Under task manager, no users appear under users tab

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

o_O How is that possible that no users are registered under the users tab in the task manager? Shouldn't the current user be shown? Is this an FDISR thing? Didn't think a computer could function correctly if the system can't identify who the user is. Anyone else see no user listed under the user tab in task manager while using FDISR in a frozen snapshot?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My users screen is also blank.

3. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

Do you have the Terminal service disabled?

According to BlackViper's original page:

"Terminal Services

Allows remote login to the local computer. This service is required for Fast User Switching, Remote Desktop Server and Remote Assistance. You will not be able to view who is logged on to a particular computer by viewing the "user" tab located in the Task Manager if this service is disabled. For security reasons, disable this unless you specifically require its functionality. For some reason, start this service to install Norton 2003."

4. ErikAlbert

Yes. Terminal Services is disabled. That might be the reason. Thanks.

EDIT :
    I've done the test. When Terminal Service is Automatic. The users screen of the Task Manager isn't blank anymore. My name was mentioned on that screen and I'm the only user on this computer.
    The verdict for FDISR : not guilty.
    The verdict for Horus and ErikAlbert : guilty.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  5. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Yes that's it. I have terminal services off. I did this about 4days ago. I have disabled a lot of things in services to try to harden my system. I'm trying to see how many things I can turn off without it affecting fdisr, avast, and comodo.

6. ErikAlbert

I'm also trying to streamline Windows.
    You might be interested in "nLite", which allows you to create a customized "Windows Installation CD".
    nLite contains NUMEROUS settings for tweaking, removing components of Windows, services, ... and this can be good for having a smaller Windows and smaller snapshots.
    http://www.nliteos.com/

RyanVM’s Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack :
    http://www.ryanvm.net/msfn/updatepack.html
    This can be used together with nLite and is a collection of PATCHES to update Windows immediately on the same customized "Windows Installation CD" instead of using Windows Update.
    If you know what you are doing you can save alot of space on your system partition.
    And all this free of charge. :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.