Restore to new higher capacity hard drive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by hundley0476, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hundley0476

hundley0476 Registered Member

I purchased a new higher capacity hard drive for my laptop. I took a full disk image using True Image 9 of the old drive and stored the files on an external USB drive. I installed the new drive and want to restore the image files. The restore seems to work fine, but the resulting partition only has the maximum capacity of the old drive. So, there is a lot of unallocated space on the new drive. I want the restored partition to be larger than the original. Hopefully, I explained this right.

2. MTX

MTX Registered Member

3. dld

dld Registered Member

- Use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a small temporary Secure Zone (SZ) in the unallocated space on your drive.
    - Once the SZ has been created, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard once more to remove the SZ and opt to assign the space it used to the main partition.
    - Reboot your system and you should now find you have eliminated the unallocated space.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello hundley0476,

Thank you for using Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

You can change the restored partition size during restoration process as described in chapter 6.3.8 in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User's Guide.

The approach described by dlb also can be used to increase the partition size.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

You could also follow Menorcaman's instructions Restoring to a larger hard drive.
    I used it for installing a new larger drive in my laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.