Ultrium 2 tape catalogue EXTREMLY slow

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by skydreamer, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skydreamer

skydreamer Registered Member

I am evaluating ATI Workstation 9.1 and managed to create a 6 partition backup of 190GBytes in size on Quantum Ultrium LTO 2 tape in 150 minutes.
    However when I test tried to restore one folder from the archive using the wizard by selecting individual files and folders the tape started to catalogue its content but the process turned into a sequential read of all data on the tape. I had no patience to wait for 2.5 hours and cancelled the operation after 30 minutes.

Is this an issue with the particular drive compatibility or does this affect all tape users?

Thanks,

SD

2. skydreamer

skydreamer Registered Member

Sorry for repeating the same question over again, does anybody have the same experience with lengthy restore of individual files from a sequential device i.e. tape?
    I would have no choice but go for Novabackup if this is something common.

Thanks,

SD

3. jeremyotten

jeremyotten Registered Member

same problem here

ps F**** tapes go for freecom toughdrives (www.freecom.com)

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello skydreamer and jeremyotten,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please be aware that this process of sequential reading the tape is a normal procedure. The main reason is that a single file can occupy several clusters of a hard drive and these clusters can reside in different places of a hard drive. But the snapshot technology creates image archive consequently. For example, the first cluster of a file can be located in the beginning of image, the second can be in the end, the third in the middle etc. Some files can occupy hundreds of clusters and when the next cluster of a file resides in the other part of the tape, it needs to rewind there.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.