NOD32 2.7 and Vista - Anti Stealth Technology

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Kielty, Feb 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

I have v 2.7 installed on my vista 32 bit machine and noticed that when scanning files it states that the anti stealth technology is operating in limited mode and requires admin priveleges. I do have admin privileges why is this?

Attached Files:

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you have User Account Control enabled, you'll need to escalate rights when running the on-demand scanner unless you are logged in as a domain administrator.

3. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Sorry, i don't understand. I have user accounts enabled and my account is showing as administrator. Do i need to do something else?

4. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does turning off User Account Control make a difference?

6. Marco_CH

Marco_CH Registered Member

this error has been discussed already on this board and there is still no solution to that? i got the same problem. running on admin account too.

7. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Yes, disabling UAC solves the issue. Will there be a fix for this?

8. Badgerman

Badgerman Registered Member

I only get this error when I run NOD32 from the context menu. If I do a regular scan I don't get the error.

9. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I dont think the UAC has anything to do with it and I am using this PC as an administrator.
    I've had the UAC turned off since I started using Vista and just to be sure I went and turned it back on, rebooted my computer and ran a scan with NOD32, no message about not having administrator privileges.
    The only program effected on my PC with the UAC turned on is BOClean, it won't update, the computer cant find the updater file.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Mine works fine with Admin rights.

11. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

very strange, with UAC enabled and scanning selected files via the context menu the error message appears and disappears with UAC disabled.

This occurs ONLY when scanning from the context menu not on a scheduled scan or running an in depth analysis.

12. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

mine 2, scanning selected files via the context menu i got the error, but if i run a regular scan like deep scan no problem and no MBR Error also

i think the problem is nod and have nothing to do wiht UAC, Cause if the problem is UAC then i will wet the error on any tipe of scan

13. marty56

marty56 Registered Member

Same problem.. Using Vista 32bit Business. Only 1 login account which has admin privledges

I dont think disable UAC is a good idea.

There other other programs that have the same type of problem.

This should not be this hard.

I have tried so many AV progarms and NOD32 was this close to being THE program for Vista.

Still its on my short list.

Thank God for trial software and Acronis disk image software

Also you guys need to lose the image verification step in registration. Old guys like me cant read some of those characters.

14. jmc777

jmc777 Registered Member

Any news on this?

15. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Although you may be logged in as an administrator, not all programs you execute are going to run with the same rights--as part of Microsoft's least privilege model, applications under Microsoft Windows Vista which are launched from the desktop (a/k/a Windows Explorer, filename: EXPLORER.EXE) run with a lower-privilege token. See Windows Vista User Account Control Step by Step Guide on Microsoft's web site for more information about how this works.

If you right-click on the ESET NOD32 On-Demand Scan icon and select "Run as Administrator" from the context menu, you should now be able to elevate the privilege of the NOD32 on-demand scanner and perform a scan of your disk volumes.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

16. gamersmile

gamersmile Registered Member

Altough I'm using an XP-SP2 based PC in the company, due to token restrictions set by the MIS manager, I used to see the same prompt msg before.

Yes, I think select "run as administrator" in the context menu would solve the problem.

Cheers :)

17. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

where is the nod32 NOD32 On-Demand Scan icon i cant fiend it

thanks

18. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

Not sure what you mean, where is the On Demand Scan Icon?

Can you give me an 'idiots guide' to how this is done?

19. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Do you have an icon on your desktop named NOD32? If so, what happens if you hold down the Shift key and then right-click on it?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

20. Kielty

Kielty Registered Member

No icon on the desktop but i can create one..

21. sam101200

sam101200 Registered Member

YES, disabling UAC will allow the context menu item to work. And NO, there is NO "ESET NOD32 On-Demand Scan icon" for you to right click and run as administrator. I wish people would just go try it out themselves first before making wild guesses just to prove how knowledgeable they are. Don't post if you don't know what you are talking about and mislead people. This is a bug in Nod32 under Vista with no fix yet, simple as that.

22. pain4gain

pain4gain Registered Member

That's a little childish. Why chastise someone who is trying to help? Anyways, I believe he was referring to this.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w121/nod32usa/nodicon-1.jpg?t=1171769675

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  23. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Ladies and Gentlemen back to the topic at hand please, let's leave the personal banter out of this.

Blackspear.

24. NadaWTB

NadaWTB Registered Member

You may be misunderstanding us, we are not talking about scanning the disks, we are talking about when you want to scan a single file using the right click on the file and starting the scan via the context menu. I have tried giving the desktop icon admin rights thru properties and compatability and check the box that says "run as administrtor, but when I try to run NOD32 I get and error "can not execute nod32.exe, I get the same error if I do that with the nod32.exe file in the Eset install folder.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  25. NadaWTB

NadaWTB Registered Member

Ok, I disabled the UAC and the error goes away, however disabling a major security feature in Vista to accomplish this is unwise IMHO. If we have to disable the security features in Vista to run programs, then all we end up with is an expensive version of XP with more eye candy. I hope NOD32 can find a better solution than this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.