McAfee and PX

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by ghaas, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghaas

ghaas Registered Member

using xppro, sp1, all fixes to 03-045; mcafee 4.51sp1 8260 engine

I install PX 1.8 and restart - win xplr says 'error, need to restart' , click ok, then this repeats indefinitely; only solution is to go to safe mode and uninstall PrtXplr

the message identifies wbhook32.dll as the problem

any ideas?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello ghaas, welcome to the forum and PE.

Sorry to read about your bad experience.

Is that the Mcafee antivirus or the firewall? The latter indeed is causing lots of problems with PE for which contributions leading to a solution are greatly appreciated.

With the av it should not have real problems.

It could help (in case of firewalls) to uninstall that, first install PE and after the firewall back again.
    I'm sure you closed all the AV/AT when installing PE.

You could also like to look if LSPfix could fix some of the layers, which you can get here

3. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

wbhook32.dll - is that part of McAfee ?

We dont recommend using the McAfee firewall, as it causes problems with Port Explorer - this could be part of what is happening here. There are lots of free firewalls which are compatible, or you could see if there is an updated version.

Edit - ok its part of VirusScan, you should contact their support department about this. Dont take no for an answer, PE works perfectly with all other software we can find.. so unless you have a virus this is a McAfee bug that needs to be fixed. There are some compatibility issues with the firewall as mentioned, so its really up to them to correct this problem.

4. Yes, I gave up long ago using Mcafee and PX, :'(. I wish the problem was solved. I paid for the Mcafee, which I like very much except for this problem..

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

May i please have an answer if you are talking about the mcafee firewall or the mcafee av/at ? This makes a very big difference.
    As with the av/at more users use both, the firewall is the problem child, for which mcafee support should finally give a helpfull hand.
    I tried to get answers from their support department to be able to help users here, which they refuse as i'm no customer myself of their products.
    And did you contact mcafee support for it?

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Its to do with LSP drivers and the other drivers in the layer all working together happily. So many others do, even NOD32's more complex layer management system. So nothing we can do really, I'm sorry

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

This the 2nd thread relating to Mcafee stuff and Port explorer. The other related to AOL. I am an AOL user, and happy, and am about to get Port Explorer. The only thing worse then trying to get the Mcafee firewall to work was getting thru to their support people. My solution to get the firewall to work was to trash it, and go with Zone Alarm pro 4.0. As for the tech support, it was none existent. There regular customer service only took two weeks to get the billing mess worked out. I know have a permenent firewall around mcafee.

8. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Peter sorry to read your bad experiences with mcafee, hope they have a good moneyback policy in the end.
    If their tech guys only worked to configurations tests and changes in their software it could have been all so different.
    Fortunately you found a better firewall now and i hope you're happy using PE with it!

9. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

imo, there is something bad wrong at mcafee.. they really should be sued, and have the ftc come down on them. what a nitemare. i believe their av product is good, but they are screwing things up, sending spam through the updater. it makes me want to scream.

10. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

As this is not the mcafee forum i'll spare you the sad long time ago experiences stories of myself and another recent victim with not any alert on a svhost server (trojan) with that so i just mean and not even blocked traffic on that with the firewall of the same name -- i wouldn't go without a good second opinion if using that.
    From our security experts here we've read several times in the divers forums better look for more secure firewalls, not to mention the rather sad support experiences, i'm really sorry to read all that and all we can do is trying to be helpful where we can to help to the best of our abilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.