, pdm independent from file anti-virus etc.). so it wouldn't be that hard to make that.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Right. Anyway it might be a good product and they have the capability to integrate these two.

15. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

They have integrated PDM + KAH (alongside KAV, Web-AV, Mail-AV)... KIS
    Would be an idea for Kaspersky to sell only integration of PDM + KIS though... good idea!.. upto sales team... may want to force user to buy KAV as well to deter them from using other AVs so they think like "I'm already getting KAV with KIS, no point getting another AV"

Edit: Typo as pointed out by plantextract, 10x!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  16. plantextract

the PDM is included in kav.

17. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Lol, sorry, typo... should say KIS.. will change now ;)

18. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

Having the Firewall+PDM (as stand alone) would be a good idea, but how many would want to have to pay each year to keep the firewall functional. When the AH was available, this was only on license for 1 year (or whatever time period was being sold) after this time the firewall would not work.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In that case, linence must be one time purchase only plus 1 year free version upgrades.
    There is no point in buying a firewall for 1 year. Such a licence applies to signature based software only.

20. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

This is quite an impressive looking suite, from what I've seen so far. I've decided to test drive it for a few days on a fresh image.

21. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

After using this suite for 1 1/2 days, I would highly recommend anyone looking for a security suite to take a close look at KIS. I trialed it with the Anti-spam and the Proactive Defense module's Application Integrity control and Registry Guard disabled, because I use SSM HIPS, though I did have the latter two options enabled for a while just to see if they could be compatible with SSM, and there were no problems whatsoever.

Without elaborating, the suite thoroughly impresses me. Some may be detered by the price, but consider what you get for an annual fee of USD $69.95: Antivirus, Firewall, HIPS-like Proactive defense module, and Anti-spam. Two and three year licenses are available for $99.95 and $139.95 respectively, making for a better deal. It offers detailed control with the different security options, even allowing any of them to be disabled.

Working set size for memory has never exceeded 18 MB and there was no noticeable strain on the cpu cycles. The antivirus allows scanning of new and changed files only, giving impressively swift scan speeds. I could go on, but it's better for those interested to see it for themselves. I can't compare this to other suites, but I would be surprised if there is anything out there that compares closely to this. However, I'm looking forward to trying out ESET's suite once it's available to the public this April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.