"Operation has completed with errors"

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by martinlest, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martinlest

martinlest Registered Member

I see several people have posted under this heading, but I haven't found a solution in any of the threads.

A couple of days ago, I was trying to restore my C (active) partition to its original location on my laptop and received this error message. I thought it was just a one-off problem and so I tried again - and that time the restore worked OK (except that I lost my shared internet connection, which was working fine before, and which I have not been able to get back again since, no matter how many network setup wizards I run - but that another story...).

Today I wanted to restore my active, C partition on my PC (original location). Again, I get the "Operation has completed with errors" message when Acronis (3677) has rebooted and just begun the restoration process. No changes are made to the partition. The image, which is on a separate partition on my hard drive, validates fine and I can restore individual files from it.

Any ideas please? Thanks.

Martin

2. martinlest

Acronis, any comments on this please?

Martin

3. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Martin,

since moving to a SATA2 drive I have the same problem. I can recover non primary partitions since Windows ATI does restore OK. Thanks to posts on this forum I have burned a BartPE which does allow me a workround of being able to restore my Primary partition, but this should be done using the Linux boot.

I raised one support request with acronis who quickly bounced it back telling me it was a hardware problem (do they ever read the content of the support requests?) and then ignored my reply.

If your problem is similar to mine the problem would seem likely to be solved by an update to the SATA2 driver(s) distributed with the Linux environment. Acronis have been very slow even acknowledging this problem as far as I can see.

F.

4. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

Martin,

When an image validates and mounts but does not restore properly, the culprit may be faulty memory (even if no other program detects the fault).

You may want to run the free Memtest86+ for at least a few hours, better still if overnight. Anything above zero errors is too much.

5. martinlest

Hi. To be honest, I doubt it has anything to do with the hardware: the image wouldn't reinstall on either of my machines. In any case, the memory on the laptop has just been given a workout with MemTest (for other reasons) and came out fine.

No need to run MemTest "overnight" by the way (see their website). If you give it a half-dozen cycles or so, and nothing above zero comes up, you're 99.99% certain to be OK.

M.

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Martin,

Are you talking about Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) or Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/). Hopefully the latter, as it's a much more up to date and reliable version.

Apart from faulty RAM modules, memory errors can also be caused by the motherboard, CPU, memory controller, etc. All these are affected to a greater or lesser degree by their operating temperatures, which may well not reach steady state until stressed for a couple of hours at least. So unless one enjoys watching paint drying, leaving Memtest86+ running overnight whilst you are safely tucked up in bed might not be such a bad idea ;) :D.

Regards

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I disagree, and I say this with respect for the people who wrote memtest! I had marginal memory that took about 6hrs before the first errors showed up which was likely thermally related. Interestingly I have had several cases where the only test that fails is the random write. Walking 1s and similar patterns never show up the errors even though it was the same bit that failed each time. Also, memtest and other pure memory diagnostics aren't running in the same environment as TI with the disk, heavy processor activity running concurrently. Reduce the 0.01% by running overnight.

8. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

The following is from Memtest86+ FAQ-Please read before posting (Official forum sticky):

"To conclude, one successful pass of memtest will give you a pretty good
    idea that your memory is ok, only in rare cases will there be errors
    showing after the first pass. To be sure though simply have the test run
    overnight or even for a couple of days depending on the level of importance of the system."

9. martinlest

Well I could give it a go, but advice on the net (and in PC magazines) is conflicting about how long to run these tests. Last time, I ran it for about 15 full cycles as far as I recall.

Given that the memory on this machine is used very intensively (for gaming) and I have never seen any other problems - great frame rates even in Flight Simulator & the like, it strikes me as unlikely that the hardware would be the reason for ATI failing - but nothing is impossible I agree!

M.

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

You certainly could be correct but this is a process of elimination. I will repeat my usual pontification that it only takes 1 bad bit in a multi-gigabyte archive to have it fail. Even though gaming can put a high load on a system a bad bit could easily escape notice if say a graphics file is loaded into that location.

11. martinlest

Ran Memtest86+ overnight - it went through 20 cycles. Zero errors reported, so I doubt the memory is the cause of the problem.

M.

12. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

O.K. I agree that pretty well eliminates the memory. Now try running chkdsk X: /r from a command prompt on each of the partitions of the hard drive in turn (substitute X for the partition letter being tested).

Regards

13. martinlest

Thanks, but I have done that very recently, certainly since the restor problem - no errors found (I added an /f switch to fix any, but none were reported).

I also ran Norton Disk Doctor & Win Doctor this morning: again, all reported OK

M.

14. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

Hmmm.. Seeing that you have some Norton activities on your computer I wonder if you have activated Go-Back. this does not play nice with True Image.

Xpilot

15. martinlest

No. no GoBack installed.

Of course it is going to be difficult to troubleshoot this properly now, as I have already set up my C drive again from scratch. I certainly don't want to start trying to overwrite it with an ATI image. I have a new ATI image now - I should try restoring it to a 'spare' partition at some time. I can certainly extract files from it OK. But then I could do so from the image that refused to restore.

I wonder if I had formatted the partition and then tried to copy the ATI image to it, whether that might have worked. Too late to test that now, for this time at least.

M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.