amber alert! SG download protection gone

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by ursamajoran, Nov 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ursamajoran

ursamajoran Registered Member

OK Ready? Spyware guard 2.2, spyware blaster 2.6.1, spybot s & d, Free surfer, AVG, M$ firewall, XP Home. No problems with any of the programs, except.........on the spyware guard, the download protection is disabled about 50% of the time I check it. I reenable it, and then later, it has mysteriously been disabled again. Any reason why that would be happening? All apps are checked for updates daily. The AVG is run daily at bed time and I run symantec once a week just for backup. I am running an OC'd P4 1.8 at 2.4, 512MB DDR, with about 180GB free space, and a GForce 4

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Do you happen to use any download managers or download accelerators? There are some threads here where people using those have found that they disable the download protection in SpywareGuard.

3. ursamajoran

Yes I use Star Downloader. Thanks I'll have to watch and see if there is a correlation between the two.

4. ursamajoran

Nope. I just downloaded and installed a 50MB game demo with the accelerator, and the download prot. is still enabled

5. LowWaterMark

Some people reported that the download protection actually removed upon reboot, following the prior use of a download manager. Something about the way the downloader software ties into the system. You may want to search this section using the word "download"

6. LowWaterMark

7. ursamajoran

The dll registered then I got this message (download is still enabled by the way)

LoadLibrary(“>“)failed - The specified module could not be found

8. ursamajoran

See attachment. It's 3:30 AM in L.A. I'm goin to bed. I'll get back in a few hours and see if I can help further

Attached Files:

9. ursamajoran

OK Here's what I am seeing now. I downloaded a program with the Star downloader, and checked SG. The download protection still had the green check. I rebooted and it was a red X. I went into the reg and looked at the browser help string. it was "no value set". I reenabled it and looked in the reg again and it said SG download prot.. OK So I went back and downloaded a program with the XP app and not an accelerator program. I have all these windows open and I'm closing them to reboot and I notice the reg entry now is saying no value set. But I hadn't rebooted, so I opened SG and the download protect was still checked Green. BUT.. when I hit options, even though the green check was there the download protect was unchecked on the options window. So I think the download is disabling it immediately and these others are seeing the green check and think it's disabling only on the reboot which doesn't seem to be. Also ,at least on mine, it is the download that is the trigger, though right now it is looking like whether or not I use the accelerator it is still disabling. Last point I just realised the accelerator opens a window and I have to tell it to ignore the link if I want to download without it, so I'll have to check that out too.

10. ursamajoran

FIXED IT! Sort of.......... The Star download has an option "Browser Integration" that allows you to open the accelerator when you click on the download link. As soon as the download window opens, the Download protection in SG is disabled whether you use it or not. However when you disable the Browser Integration option, the problem is resolved. I can still right click on the download link and choose the "download with Star Downloader" option. After downloading 2 programs, and after doing a cold boot and a reboot, the SG Download protection is no longer being disabled. I can live with that. As to why it's doing that, sorry I'm not a programmer, you'll have to figure that out. Any questions just ask. Hopefully I've given you a direction to look in. And thanks for the good programs.

11. LowWaterMark

Hi ursamajoran,

Excellent work! Thank you very much for taking the time to look into this and test through the different conditions involved. [​IMG]

Until we found someone who could recreate the problem, it was almost impossible to make any progress. I'm sure this will help Javacool to determine what options are possible going forward.

Thank you again!

12. ursamajoran

My pleasure. Now I have to go delete these 13 copies of AIDA32 I downloaded <G>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.