TI-10 - Can't backup successfully across a network

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by popechild, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. popechild

popechild Registered Member

I'm on a 15 day trial of TI-10, and really need to see if this is a bug or something I'm doing wrong on my end before I can know whether or not to purchase. Sorry this is a little long, but I thought the more info I could provide the better. (You can see some background on my issue in this thread.)

My goal: To have a scheduled task automatically backup my computer to a networked drive on another machine on a regular basis, without that machine getting buried under a pile of backups.

Solution: This *should* be doable (and easy) in TI-10, which is why I want it. Create a Backup Location on the networked machine. Set a policy of X backups max in that location. Create a scheduled task to regularly backup my files to that Backup Location. Done. Right? Wrong.

There are two options for connecting to a networked drive when creating a Backup Location:
    1) Directly through My Network Places (end result: \\machine\folder)
    2) Through a locally "mapped" drive (end result: Y:)

Acronis lets me setup a Backup Location in either manner. However, if I use option 1, the Backup Policy simple doesn't work. I can have it set to maximum 1 backup, and do a dozen full backups without one ever getting deleted. From the logs, Acronis sees that the rule is broken and tries to delete previous backups to conform to the rule, but encounters an error when doing so. End result: No working policy.

Using option 2, I don't have that problem. I can backup all day long to the same location and the Policy will always work correctly, deleting or merging previous backups as needed to conform to the rules. However, I can't successfully schedule the backup to run automatically using this option. If I choose "Do not run automatically" it will run fine. But if I choose a time/day for it to run, it fails, whether I run that task manually or let it run at the scheduled time.

The error that it gives is: (""Failed to open the file Y:\ for write: Cannot open archive for writing. (0x400003)
    path = "Y:\"
    Tag = 0xD7386B598A774D60
    End of file was encountered. (0x40002)
    Tag = 0xC1C09B38BAFA78A8.")

So I'm stuck, as they say, between a rock and a hard place, with no way to run tasks to a networked drive both 1) automatically, and 2) with a Backup Policy enforced.

I have trouble believing that no one else is doing this successfully though, so it could be a problem on my end. If you ARE getting this to work, are you doing it using option 1 (\\machine\folder) or using option 2 (Y:)?

Thanks so much for your help!

2. ashler

ashler Registered Member

I was having this EXACT problem. The way I fixed it was by changing the duplex mode on the NIC cards from Auto to Full Duplex.

In event viewer I saw the following error
    Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT N is set up for auto-negotiation but the link partner
    is not configured for auto-negotiation. A duplex mismatch may occur.

I looked at my other servers and they were all set to Full-duplex. I set the NIC cards to full duplex and wham... got a backup.

The wierd part is that this is a production server with hundreds of users. no errors. Even MS backup worked, but acronis kept failing.

I hope this works for you.

Post back if it does.

3. popechild

Responded to ashler's other thread that this didn't make a difference for me. Should've noted it here so anyone who takes a look can tell that the problem hasn't been resolved for me.

Anybody back from the holidays that would care to help me figure out what's wrong?

How 'bout this: Has ANYONE successfully created an automated scheduled backup to a networked Backup Location AND confirmed that the Backup Policy (limited # of backups, etc.) is working correctly for that recurring backup?

4. popechild

Beuller? Beuller?

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello popechild,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

We need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible workaround.

Please collect the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Please collect log files for both cases you have described: when you used mapped drive and when used full UNC path.

Then submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Aleksandr Isakov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the issue and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakovw

6. popechild

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, since it's been 26 days since I posted the problem, I'm no longer in the trial period for Acronis so I cannot run the program and post a log per your instructions.

I'm certainly not going to pay for a license without knowing whether or not there's a resolution to the problems I was having. But if you'd like to provide me with some sort of extension to my trial so that I can work with support to find a resolution, I'd be happy to do so.

Please let me know if that is an option.

7. blee

blee Registered Member

I have experienced similar problems to what popechild describes above. I just upgraded from V9 to V10 and was hoping to use the new backup policy features on a networked drive. I had previously experienced no problems with creating scheduled backups on my network drive until I tried setting up a V10 "backup location". Like popechild the backups seem to create succesfully if my backup location is a UNC name. However, I haven't done enough testing to figure out if the policy actually works or not in this scenario, although I can confirm that the policy config file does create successfully when the backup location is defined.

Setting up a mapped drive as a backup location fails with the same error as popechild describes. Very strange, since a normal (non-policy based) scheduled backup to the same drive works just fine, just like it did in V9. Aleksandr, I will do what you suggested to popchild and send you a copy of my log file.

8. CAOgdin

CAOgdin Registered Member

Same Situation...

We have Acronis TI Home 9, which allows me to image the desktop to a folder on another computer. (That computer has a huge tape drive, to which all our common files...including ATIH9 archives...are saved weekly.)

We upgraded to Acronis TI Home 10, and there is no condition under which I can backup to another computer, whether through UNC, mapped drive, or to any folder on a mapped drive.

Have you intentionally removed this functionality?

For the moment, we're reverting to ATIH 9, and I will be asking for a refund of our upgrade fee!

9. CAOgdin

CAOgdin Registered Member

Still awaiting any response from Acronis. Do they care?

10. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

If not already done, suggest it would be worthwhile you logging into your Acronis Account and raising a technical query via the Contact Support option.

Regards

11. blee

blee Registered Member

I did that and included the requested log files. Heard zero from them except the standard acknowledgment that they logged the incident.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Post the query number here (contained in the auto reply message) and, hopefully, one of the Acronis Support Moderators will chase up the status for you.

Regards

13. blee

blee Registered Member

14. sethladd

sethladd Registered Member

Did anyone figure this out? I'm experiencing the same issue. I cannot backup to a network drive. My error log reads as:

Failed to open the file Z:\ for write: Cannot open archive for writing. (0x400003)
    path = "Z:\"
    Tag = 0xD7386B598A774D60
    End of file was encountered. (0x40002)
    Tag = 0xC1C09B38BAFA78A8.

A real bummer. I'm in the trial period, and I need this functionality to work before I purchase the product.

15. blee

blee Registered Member

I can backup to the network via UNC name, but backup policies don't seem to work at all in this case. A real shame, as backup policies was the sole reason for my upgrading to V10.

16. sethladd

I'm running my backup via a scheduled task, which fails every time. I have my network share mounted as the Z: drive. This Z: drive is also marked as a Backup Location.

Still no luck.

17. sethladd

I've just changed from mapped drive to UNC name and it appears that the backup is running. I've run the scheduled task manually. This task is scheduled to run at shutdown, so I will see if it also works there.

18. kimhav

kimhav Registered Member

Well, downloaded the trial version today and got the exactly same error when trying to run backup schedule against lan resource. Defining the backup location wasn't any problem and as well the TI wrote the cfg file at that location as well. Using the backup wizrd to create a backup worked fine and archive was created on the lan resource. So it's clearly only the scheduler part that doesn't work out.

19. blee

blee Registered Member

UNC works for me as well, but the backup policies still do not appear to work, despite the fact that the .cfg file is successfully created. I'm getting zero response from Acronis support, and I feel like the 29 bucks (or whatever it was) for the upgrade is totally wasted because backup policies is the reason why I decided to upgrade.

20. sawxray

sawxray Registered Member

Why is there no response from Acroniso_O

I upgraded to version 10.0, and no matter what I do, after I set up their scheduled backup location, no backup can be made.

I have read this thread, which has stretched over several weeks, and no significant response is evident.

For a product that preaches security, what a gaffe! I am running without backups, and feeling pretty insecure about it.

Shame on you, Acronis. I want my money back. I wish I could also be paid for the time I have wasted uninstalling version 9, buying version 10, installing version 10, setting up a backup location, scheduling all my backups, and THEN many hours trying to make it work. Can I bill you?

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

It just means you have to back-up manually and not use the scheduler till Acronis figures out what is wrong and how to fix it. BTW I upgraded from 9 to 10 today, but I still have ATI 9 just in case.

22. bluert

bluert Registered Member

I have upgraded from TI8 to TI10. With TI8 all my backups ran properly and TI8 has been the first and only solution, with which I could restore my disks successfully.
    Now, with TI10, I can no longer backup my Laptop Disk to a mapped network drive. Neither directly, nor into a defined Backup Storage. I can create Backup Storages on a network drive, and I can also see and select the network drives in the backup destinations. But all backups fail. When trying to backup the disk directly to the network drive I am getting the message, that the userid or password is wrong. I did not supply any userid or password. The authentification has already been done when creating the connection to the network drive.
    When I try to backup to a previously created Backup Storage, Acronis refuses to work with the message, that the destination cannot be opened.
    The only working backup is to an external USB-connected Trekstor drive.
    I reported this via the acronis support request 3 (three) times but Acronis does not care about.
    Has anyone fixed that problem by hisself or got any response from Acronis Support until today?
    Best regards
    Sigi

After doing another search in the forum I tried to backup to the network drive selecting: \\ipOfServer\share\backup.tib
    without supplying any userid or password. When creating the task Acronis took about 3-5 minutes to recognize the destination but - the backup worked !! This is not very convenient :-((
    Acronis Support did not answer for about one month. I even did not get a short mail that they received my request. I hope that the whole Acronis support departement (if Acronis have one) is not sick or dead??

Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
  23. kimhav

kimhav Registered Member

Well, I gave it some more testing on some more systems today and found out that if I made backup against a local drive connected via USB it worked fine when using pre-defined scheduled tasks. I then had two other system that wouldn't work against a NAS. What I found out was that if I instead of using the pre-defined Backup Locations and directly pointing to the directory path it worked absolutly without any problem - on both system I have used for this eval.

So in my case, I can only say that it seems that everything goes totally wrong when using the Backup Locations that I guess most of us defines.

24. vespertine

vespertine Registered Member

well.. this issue still isn't fixed in ATI 10 4942.. (6 months after the bug-report in this thread!!!)

is there a chance to get a fix or at least a decent answer from Acronis support?

it's not, that this bug is like a small typo or something.. it makes the whole product unusable for lots of customers who allready paid for it (like me).

:mad:

25. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello vespertine,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

We need some additional information to investigate this issue thoroughly and to provide you with a possible workaround.

Please collect the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the error message. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;
    - select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;
    - select the log with error messages;
    - click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon).

Please collect log files for both cases: when you used mapped drive and when used full UNC path.

Then submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Marat Setdikov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.