F-PROT v6 to release on 12/11/2006

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Miyagi, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and what if the answer had been negative?:) you folks did a great job, keep it up, for all of us.;)

2. mario_l

mario_l Registered Member

Thanks for the answer, but I am still wandering what "IC" stands for...

Thank you very much in name of all my co-workers and myself. It has been a loooong way (several years since we started working on it), a huuuuuge amount of work of a looooot of people (over 50 people) here at Frisk Software International to get this new version out there.
    I am glad that some of you guys see it is an improvement compared to the old version, that was the idea after all this work :)
    I am glad too that some of you guys find things to improve even more, that will keep us very busy for quite a while...

mario

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

IC=Inspector Clouseau:)

4. mario_l

Ok, so my assumtion was right.

You see, statements like the one I quoted last here, really offend me deeply. It offends me personally, after being an anti-virus engine researcher/developer here at Frisk Software International for more than 5 years now.
    Morover, it makes me angry for all my co-workers that have been working very hard for several years to make Engine 4 / F-PROT 6 a reality now (including, but not only, the tenths of thousands of lines of engine code that make "Maximus" do what it does), it is just unfair and simply not right, to give credit to one single person for the hard work made by a few dozen committed, pacient and modest people than silently have been working during several years very hard to make this new version possible.

Sadly, this particular forum, and others, are crowded of statements similar or related to your statment.

I really do not know where do you guys take the information from, but most of the statements related to the !Maximus heuristic in F-PROT are totally wrong.

There is a huge ammount of missinformation regarding the !Maximus technology out there, even an online F-PROT review in italian authored by Marco Giuliani at http://www.hwupgrade.it/articoli/sicurezza/1593/f-prot-4-dopo-lunga-assenza-il-ritorno_3.html that states for example (translated by babelfish, and manually fixed by me):
    "The new technology, entirely developed by the programmer of Frisk Int. Software Michael St. Neitzel, takes the name of "Maximus" and introduces numerous interesting technical characteristics."

Modestly, my personal opinion, and trying to be clear, the last quoted statement is totally WRONG.

Sadly, I can not give technical details, but, I hope, if you guys are involved in any kind of software development and/or antimalware research, will understand that it is really unlikely if not humanly impossible, that one single person could design, develop and test such an state of the art, stable, flexible, antivirus heuristic engine in 3 or 6 months.

Do not get me wrong, no doubt "IC" is responsable for the visible part of the Maximus technology, and I am personally happy to have him working with us, and he is doing a great job, but it takes a lot of more people and time to design/develop/test/mantain such a working, real world, heuristic technology.

To be clear, again, my personal opinion, the "Maximus" technology is the result of several years of research/design/development/redesign/bug fixing/testing/optimization of many people here at Frisk Software International.

I hope I made myself clear, thanks for reading this, sincerely,

mario.

5. ashishtx

ashishtx Registered Member

I was testing the beta version and it was wise enough to download the release build automatically. I have my trial subscription until feb 2007. This AV is definately a lightweight in Ram usage and Heavyweight in virus detection. Can someone tell me, how do i find the version info from the GUI? Thanks.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: First, allow me to salute you guys at Frisk Internatinal for this master of piece, years' hard work is finally able to present to vast AV users. And I also share your sad feeling about a single person may have stole all the credit you and your teammates should have deserved. He has been a visible person of F-PROT on this forum, therefore undoubtly is regarded as a de facto spokeperson for your company. Your direct involvement w/ members of this forum in the future could easily change that. I am sure that memebers will welcome your positve contributions. Cheers.:)

7. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

A great deal of the posters here, have nothing to do with the IT at all and I would therefore ignore their ignorance completely. They are testing a product and write all day long about that in a great deal of posts, trying to impress who? A while back it was Avira and now they jump to the new F-Prot.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2006
  8. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

mario_l: With due respect, thank you for enlightening us with all that's happening within the Frisk network and coming out with the new version. Inspector Closeau (Mike) and Vasselyn are the only 2 from Frisk software that have been active in this forum imo. I believe IC has been a great person in spreading word about F-Prot and also teaching us the malware trend. We would like more people like you and him visiting the forums and guiding us in the correct path. Honestly, my new license from F-Prot was because of Mike. Please don't feel like we are only shining Mike. We would love you and others from Frisk to be more active here. ;)

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

wow, didnt see that coming. Geez, I am the last one to try and show disrespect. I really dont know a lot about this and was trying to be nice. Wow, sorry. And Big Apple, my seeds stay where my sig is, so dont even try it. Mario, again, was not trying to give one person credit but he was the only one I knew here. Kind of like Don with Kaspersky, Marcos and Eset and so on.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2006
  10. rothko

rothko Registered Member

Hi Mario,

Obviously I can't speak for trjam, but I read different meaning in his original quote, and had this confirmed in a later post he made after you asked him to explain further.

In my view, trjam is saying it must be hard for IC and the whole Frisk development team to stand by and watch all other AV companies gather congratulations and praise for performing well in various AV tests, and not be able to join in with the party because F-Prot 4 was still in the making.

He doesn't seem to be singling out IC, just mentioning him by name as he is a regular on the forum and is known by many as a now Frisk employee.

I can see why you were angered, but I think it came from a misunderstanding.

all the best, lee

11. DjMaligno

DjMaligno Hispasec/VirusTotal

"In my view, trjam is saying it must be hard for IC and the whole Frisk development team to stand by and watch all other AV companies gather congratulations and praise for performing well in various AV tests, and not be able to join in with the party because F-Prot 4 was still in the making."

I think this is the way to see it. Understanding that somebody was giving 100% of the credit of so much hard work is, in my opinion, a twisted way of reading that sentence. Anyway, it is usual that people use a personal name to refer the work of an entity as he's/she's the 'closer' reference they have. There's no need to get in this kind of stuff, specially when all people here work hard to help each other. I've known IC some years ago because my work at VirusTotal and I've allways seen on him a person that is allways ready to give a hand and help. I can't see on him a person that would claim something like what is being said.

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I was taken aback by your bitter post and the poor guy whose head you practically bit off...he didn't deserve that. We all know Inspector Clouseau from NOD32 and now Frisk so, of course, his name is going to come up all the time...so what? That doesn't mean that any of us think only one person did all the work on the new F-Prot. You could have spent some time in the past posting here and then we'd know you too. Inspector Clouseau is a great asset to the F-Prot team but I know it is a TEAM effort ...not just him and he hasn't claimed all the "glory". You said something about all the quiet, meek workers..well...maybe they need to get out in the limelight more and post here and other forums...start blogs, etc.

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

To all,

Technical discussion and opinions about this new F-PROT v6 release are Welcome. This thread is not about an individual....nor will it turn into a running commentary on individuals. That's about as plain as it gets. We would appreciate if this announcement thread remain just that....an announcement and\or congratulation thread directed toward the whole Frisk Team. We will let the discussion continue as it relates to the F-PROT v6 release or end here.

I'll also ask that if users have issues with this version to not clutter this thread with those posts....create a separate thread for assistance Please.

As for the post edits relating to whole post quotes....in particular those posts that have been directly above....Please take time to review our FAQ: The Art of Quoting in Posts. It becomes very distractive to our threads when long posts are quoted without any necessity.

Thanks,
    Bubba

14. mario_l

Hi all,
    @ trjam: no problem, my mistake. I got it all wrong. That was the reason I was asking you to explain exactly what you meant. You see, english is not my mother tonge.

Yes, you are right, I can see it now. I apologize to all for my BIG missundertanding.

mario.

15. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Misunderstandings do happen from time to time. That's simply a part of trying to communicate across many countries and languages in a forum environment like this. Whenever something like this happens, what's important is that we all keep trying until we do understand, and then put it behind us and move forward. I'm glad to see that this has worked out.

Congratulations to all of you on this new release. :cool:

16. mario_l

Cool, yes, we are friends. :thumb: ;)

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It is nice to see other FRISK´s people posting here :thumb:

18. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Yes, it's Great!

Inspector Closeau
    bontchev
    mario_l
    Supportguy

Am I missing any other Frisk crew?

19. Cap'n Kirk

Cap'n Kirk Registered Member

Click on the Updates tab.

20. hurzelpurzel

hurzelpurzel Registered Member

Yes :D ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.