AntiVir PE Premium or NOD32

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jaydub, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

I'm thinking of making the leap from free AV to paid. (I've been using Active Virus Shield for a couple of months and am currently using Antivir PE Classic.)

I have a shortlist of AntiVir PE Premium or NOD32 which both seem to perform very well in independent tests (e.g AV Comparatives).

Which of the two offer the best performance in areas that aren't directly tested (e.g adware/spyware)?

Which company releases the least buggy software on upgraded versions and provides the best support if I have issues?

Are there any other factors I ought to be considering?

Thanks for your help.

2. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Re: Avira vs NOD32

You night want to change the topic title from "Avira vs NOD32" to something more descriptive :)

3. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

nod32 gets my vote here out of the 2 you chose,

both are able, try the trials and decide which works best for you.

4. jaydub

jaydub Registered Member

Too late. Can't edit the title once posted :)

Having one of those indecisive moments. Can't decide on the product and couldn't think of a better title.

5. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Since I was going to start a thread like this, let me jump in. Not an expert of any type just a user of software. I have and do use both, NOD 2.7 and Avira Security Suite. here are some observations of mine, not verified by any test but just my opinions in using them.

1. Interface - i would have to give the "nod" to Avira, fairly clean and easily navigated. Also, Avira allows you to exclude files and folders from scan easily whereas Nod's procedure is backward IMO, must include all folders you want scanned rather than excluding those you do not want scanned.

2. Spyware and adware I would say is a wash, about the same but someone may differ on this.

3. Avira has integrated firewall with suite but NOD will one day.

4. My laptop runs fast with eaither one installed so no problem with that.

5. NOD has Internet scanning but Avira does not have that as of yet but promised.

6. Email scanner of NOD may be more robust also.

7. I would say detection is about the same but as for cleaning, I don't know about that part, no infections getting through with either one.

Maybe this will help you in some way. Please feel free to correct anything I might have gotten wrong - no intention of doing that. Thanks.

Gary

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I have all the respect in the world for Eset. But with no hesitation, Avira is not only the product of choice now, ex.(AV Comparitives), but the product of the future. They have finished in first place or tied, when it came to tests at AV Comparitives that encompassed the following over the course of 2006:

1. On-demand comparative for August 2006- Rated Advanced Plus as was Nod, but with on-demand detection of polymorphic viruses, Avira got 10 out of 10, Nod was 8 out of 10. Total percentage. Avira 99.51% Nod 98.61%
    Winner-Avira

2. Retrospective/ProActive Test for November 2006- Both Advanced Plus with few false positives and fast scanning.
    ProActive detection of "NEW" samples Avira had 53% Nod 53%
    Winner-Tied

3. Detection of widely spreading malware-Both had zero missed samples
    Winner-Tied

4.Detection of potentially unwanted programs -Avira was at 96, Nod was at 89.
    Winner-Avira

What this says is they are very close and you cant go wrong with either. I feel that Avira is better at the spyware catagory, and both offer great support. I am biased towards Avira because of what their future plans are, and the future looks like they are planning on not stopping, until they offer the most comprehnsive package for the money. Support for both is great, right here at Wilders. I also know that Eset will be offering a great package to soon. But since you asked, my bet would be to go with Avira. But, to be fair, try both and see what fits the bill for you.

7. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

I don't get he Avira website.

How come it does not list the cost of the product in dollars?

8. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It's easy enough to do yourself. http://xe.com/ :p

9. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I would just like to add one thing. NOD32 clearly lists it's price. Avira does not. Yes, the conversion is a simple step. But it is one we should not have to make. Also, the "bigger" AVs (NOD32, Dr Web, Kaspersky) offer discounts. Avira does not. I can get a two year migration license for Dr Web for $33, a two year student discounted license for $29.25, and a two year VBA32 lisence for $34. With that in mind, it's difficult to see how Avira is cheap; at 1 year for $26. Also, I have wanted to try it, but cannot as there is no trial. So, my vote goes for NOD32 until these aspects of Avira are changed.

10. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

11. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Virus Bulletin is not something you want to judge with as missing 1 sample will result in a fail. Having false positives will aso result in a fail.

12. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

I don't think you can go simply by the published tests when choosing an AV. While testing might help reveal the capabilities of an AV, it is not the real world of spyware and malware. I have used both products, and switched from Avira to NOD32, mainly because of all the false positives I received from Avira. Having used NOD32 for 2 years, in that entire time I have gotten one false positive. The same file (which I knew was legitimate) was also flagged by Ewido and A-Squared as malware, showing that there was some kind of reason for the detection. I know that in the real world of the Internet, NOD32 has saved the day on several occasions. It could very well be that Avira has greatly improved since I used it, but overall I wasn't all that impressed with it. It does have an easier interface than NOD32. That is the one drawback I have with NOD - is not easy to configure, while Antivir was pretty straightfoward. Also, I really like the fact that NOD has added rootkit detection features in Version 2.7, which I use. After using both AV's for some time (as well as trying Avast beforehand), I feel much more secure online with NOD32 than I did with either of the others. Another factor is the load on your system and the intrusiveness of the product. Antivir ran very well and didn't seem to cause any slowdown. I think both Antivir and NOD32 are the best in this area. Avast made things take forever on my system, and greatly increased the boot time. NOD's 2.7 version takes a little more time than 2.5, but I have it set to the max. Maybe not necessary, but would rather be safe than sorry. Anyway, my vote definitely goes with NOD32 hands down.

13. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

From Virus Bulletin's website:

"Virus Bulletin's aim is to offer readers the best impartial advice about anti-virus security and the products on offer.

As the virus threat is continually changing, you should look for products that have achieved a succession of VB 100% awards, rather than just one or two. Developers that can best keep their products up to date are more likely to receive VB 100% awards."

I prefer my antivirus not miss any samples and not create any false positives.

14. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

BRAVO! (And just believe me i write such compliments only very rarely here)
    There is much more to consider than only the results for previous tests. One MUCH MORE IMPORTANT fact: How stable will be the detection from *any* company over a long term period? You guys should keep in mind that *every* company tries to improve their products. That said in a few months (just as an example) VBA32 could be at the Top. Will you guys then all dump Kaspersky, NOD32, Avira to go for this? If yes, then please stop reading here after this line.

Changing AV programs like underwear doesn't make any sense! Would you sell your half year old car just because neighbors car got half a star more in the latest car review? You get the point. As long as you are well protected and without any problems THERE IS NO NEED to change your current AV Solution. Otherwise you can keep jumping - there will be always some "unexpected" test results somewhere. Become familiar with one solution you like, learn how to configure it proper - that is much more important then installing every week a new AV solution without knowing what to do there and how to configure it just because you did read/hear that its supposed to be good.
    And not that somebody gets me wrong here - that is not specific for Avira/NOD32. That applies to *all* AV Programs.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Very good points Inspector. I am really guilty of this. Something to chew on.:)

16. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I have licenses for both and they're both excellent. Both have excellent detection and are very light. It will come down to your personal preferences but you will be fine with either one.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I agree inspector. i done lots of testing on my old pc and now have installed kis6.0 on my main pc and very happy.
    lodore

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I have said similar to this a couple of times in these forums especially when the August results from AV-Comparatives were published. Avira did well in those tests, but I didn't immediately switch because of that. The percentage gains were only in points anyway so not that big a deal.

19. extratime

extratime Registered Member

Both are great products, and you cannot go wrong with either.

I use Antivir (free version) on one of my secondary machines, but I cannot speak about support or bugginess of upgrades. But I am very impressed with it.

I use NOD32 on my main machine and it is a rockstar. Support (both by email and at Wilders) is stellar and the software is incredibly stable (with upgrades being smooth). I really like the fact that ESET was one of the first out with a Vista-compatible AV and one of the first to implement decent rootkit detection.

Basically it is a personal choice at the end of the day.

20. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I agree with Inspector Clouseau's comments 100%, and I find it amazing how many people jump ship everytime a new av test shows a different pecking order... :D

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

always said this......

i'll admit, ive chopped and changed, but by personal preferance, and not these test results, ive settled on what i have in my signature, and im happy.

22. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I agree with this statement. I've switch "often" too, bt not because of AV scored better on a test than another. There is always something that I wish this AV has or something this one does that that one doesn't, etc. I am suprprised no one is mentioning cost. That, to me, would be a big factor.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ive mentioned cost in the big picture all the time, but most replys say "cost means nothing to me, i can afford them all" but to this, my reply is... just because you can afford it, doesnt mean you have to pay it.

my dr.web was 26 euro, for 2 years... very very good deal, and it was a factor for sure, but to be honest.. for laptop security, its sooo light and great at what it does, so im a happy chappy :)

24. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

There's nothing wrong with doing this often. Heck, do it on a daily basis if you just like to see how these applications compare.

What is arguably misguided is switching immediately on inspection of some test results, even perfectly valid ones, because the program you are currently run is 0.1 or 1.0 or even 10% lower in detection statistics and you therefore are significantly more at risk to get infected today while engaging in everyday PC usage...., and the solution of this supposed major vulnerability is to switch products now to the application currently at the head of the pack.

It's less the specific action, than what drives it and the expectations involved.

Blue

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Cost may not mean much to some, but we that come here, do so because we "crave" this stuff. So therefore, some of us are willing to spend, to feed our crave. Right or wrong. With the average consumer cost is a big factor, along with how much knowledge they have as to what each product will or will not do. Getting the most for the least is what most want. And all of these offer a lot. I switched AVs like underwear, till I finally found a set that fit like a glove. In reference to the orginal question. Find the briefs that fit you the best and wear them for a long time.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.