Acronis 9-Restoring in safe boot.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by babac, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi gang,
    When restoring, the rescue cd offers an option to recover in safe boot mode.
    Can you tell me when would I use such an option?
    Thank you.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If the Full mode locks up, then the Safe boot is more likely to successfully boot into TrueImage. (Think of Safe Mode in Windows. You can't do much in Safe Mode, but sometimes it's the only way to boot your system.)

In TI Safe mode, you normally can't access external USB drives or network drives, but you can access internal hard drives. So, if your backup was stored on an internal drive or copied there, you can still do a Restore.

If the Full mode works, there's no reason to ever use the Safe mode.

3. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi John,
    In other words, I should use ''safe boot'' only if I cannot restore on ''normal boot''
    Am I correct?
    Thank you.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello babac,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

As explained in the chapter 9 “Creating bootable media” of the respective User's Guide:
    - Acronis True Image Home full version includes support of USB, PC Card (formerly PCMCIA) and SCSI interfaces along with the storage devices connected via them, and therefore is highly recommended;
    - Acronis True Image Home safe version does not include USB, PC Card, or SCSI drivers. Recommended for use in cases where problems running the full version occur.
    Please also have a look at this article.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

The "Safe" version of the True Image rescue environment uses a combination of DOS and the motherboard's BIOS routines. Depending on the make and model of the motherboard, a user may find that his external USB hard drive is detected and usable (mine is :)), albeit at USB 1 transfer rate (i.e. veerrryy slow :p).

Whether using the "Full" or "Safe" version, the external HD needs to be connected and switched on before booting into the relevant rescue environment.

Regards

6. babac

babac Registered Member

Hello,
    Thanks to both of you.It's really appreciated.

7. shieber

shieber Registered Member

There could be an extra little rub here. Some Mobos won't boot with certain USB drives attached -- the BIOS seems to hang during the POST check for IDE drives or there abouts. Solution if that happens is:

1) to plug in the USB drive right after the IDE drives are detected;
    2) leave the USB plugged in and when the boot appears to hang, unplug it for a second or two and as soon as the POST continues, plug it back in; or
    3) Leave USB plugged in and just be very patient -- some of my mobos will take several minutes to complete the POST is certain USB drives are plugged in.

I've noticed this, for example, with some thumb drives and the Iomega Silver Portable ( which is really a laptop drive in an aluminum case with an integral interface to USB) on a couple of Abit mobos.

8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi sh,

Useful bit of info there. :thumb:

USB is a bit of a dogs dinner I'm afraid and not the panacea for external hard drive connectivity we had all hoped for (the standard isn't definitive enough). Using TI's "Safe" rescue environment, I often needed a couple of retries before my USB HD was detected correctly. Here's hoping e-SATA turns out to be more reliable. :)

Regards

9. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

When it comes to USB functionality with TI the root of the problem seems to be the lack of adequate Linux drivers supplied by Acronis. Using any of the Bart PE varients gives much improved performance with the several different USB drives that I have tried.

Being somewhat "off the wall" I have given up on USB drives with Acronis. Instead I use exchangeable hard drives in a rack. This way of working really "Cuts the Mustard"

Xpilot

A PS for Menorcaman. I got a new Elise S last Friday so 23 hours out of 24 my thoughts and time are elsewhere [​IMG]

10. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

As a manger I used to work was fond of saying "that's the nice thing about standards, there are so many to choose from".:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.