Scan from context menu doesn't work?

Discussion in 'ewido anti-spyware forum' started by MikeBCda, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I'd brought this up quite a while back, probably in someone else's thread, but don't remember ever seeing any answers/suggestions.

On my XP (Home) SP2 system, since the "upgrade" to 7.5 there's still a context-menu entry for Scan with AVG A-S if I right-click on a file or folder in Explorer. But clicking on that choice merely opens A-S and does no scanning, as it used to do in older ewido versions.

Is this a bug that'll hopefully be fixed in future versions? Or has this option been dropped, but by oversight wasn't removed from the context menu?

(Edit, a P.S.) In either case, how can I scan individual files or folders, typically after downloading something (I've got the free home version).

2. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

There should still be a right click contect menu scan. If you are using the free version, it must be running in the system tray for the scan to work. If you have exited the program entirely, the right click will only open AVG AS. Then a second right click should start the scan. It sounds like the problem you are having is because AVG AS is not running when Windows starts. That's fine, of course, but it adds an extra step when you want to do the context menu scan of a file.

3. MikeBCda

Thanks, OldRebel. Just tried it your way, and that works fine.

But the "AVG way" is definitely not the way to go (hope they're listening). Ewido, from the context menu, would open and scan. And if I'm using the home version, without resident protection, there's no reason for me to leave A-S open or have it open with Windows.

4. buttoni

buttoni Registered Member

FWIW MikeBCda, AVG is never running in my system tray or Task Manager (unless I expressly open it) as I use it only as an on-demand scanner. I set the service to manual a long time ago & took all things Ewido/AVG out of my startup via msconfig. Yet I regularly right-click and get an instant scan with no problems whatsoever (free version). Just did it awhile ago, as a matter of fact. This feature may have been corrupted on your system somehow and a uninstall/reinstall might fix it? So I don't concur with Old Rebel on that one.

5. MikeBCda

Thanks, buttoni, uninstall (including a bit of registry cleaning) and re-install did do the trick -- so far, anyway.

I'd installed the new AVG over the old ewido, and I vaguely recall the installer offered to take out the ewido first. Possibly it didn't do a clean job, as quite commonly happens in that case. Uninstalling it myself might have avoided this problem in the first place.

6. OldRebel

OldRebel Registered Member

You may be right about that, but there may be complicating factors. I just ran a right click scan with AVG AS closed, and it popped up right away and scanned. Funny, in the past I had trouble with that. The only difference I can think of is that I'm using a different AV program now than I was when I noticed that happening. Maybe my Proactive Defense Module interferred before, somehow, or slowed things down.

7. Trencherman

Trencherman Registered Member

For me, re-installing brought right-click scans back for a day or two. They're gone again now.

8. shek

shek Registered Member

I have the same problem.

9. MikeBCda

Same here. So I'm back to my original contention, either it's a bug that needs fixed or else the feature was dropped and it shouldn't show in the context menu. o_O

10. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

It could be caused by a bug we discovered recently when we did a code screening on this part of AVG AS. Therefore it should be fixed in the next build - which will be hopefully released next month. Sorry for the inconvenience!

11. MikeBCda

Thanks, Peter. If it helps you track it down any, after my re-install the context-menu worked fine until I removed A-S from Win's startup (using JV-16, couldn't find any provision for this in A-S itself). Maybe just a coincidence of timing, but it certainly suggests a connection with the problem.

12. buttoni

buttoni Registered Member

Well, guys. All I can say is I manually uninstalled Ewido 4.0 via Add/Remove Programs (no registry clean up was done by me). Then I d/l'd & installed AVG 7.5 (installer may have cleaned out some registry items, unbeknownst to me). My right-click context menu scan has never not performed, from day one of my AVG 7.5 install when it was first released. I use it to scan every single thing I download. AVG AS is not in my startup. If it's a program bug, it appears to only be a bug for some users and not all.

Sorry your reinstall only remedied for a brief time. Wonder if there is a conflict with something else you have onboard. As you can see by my signature, I run little realtime to avoid any conflicts. Ditched SpywareGuard & SpywareBlaster when I installed Counterspy, as it offers the protection those two programs once provided on this system. FWIW I've never been infected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.