Does NOD interfere with wireless connectivity?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by rogervernon, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rogervernon

rogervernon Registered Member

I am pretty much of a novice about more complicated issues, but I have a problem with the built-in wireless card in my laptop talking to my wireless router. Using Zero Configuration it just won't work. The only cure has been to install a separate USB wireless device and disable zero config. An expert spent around four hours- paid - trying to make it work, but eventually thought there might be a conflict with another program. Now the only program I have installed (asfar as I know) which works at winsock level is NOD32.
    I also had a problem when using ONSPEED, (a dial-up legacy!), which claimed it could not accelerate emails due to incompatible software. Onspeed's winsock fix did not work either.
    Are these things related, I wonder. Surely wireless routers should work "out of the box" with an installed wireless system (latest type - laptop only 5 months old)? A computer illiterate neighbour just plugged his in and - no problem.
    Advice appreciated.
    Roger

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Well my NEC Versa laptop has nod32 on it and i run a wireless connection to my router using windows xp built in wifi service without too much problems.
    Are you able to detect your wireless network at all?

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I am not aware of any issues involving NOD32 and Wi-Fi (IEEE-802.11a/b/g) equipment. Does the software for the wireless card inside your laptop make any changes to the WinSock library used by the operating system?

I visited ONSPEED's web site at http://www.onspeed.com/, but most of their FAQ was offline, so I was unable to determine what their program might be doing which would conflict with NOD32. Based on the description, though, I would hazard a guess it might make changes to the WinSock library, perhaps for network or port address translation. If that is the case, it is possible it might not work with IMON.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. alglove

alglove Registered Member

There was a thread here recently about someone who was having trouble connecting wirelessly. It turns out that once he was having trouble until he uninstalled Intel's wireless utility. Once he uninstalled that, he was able to use the Windows Zero Configuration to set up the wireless, and everything went smoothly after that.

I only wish I could find that thread now. It was sometime within the last couple of weeks.....

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

HERE

Cheers :D

6. msrourke

msrourke Registered Member

The answer is yes..... I have a new HP notebook, I was using Avast and Outpost firewall no problems. My Avast sub ran out and I switched back to Nod, which I had used for years before switching to Avast for the past year. My wireless connection went nuts, kept dropping every few minutes, wouldn't connect at all, would show connected when it wasn't (and vice versa). I use windows Zero Config to manage my wireless on an XP machine, I uninstalled Nod and Outpost to no avail, used system restore and went back two weeks. I tried reloading Avast twice, before and after system restore, but something had changed from the Nod install and Avast would not work. I finally did a PC restore and started over with a clean OS install. After 2 days of no problems and no changes on my clean install (except for Windows updates), I again loaded Nod... back to square one, reformat hard drive, clean install.... back to Avast...:blink:

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I use a Linksys WMP54G pci card, and haven't encountered any problems.

8. msrourke

Mine is a built-in Broadcom card. FWIW, as part of my troubleshooting, I installed a USB wireless device, with the same results. Winsock issue??
    Also, my wife has the exact same laptop, she is using AVG Free, while I was having my problems, she was sailing along. For some reason, she won't let me install Nod on her computer, as a test... o_O

Last edited: Dec 11, 2006
  9. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Very strange... :D

Did you use the Windows Wireless service or drivers from the manufacturer?

10. msrourke

I tried both, I have been through three clean installs in 5 days, just trying various things. Everything works great until Nod is installed... Don't get me wrong, I like Nod, I wanted to go back to it, but it flat out won't work on my system. I put my fair share of work into trying.... o_O Oh, BTW, Window's Event Viewer was mysteriously quiet throughout all of this, more to the puzzle...

11. SSK

SSK Registered Member

One thing you could try is to install NOD without IMON, just to check if that's the problem...

12. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi rogervernon
    There are others here that are much more versed with NOD, than I am, so I will give what works for me and hope it helps.
    I have NOD on my laptop (router Zywall) with a Zywall M102 MIMO card. I use the card software to setup and configure the connectivity, but do not use the Windows Zero Configuaration WiFi.
    I would suggest that you disable the "built-in" wireless and try to get a matching PCMCIA (or USB) card (one that matches the router) and use the software that is supplied with the card.
    I do understand the ease of having the built-in WiFi card, however, IMHO it seems to be problematic to setup and limits any future expansion.

13. Blackspear

Sure sounds like it to me. Did you try repairing Winsock?

14. msrourke

Yes... but upon reboot, Nod undid my work...:'(

15. Blackspear

Did you then repair IMON and reboot?

16. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Have you verified with the wireless chipset manufacturer (Atheros, Broadcom, Intel, et cetera) that you have the latest device drivers for your wireless network interface card are installed? Also, if you view the properties for the network interface card in the Device Manager, are the power conservation settings for it disabled or set to "maximum performance?" The exact wording may differ depending upon the device drivers installed for the network interface card.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

17. msrourke

Yes, I tried turning IMON off, reboot, repair winsock,, reboot... With the wireless card built-in and an external USB wireless stick..

18. msrourke

Yes to all, and as I mentioned before, I also tried a USB stick... This has changed from wanting to switch back to Nod into a curiosity and now it is evolving into a mission... :D

19. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If everything worked ok pre nod install and not after it,it is doubtful its a driver prob,most likely something to do with Imon,have tried connecting with this disabled,not sure from your last reply whether you re-enabled it after running repair,I have never used custom install with nod,can you install Nod without Imon component?if you can try it and see if things work ok,at least in narrows your "mission" down a bit!
    Contact Tom Cruise in case its a "Mission Impossible" lol

20. Blackspear

No, I meant, Winsock Repair, reboot, IMON Repair, reboot.

See the following screenshot.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.