Backup location - no edit, delete or use

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by caunt, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caunt

caunt Registered Member

I can create a backup location, the process is reported to have completed successfully and the cfg file is placed in the folder. However, every attempt to either use, edit or delete a backup location crashes Trueimage. I've tried un-installing and re-installing serveral times with re-boots inbetweento no avail. The folder is on as SATA hard drive attatched to the motherboard. OS = XP SP2. All other read and write activities work fine on the drive. The drive, folder, and backup location functions all worked well till my last system restore.

Perhaps the backup location info is written into the registry somewhere and is now mismatched?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Runtime Error!

Program: C:\Program Files\TrueImage\TrueImage.exe

The application has reqested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
    Please contact the application's support team for more information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

2. mustang

mustang Developer

I have figured out this problem.

It's in the registry under the following key:

HKCU\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\PlaceBrowser\FavoritePlaces

I manually deleted all keys under HKCU\Software\Acronis\Fomatik\PlaceBrowser\FavoritePlaces. Then I deleted my backup location folder. This gave me a fresh start. I created a new backup location. It can now be edited with no problem.

3. caunt

caunt Registered Member

EXCELLENT!!!

I guessed the registry was messed up - Thanks for the location: Everything works like a charm again! (Gotta save this post for next time!)

Except all you really need to delete in the backup folder is the cfg file.

Thanks a bunch:D :D :D

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

How did you figure the problem to be that key? That pretty amazing.

5. mustang

mustang Developer

Hi shieber,

I ran into this problem very early with my testing of TI10. I found the only way around it was to restore an image of WinXP taken before TI10 had ever been installed. From that, it was obvious the uninstall of TI10 was leaving something behind in the registry. I used a program called RegShot to compare the registry before and after TI10 was installed and a backup location was defined. When I saw PlaceBrowser\FavoritePlaces, it just jumped off the page. There were two subfolders. It seemed the first was the old info that had been left behind, and the second was the new info. I think TI just came to the first folder and stalled with a Runtime Error. Deleting both folders and stating over worked.

I'm sure we will see many more complaints like this when the first update of TI10 comes along.

6. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Mustang,
    I had the same problem when trying to do a clean install of TI10 4940. At that time I did a total scrub of all thing Acronis, using JV16 to find and remove registry entries. Everything worked fine after installation. This morning the problem reappeared, the error message appearing when trying to edit or delete a backup location. In addition to the uninstall leaving a registry entry behind, if one of the entries in the registry location you indicate is not complete, for whatever reason, the error message will show up. In my case I'm sure my experimenting with the feature caused a corrupt registry entry. Bottom line is that your solution worked perfectly.

Many thanks,
    CatFan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.