Antivirus Necessary For Linux ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mr2cents, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I'm running "Windows ME" and " Xubuntu linux". On a dual boot configeration. My question. Is an antivirus necesary for linux? I've googled this question..and it seems that about 70% say no, and about 30% say yes. (those aren't scientific numbers btw, just my estimation)

I thought I would get everyones opinion here. If you think an antivirus is necessary for linux. Which one would you recommend ? I know kav makes an antivirus for linux. However free would be better. :) Who are some other manufacturers of antiviruses for linux? BTW, I do run kav on windows me.

Antivirus necessary for linux ? Yes or no.

2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

A resident av for Linux? No not for me, thats not to say I do not investigate with various tools.
    I like to run an appliance, firewall with intrusion detection.

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It depends only on a user. I do not know OS, which would need a realtime AV.
    If you use a browser without scripts, do not open attachments, no AV needed.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

A bit OT but I want to ask, I installed Avast in Ubuntu and it was not running in real time. Is this the usuall AV setup( on-demand only) in linux or I missed something?

5. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

An antivirus for linux is not necessary unless you share files with WinMe. I had ClamAV back when I ran PCLOS and all it found was trojans some websites had tried to install. They were sitting harmlessly in FireFox's cache, not knowing what to do with linux, lol.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    No need. If you're going to install something, you'll do it anyway. If you're trying to run something and it's malicious, it won't be able to do much without root privileges. Furthermore, the chances of finding malicious software for Linux is difficult. Unlike Windows.
    Mrk

7. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AVIRA has a Linux version on Free Download site:

8. phasechange

phasechange Registered Member

only if you share files with windows machines or dual boot and access the same files.

In short, no. Even when sharing files the risk is very low.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I think that Antivir for Unix is only an on-demand scanner. F-Prot and AVG offer full versions.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

What about Avast.

F-Prot is free as well?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i can see why you want to use linux since you have got windows ME poor you:D
    my old pc had windows Me and i hate it.
    btw kav doesnt have self protection with windows ME due to the OS.
    lodore

12. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

This subject comes up every so often, why doesn't one of the AV guys ever shed some light ?

My thoughts..use an AV and help clean up the net ;)

I use F-Prot on PCLinuxOS wheather I need it or not.

13. lucas1985

I think it´s the same as Antivir.
    Yes, it´s free. Check

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

there are linux viruses out there, just not as many.. id still use one to be safe now, than sorry later.

i think dr.web does many linux versions here

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

good link
    lodore

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks.

17. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I still haven't decided whether to run an antivirus with linux or not. If I do it will be an on demand scanner only. No resident. It seems the majority of linux users that do run a antivirus run Clamwin.

I currently run antivir as an on demand scanner with windows me. Run Kav as resident. I wasn't aware that avira had a linux version. Antivir will probably be the one I run if I decide to use one. I don't do any file sharing. So I should be safe.

I really like Xubuntu linux. I know I won't be running windows much anymore. Windows does have a few games I like to play. So, I will keep it around for that. Windows ME and kav need a rest. LOl. See screenshot. This virus almost destroyed my OS. Every program crashed except, Kav, Firefox, Kerio 2.1.5 and Boclean.

IE Crashed, SSM or system safety monitor crashed, Winrescue crashed, That was the last straw for me. Luckily firefox was able to access the internet, and I was able to download a new winnet dll. And replace the deleted one, that kav deleted. Once I installed the new dll. All my programs started working again. I did google to find out more about this virus before I let Kav delete it.

Everyone said the dll file had to be deleted and a new one installed. There were quite a few people that got this virus. I still don't understand how I got it. I had 3 tabs opened in firefox...Drudgereport, wilders, and a football forum. I wasn't surfing the dark side of the web. All at once kav came up telling me I was infected.

Attached Files:

• kav1.jpg
      kav1.jpg
      File size:
      22.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  18. FRug

FRug Registered Member

Who says antivir for linux only has an on-demand scanner?

They actually developed one of the first ever unix/linux/bsd kernel modules for on-acccess scanning and made it opensource in 2002. AVG, Avast, FPROT and ESET (and many more) all use the on-access technology initally developed by the guys at AVIRA.

see www.dazuko.org

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So all these`are resident AVs?

20. lucas1985

I´m confused now. Perhaps you are talking about the paid version? The developer of HAVP told me that Antivir free has no usable daemon.
    o_O

21. tlu

tlu Guest

You don't need an antivirus. However, you should stick with the official repositories (that contain more than enough software for most fields of applications). If you need third-party software as an exception, make sure that it's from a trustworthy source - otherwise it's not impossible even for Linux to run into the risk that you catch e.g. a rootkit considering that most applications need root privileges for installation. But all told, the actual risks are very, very small.

Nevertheless, I scan my emails for Windows malware. They impose no risk for Linux but I want to get rid of them.

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So can anybody sum up free on-access scanners for home user. I think

AVG
    F-Prot
    ??
    ??...

thanks

23. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the way i see it is if you can be safe on windows with just and av and firewall then you dont really need an antivirus on linux lol.
    lodore

24. Long View

Long View Registered Member

same as post #3. People allows viruses onto machines not Operating systems.

25. lucas1985

ArcaVir
    License
    BitDefender has a free on-demand (command line) scanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.