Win32/PowerReg Threat

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mspector, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mspector

mspector Registered Member

I'm building a new PC, and just installed 1.7 on it. I'm getting a threat warning that I've never seen 'W32/PowerReg'. I looked on the EST Threat board, and the threat is not listed. None of my other workstations exhibit the threat. The new workstation is an AMD 64 X2 +5200 Dual Core on a Gigabit S Series Motherboard. I'm pretty sure the component NOD32 is complaining about is the Power Regulation s/w that came with the Gigabit Drivers (duh). Any thoughts why NOD32 is identifying this as a threat?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Perhaps it is pottentially unwated/unsafe program

It is not detected for no reason :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2006
  3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Some things are:-they're called false positives!

4. mspector

Thanks for the comments. I can deal with the false positive, just curious if it REALLY is a false positive -- or is there something specific about the app that actually is a threat.

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Best to try scanning it with another av and see what comes up.

6. covaro

covaro Registered Member

PowerReg usually refers to a "registration reminder" utlity. Ie... one of those annoying programs that pops up every time you start your computer until you do what it asks.

A lot of stuff uses it, including companies like HP, et al. It's most likely not a FP.

-Cov

7. mspector

Bingo! After a little hunting around, and a decompile :), I was able to identify the application. As Covaro had suggested, it's just an annoyance. Errr..... should I say it WAS just an annoyance. Thanks everyone!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.