Just Upgraded to ATI 10 QUESTION?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Steve1209, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Hi all,

I just upgraded to ATI10, one of my biggest complaints under ATI 9.1 was the inability to have unique names on my back-up files.

I do a nightly FULL back-up, can I now somehow use unique names under ATI10, like adding a date or a generation number to my full backup, this is my whole reason for upgrading?

How can I save multiple days of back-up's without manual intervention?

Thanks for any help you can give!
    Steve

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Steve,

You'll want to learn to use the new Backup Location feature in TI 10, once set up correctly it should do what you want. Look over Chapter 7 in the pdf manual. You won't be able to manually name your backup files in this feature, but the automatic naming makes each one unique, being based on date and time of creation. If you get stuck, search or repost to this forum and help should be forthcoming.

3. Steve1209

Hey Catfan,

Sorry I'm a little slow at this, I reviewed Chapter 7 UP & Down, it seems to allow for a location, a size but doesn't seem to have a daily back-up naming convention, did I miss that part (?) can you please explain that better cause it's not clear to me in TI10:

Thanks,
    Steve

4. CatFan432

Steve,

No argument from me that the manual isn't clear. Here's a text file I put together for a friend, I hope it's clear.

Attached Files:

5. shieber

shieber Registered Member

When you create a backup and have specified a Backup Location (ie, a managed backup location) as the destination, then the naming is automatic.

So you won't see this as an option when setting up a managed Backup Location but it will show when creating the backup.

sh

6. Steve1209

Catfan,

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions, I was able to follow them almost to the letter, I'll see how the naming goes tonight with my scheduled back-up!

shieber,

Thank you for the explanation on the procedure that Catfan layed out so nicely for me, THAT info is certainly NOT clear in the manual!!

Thanks to both of you,
    Steve

7. shieber

The naming convention used by ATI10, as reproted by Acronis, is:
    "The image archive automatically gets file name. The name is like 2006_10_22_11_29_14_218F.TIB. The archive file name contains the information about image creation data: 22 of October 2006, 11:29 AM in this case. "F" means that the image type is full [actually the "f" indcates a file-by-file backup and a"d" would indcate a disk or partition backup]. The name of the first incremental/differential backup to this full backup archive will be 2006_10_22_11_29_14_218D2.TIB (number 2 adds)."

Note that the time might be off by an hour forward even if you are not on daylight savings, and if your file is named after 11:00pm, the date in the name might be shown as the next day. The last two groups of figures in the filename are seconds and thousandths of seconds -- so every file is bound to have a unique name.

Btw, the file's time date stamp will be correct.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  8. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi there sh,

I guess you have forgotten what was said in this previous thread titled <ATI 110 Archive Management -- File Quota Feature not functional>. :D

If you recall, Acronis Support confirmed that the "F" did in fact signify a "Files and Folders" image rather than "Full" as they had previously stated.

Regards

9. Steve1209

@Catfan

Thanks so much, your back-up instructions worked like a charm, they should be a STICKY here for new people to follow. Or Acronis support team should give some clear instructions in the documentation.

@Menorcaman

Thanks for the explanation and pointing out the info my file was as follows:

2007_01_10_01_15_22_984D
    Yes I asked for a full disk back-up, NOT files and that's what I got.

@shieber

Thank you for the explanation on the time, I have the job to trigger at 12:15AM and as you mentioned the time looks like 1:15AM

I appreciate the support here,

Steve

10. CatFan432

Steve,

Thanks so much for the compliment, I'm just glad to be of help. Also, I am old enough to remember when manuals were written giving instructions on a step-by-step basis, telling you exactly what you should see next. Sadly, too few are anymore. -CF

11. shieber

Ha ha, the dangers of using search and quote under a php system. ;-) Thanks for the correction. I modified the post lest some other poor fool, including me, come across it somtime in the future and further quote the wrong info.

sh

12. doh!

doh! Registered Member

Excellent.. no wonder it wasnt working.. not very clear at all but thanks to you i have figgured this out.. thanks again..

13. shieber

It's allittle awkward to understand at first, but once you do and get it set up, I think you'll love it. It's virtually set and forget.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.