Virus Chaser - where to buy ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by boneo_scott, Oct 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boneo_scott

boneo_scott Registered Member

I've been told that Virus Chaser is a good antivirus......BUT..... where to buy Virus Chaser ??

I search around computer shops, go to Virus Chaser official web site http://www.viruschaser.com, eBay etc......but just no way to buy one. I can find the trial version but not a way to buy the licensed version. Are they doing business o_O

Anybody can tell o_O?

2. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

3. boneo_scott

boneo_scott Registered Member

Thanks rayoflight, i am not aware that their Hong Kong site provides online purchase.

Comparing to the price with the antivirus I use, Virus Chaser 2-year sounds quite attractive.

Virus Chaser 1-year ~US$37.18 vs. Symantec 2007 1-year ~US$39.99
    Virus Chaser 2-year ~US$50.00 vs. Symantec 2007 2-year ~US$74.99

Besides, what will I got after purchase from the Internet Download section ? Will i get the product immediately or have to proceed with others steps ?
    Is it a safe online purchase ?

Anyone try Virus Chaser online purchase before ?

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Once the purchase transaction is completed, you should receive your Virus Chaser license key within 15 minutes. Please note that I highly recommend using Internet Explorer instead of any other browser while purchasing Virus Chaser, as I have noted minor bugs with the Virus Chaser HK site using Firefox (and based products). Even though the bugs are minor, it can or can not affect your purchase transaction, which is why I recommend using IE.

After you have purchased Virus Chaser, install and update the software, then register your license here:

http://www.viruschaser.com.hk/eng/club/

This is not a required step AFAIK, but it will help a lot in case your license key is stolen or pirated, as the one who has registered it has firmly established himself/herself as the real license holder. :)

Virus Chaser is very light in my opinion and has a pretty interface, but is still a bit rough around the edges. But I must say that the support from Virus Chaser's Hong Kong outlet is outstanding. The support team does a great job. :)

5. 75160515

75160515 Registered Member

Virus Chaser < Dr.web
    Virus chaser is the fake spider :)
    Do you know what i mean?

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I'm not sure that's completely accurate. Virus chaser does have features that are not yet implemented in Dr Web; like encrypted quarantine, ehich will be added in 5.0. Also I believe there was an argument about whether or not Virus Chaser used heuristics. If not that would be a huge blow, as Dr Web's engine is one of the strongest available.

But I'd go for the Doc especially given their migration discount, which is 2 years for $33. There is a new version (5.0) which is due shortly, which can only bring improvements.

7. Firecat

Its not "fake"; its an Asian version of Dr.Web with lots of lipstick and makeup. :D

Anyway, Virus Chaser was developed by technical affiliation with Dr.Web, and the New Technology Wave R&D Center has an agreement with Dr.Web for co-operation of technical labs of both Dr.Web and NWI regarding malware analysis. Virus Chaser is a legal, licensed clone. :)

8. Firecat

Virus Chaser has additional features: mainly the encrypted quarantine, faster scanning speed and additional databases over the standard Dr.Web database. The heuristic analysis strength is indeed toned down as compared to Dr.Web though (From what I know its not completely disabled). :)

9. n8chavez

There you go. There's your answer. Between the migration discount, better heuristics, and the impending release of version 5.0 Dr. Web seems to be a far better solution for you as opposed to Virus Chaser.

10. Firecat

I would agree for the time being, but I will say that VC has much better support than Dr.Web (that does not mean Dr.Web support is bad, however).

It is possible VC may also be upgraded with another new version just around the horizon :doubt:

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

this is just my opinion but when I tested Dr web i absolutely hated it, i will explain why. the detection rate is no problem. the problem i had was with the interface. you have to configure every part in different interfaces. has no one told them to use one interface? four different interfaces to configure and four icons wtf why? I no you can make it show just one icon but they should just have one icon and one interface anyway. I did like the fact that before it booted up it found a Trojan on my old pc and got rid of it for me.

has the beta dr web only got one interface to configure? and one icon?
    if people think nod32 is hard to configure they should try DR Web ROFL.
    i have alot of knowledge of computer and i found it a nightmare to configure all the settings. nod32 is a better option it is also light and doesn't need four icons and four or more interfaces. if nod32 looks like its from windows 95 then DR Web
    looks like its from the start of windows 3.1 LOL.

also of course antivir is a good option as well.

lodore

12. Firecat

Dr.Web 5.0 should have a unified interface. Virus Chaser already has a single interface for all the modules with very simplified options compared to Dr.Web. VC's interface is also skinnable :D

I find VC's interface to be simple and elegantly designed and I hope Dr.Web takes note of this. :)

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i do think virus chaser does have a better interface. i also like the idea of the virus chaser usb version.

14. n8chavez

Wow!! I really don't understand your thinking here. Unless of course you just plain don't like Dr Web and you're just a bit jaded. But get your facts straight first. There are not four interfaces to configure, there is one. There are modules, true, but they are no different, nor as complex, as, say, NOD32. It is not difficult to configure. There is only one setting out of the box that you need to do in order to have maximum protection. That is enabling spiderguard to scan achieves. That's it. Would you prefer a convoluted interface like NOD32? The is no current beta of version 5. The beta refers to an integrate version of Dr Web and SpiderGate.

VC's interface is not nearly as easy to read and Dr Web's. It is simplistic for a reason.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i just didnt like it looking like so many interfaces and 4 icons in the taskbar.
    the detection rate and lightness is fine. each module has its own interface to configure doesn't it?

I prefer interfaces with all in one e.g. on access scanner
    mail scanner
    on demand scan
    etc.

i prefer one icon and one interface that can then select all the options and modules from it. i thought all av's now a days have that?
    lodore

16. n8chavez

Yes, in a way. But so does every AV product; NOD32 has AMON, IMON, DMON, and EMON, Kaspersky has file scanner, web scanner, pro active defense, etc. Just because an interface is not unified does not mean there are multiple interfaces. There are four icons but, as you said, you can disable three of them.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

true but i still dont see why they have four icons. they could just have an interface that shows the status showing if your protected and what is on.

its nothing against dr web as such its just pointing out that i think they should kinda update it and make a better interface. aka make it more unified.

can you post some images showing it has only one interface?
    since i tryed it ages ago.

18. n8chavez

can you post some images showing it has only one interface?
    since i tryed it ages ago.[/QUOTE]

No I can't post those screenshots because they don't exist. But you're saying that Dr Web has four interfaces and that's not true. There is only one main interface, as there is with every AV. It is only possible to have one interface. I really don't understand your aversion here. It's not like you you have to deal with these "interfaces" all the time; just set them up once, if you even have to do that, and let them be. Just config these to show the one icon.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

No I can't post those screenshots because they don't exist. But you're saying that Dr Web has four interfaces and that's not true. There is only one main interface, as there is with every AV. It is only possible to have one interface. I really don't understand your aversion here. It's not like you you have to deal with these "interfaces" all the time; just set them up once, if you even have to do that, and let them be. Just config these to show the one icon.[/QUOTE]

what i ment was like all av's each module has its own menu. but there not intergrated in to one interface e.g. nod32 kav f-secure antivir. and bacially all other av's one interface and you click on the right part e.g. amon then click configure. where as what i found with DR web was i had to go to program files and click on different parts there to change other modules. i guess they give you four icons to make it easy to change settings by right clicking the icons.

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Granted that there are several icons in the system tray after an install BUT you can then simply configure settings to see ONLY the SpIDerGuard icon.

Alternatively, under XP you can simply use the "always hide" setting.

21. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

lodore - we know you like to use antivir, but please don't hijack this thread. The original thread is where to buy Viruschaser, not where to buy antivir.

Also technodrome answered a while back in August about your tray questions.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=826829#post826829

Let's be fair here :)

22. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I was giving examples of av's that had a unified interface and said kav nod32 and antivir. i didnt just put antivir. and i still think dr web should update there interfaces. but im done now.

23. Firecat

I like the VC USB edition interface even better than the standard VC :)

@n8chavez: I think what lodore means to say is that he doesn't like the fact that there are four tray icons by default in Dr.Web. If you disable the tray icons and keep only SpiderGuard icon, you will need to individually launch each module's settings to check on their status. What lodore means is that Dr.Web should have a single center from where every module can be set and configured and the status of each module can be reported, similar to what VC is doing at the moment.

24. n8chavez

Agreed. But that should have nothing to do with whether or not to buy Dr Web, or conversly Virus Chaser which was the point of the thread. I don't want people to get the wrong idea; this is a trivial issue, one that I happen to agree with, but it shouldn't enter someone's thinking process. That was my point. Yes it would be nice but it is trivial.

25. Firecat

Well, I agree, its a pretty trivial thing. The only problem is that such small things often hamper the first impression of the customer on Dr.Web. I will admit that even I felt it difficult to configure Dr.Web at first glance, but once you start configuring it, it gets quite simple really. But this may not apply to everyone. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.